Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is California's top second tier city?
Sacramento 22 25.00%
Long Beach 8 9.09%
Oakland 17 19.32%
San Jose 38 43.18%
Fresno 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times

Advertisements

I think everyone will agree that the top tier cities in California are Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. Factors include population, cultural and historical significance, and contemporary influence on economics and regional development. Though not necessarily in that order, they are the indisputable three.

The question is, which is the top second tier. Hopefully someone will be able to prove this empirically. I would try but do not have the time... Regardless, anyone in California would say the next tier cities are San Jose, Long Beach, Oakland, and Sacramento - again, not necessarily in that order. Some advantages of each are that

a) Long Beach and Oakland both have some of the largest ports in the country
b) Sacramento is the California capital
c) San Jose is the self proclaimed capital of Silicon Valley and while it does have a large population, it's not necessarily a plus to some.

I'm also going to include Fresno for kicks and giggles. I wouldn't exactly call it the most important but it is a growing city and has regional influence in the Central Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 PM

36,654 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I think everyone will agree that the top tier cities in California are Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. Factors include population, cultural and historical significance, and contemporary influence on economics and regional development. Though not necessarily in that order, they are the indisputable three.
I would still place San Diego 3rd overall for CA, however I would place San Jose above San Diego as far as contemporary influence on economics and regional development.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
I would normally use metros, not city limits, but with that criteria LA is on it's own tier. SF, Sandy Eggo and San Jose are pretty much tied. Sacramento is next. Then Oakland/Long Beach (tie) followed by Anaheim, Fresno, and Bakersfield.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,252 times
I think Sacramento trumps San Jose because Sacramento has it's own distinct metro area that stretches from the borders of the bay area to the foothills of the sierras. In addition, Sacramento has a larger population than San Jose's metro and also has a more distinct and interesting urban core.

However, San Jose is a lot more important place in terms of its influence in the international technology economy. I'll give it that much.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I would normally use metros, not city limits, but with that criteria LA is on it's own tier. SF, Sandy Eggo and San Jose are pretty much tied. Sacramento is next. Then Oakland/Long Beach (tie) followed by Anaheim, Fresno, and Bakersfield.
I can live with this^ although I would definitey place Oakland above Long Beach since Oakland has 3 pro sports teams, Oakland has a far larger international airport(while LB obviously has a bigger port), Oakland also has a bigger Downtown and greater corporate presence, is a larger job center and imo is more of a big city even though LB has more people.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
I'm prone to put LA and SF in the same tier (more or less), with SD coming in 2nd. I put Sacramento third because, as it has been mentioned, it is the sole center of its own metro area (the next largest after the top 3) and of course, it is the seat of state government.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I think Sacramento trumps San Jose because Sacramento has it's own distinct metro area that stretches from the borders of the bay area to the foothills of the sierras. In addition, Sacramento has a larger population than San Jose's metro and also has a more distinct and interesting urban core.

However, San Jose is a lot more important place in terms of its influence in the international technology economy. I'll give it that much.
I might even be inclined to rank Sacramento 3rd because of its role in the state and the statewide implications of things that occur there.

I would definitely place Sacramento in the Top 5 ahead of Oakland and Long Beach overall.

Fresno is another one that's hard to rank because its area of influence is so huge.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:51 PM

In terms of size and importance:

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. San Diego
4. Sacramento
5. San Jose
6. Oakland
7. Long Beach
8. Fresno

In terms of culture and amenities by tier

1. Los Angeles and San Francisco

2. San Diego

3. Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose

4. The rest

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I can live with this^ although I would definitey place Oakland above Long Beach since Oakland has 3 pro sports teams, Oakland has a far larger international airport(while LB obviously has a bigger port), Oakland also has a bigger Downtown and greater corporate presence, is a larger job center and imo is more of a big city even though LB has more people.
Oakland is way ahead of Long Beach in my book. Also, way ahead of San Jose in terms of just being a cool and interesting city.

San Jose, even with all it's amazing technology companies, is just sooooooo BLAAAH.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Oakland is way ahead of Long Beach in my book. Also, way ahead of San Jose in terms of just being a cool and interesting city.

San Jose, even with all it's amazing technology companies, is just sooooooo BLAAAH.
Long Beach has a much nicer waterfront. It has the larger grossing port, and even has it's own WTC.

http://www.stonecreekllc.com/images/Long-Beach-World-Trade-Center.jpg (broken link)

It also has the better skyline.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California