Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 36,638 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

My husband is in the Air Force and we are PCSing to Edwards AFB in April 2012. We have 2 young children and there is a good chance my husband will get deployed soon after we arrive at Edwards, so I am looking for a nice, safe place to rent a home. Something within 30 minutes or less to Edwards AFB.

Also would like to know which Elementary schools are the best.

Should we look in Lancaster, Palmdale, Rosamond, California city etc? Really need a place where I can feel safe when my husband is not home.

Of course living on base would be our first choice, but as of right now there are no houses open, so off-base may be our only choice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 31,979 times
My husband and I just relocated to the area a couple of months ago. After a little searching, we found a nice place in California City. It is 1900 square foot, 4 bedrooms, and we pay $800/mo. The area we live in is pretty isolated and nice. I take walks with my two year old son often. We were also more interested in having less of a commute and having a nicer area to live then about being close to everything. We lived in temp housing on base for about a month, while we looked for a house to rent since there is a strong chance we may not be here long. AHRN.com was a great site to use, before we came here we had researched much online, and had pretty much decided that based on pricing, commute and such, that California City sounded like our best option, then using the AHRN site, we found a lot of listings for the area. There were some that were not too great, but there were many that were worth the look, The drive from California City is about 20 minutes, though it has very little as far as business. Most of your shopping will come from online, the base, or other cities if you live here, which has not been as much as a problem as I had originally thought. They have a few mini-markets, a family dollar, a few nice restaurants, but for major grocery shopping and other stores, Mojave is the closest, other then Edwards.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM

19 posts, read 57,518 times
California City is about 20 minutes from Edwards, and the housing is cheap, but that's about all it has to recommend it. If you can't shop for it at Rite-Aid (Rite-Aid is still open, I think) you'll have at least 20 minute drive to get anything. Cal City also has an influx of ATVs, ORVs, bikes etc during the weekends and most holidays as they have huge expanses of desert to ride around in. Like a lot of small dusty towns out here they have a bit more than their share of shady people, but I do know a number of perfectly respectable people who live there too.
I wouldn't go to Mojave or North Edwards, just too limited if you're going to be on your own. Rosamond is also close to the base, has a grocery store, you could check out that too.
The west sides of Lancaster and Palmdale are probably the "nicest areas" but the drive is about 45-50 mins to the base. Tehachapi is quite nice but a real long drive, and sometimes they close the highway due to snow in the winter.
I'd enroll my kids in school on base if you can.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 29,311 times
Default help for you?

I have a little house in edwards if you are interested, $650 a month, 3/1 with food storage and a 2 car garage/shop. No crime, and the neighbors are protective and wonderful. Holly 818 nine one nine 3555. It's available now.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,508,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgardener View Post
California City is about 20 minutes from Edwards, and the housing is cheap, but that's about all it has to recommend it...
The west sides of Lancaster and Palmdale are probably the "nicest areas" but the drive is about 45-50 mins to the base. Tehachapi is quite nice but a real long drive, and sometimes they close the highway due to snow in the winter.
I'd enroll my kids in school on base if you can.
I would agree with the underlined. Anything in the 93536 zip code or the 93551 is good. The 93552 is the best!

93536 -- West Lancaster / Quartz Hill / Antelope Acres
93551 -- West Palmdale / Leona Valley / Lake Elizabeth
93552 -- West Palmdale / Quartz Hill / Goedde Hill Estates

Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM

102 posts, read 511,453 times
I am not sure if you are still looking. West Lancaster/ West Palmdale, and Tehachapi are all nice, but quite the drive. Honestly I would also look in Rosamond, it is a small town, but being from a military family myself I have had many friends live in Rosamond while they were at Edwards. CA city is a little far from civilization. Rosamond is close to the base and not too far from the shopping in Lancaster/Palmdale. I live in Quartz Hill, but the commute to the base is not always fun. But on the upside, you will pretty much never run into traffic jams.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California