Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Triple Net commercial Leases routinely pass all the costs to the renter... taxes, repairs... roof, plumbing, electrical, painting, floors, etc...

Every unusual in residential.

In some ways... jurisdictions like mine with rent control provide tenant protection irregardless of the building changing hands and rising costs.

NNN makes sense to me but you're right, it's practically unknown in residential.

There's a simple way to end rent control worries, and landlords have used it in at least a few states.

Buy legislators and get them to pass a ban on rent controls. Problem solved.

I consider zoning (supply controls) and rent control (price controls) opposite sides of the same regulatory coin; I would that either both are prohibited or both are permitted.

Allowing supply controls without price controls is like handing landlords a ticket to gouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 AM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I believe renters should explicitly bear any property tax increases, and also should explicitly benefit from any property tax cuts. How come landlords want it to work in only one direction?

Simple ... Because they OWN the property. The bottom line is profit for any business person.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's true and renters also don't have to worry about the liabilities, either. They can trash the place, refuse to pay rent and end up costing the landlord plenty to get them out. Repairs are expensive and time consuming, too. You may be a good renter but there are plenty of them out there who aren't and they don't hesitate to make that known when they leave a place in shambles. Again, tell me why a renter should enjoy the benefits of Prop 13.

This is something I don't understand, and it's something of great concern to me, perhaps because I have so little income to work with.

Yes they can trash the place, but then what? Specifically, where are they going to live AFTER leaving the last place they trashed? That's something I think about, although apparently it's something not considered by those who trash rental units.

I suppose that if you're flush with cash, you can rent a new place after you trash the old place as long as you put down a sufficiently large deposit. There's no way I could come up with a sufficiently large deposit, whatever that might be. Since I have so little income available, I literally can't afford to do anything that would detract further from my ability to rent a place. As it is, my (lack of) income makes me ineligible for most places.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Simple ... Because they OWN the property. The bottom line is profit for any business person.

Sounds like something government could address. (Sorry, but landlords are just asking for regulation here.)

Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 AM

You are, apparently, a good renter and a landlord would be happy to have someone like you taking care of their investment. Unfortunately, there are more people who just don't care. Sad but true.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sounds like something government could address. (Sorry, but landlords are just asking for regulation here.)

Doesn't the Department of Fair Housing address the issue? You might want to check. Just a suggestion. And, if you have such a low income, you would probably qualify for Section 8 housing.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Property Values have fallen markedly and assessed values have not... the Assessor in one county specifically excludes "Distress" sales as comparables...

You can file an appeal for reassessment, based on the value of your property. Assessors have a form "Informal Decline in Value Review." If you're not satisfied with the result of the review, you may choose to formally appeal the assessed value with the independent Assessment Appeals Board. That is filed with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors office in your county.

We didn't like it when our property values dropped because of foreclosures but they did, anyway. The assessor was obligated to reassess our properties which did lower the tax burden but it also meant a loss in equity.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:07 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
It's simple - buying a house is a long-term investment in a community. Prop 13 rewards that.
Renters make no commitment to their communities, and the law recognizes that.

Prop 13 is there to keep long-time home owners from being priced out of their homes and experiencing financial loss/personal+social upheaval involved in selling and having to buy elsewhere.

Renters can come and go as they please, they're expected to move every few years anyways.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
If you are that poor you would qualify for Section 8 as addressed above. I can't afford to rent in La Jolla so I would look somewhere cheaper. I've seen trailer homes for rent under 400 a month.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
You can file an appeal for reassessment, based on the value of your property. Assessors have a form "Informal Decline in Value Review." If you're not satisfied with the result of the review, you may choose to formally appeal the assessed value with the independent Assessment Appeals Board. That is filed with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors office in your county.

We didn't like it when our property values dropped because of foreclosures but they did, anyway. The assessor was obligated to reassess our properties which did lower the tax burden but it also meant a loss in equity.
I have a good track record with Informal Appeals till last year.

Three years ago, the Assessor made a significant reduction... not as low as it should be, none the less, it was acceptable.

Last year, the Assessment increased 23 percent to what I paid for the property in 2004.

I requested the informal appeal, submitted 22 comparables and spoke to the appraiser on staff with the county.

The day after the last day to file for a formal appeal, I received a letter saying my property is properly assessed... I immediately called and learned my comps could not be used because they were distress sales which is different for what I was told before.

By then, it was too late to file.

My brother lives in another county and the Assessor is very proactive...

Alameda County has changed and is now adversarial since the $50 appeal fee went into affect because too many people were appealing.

This year, I was told if anything, my value was low and that my home was actually worth more than I paid for it in 2004... so I went for the outside firm which has number to support a 30% reduction... time will tell.

Looks like I will be filing yearly appeals from now on...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-28-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: