Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,564,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Oh another thing about Flori-duh. They don't do any state inspections of cars. That's right.

The woman I just mentioned who hit and killed the little girl was driving a 1995 SUV with bald tires and bad brakes.

She used a bungee cord to keep the door closed.

Try doing that in CA.

CA has its problems, but it is much better than FL in so many ways.

Besides having better weather, at least CA tries to keep the unisured, unlicensed, and those driving unsafe vehichles off the road.

Anything goes in FL. Which is why it Orlando, Tampa, Miami, and then Jacksonville are the top 4 cities in the nation for hit and runs.

Yeah...it's stress free....LOL!
There is no safety inspection in California for passenger cars. You can drive on bald tires, bad brakes with bungee chords to keep the doors closed all you want. I've seen a lot worse in fact. The only thing they care about is emissions testing once every 2 years. Thats it. Once in a blue moon a cop might pull you over for a cracked windshield, tinted front windows or missing front plate. Mostly they use it as an excuse to harass people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
There is no safety inspection in California for passenger cars. You can drive on bald tires, bad brakes with bungee chords to keep the doors closed all you want. I've seen a lot worse in fact. The only thing they care about is emissions testing once every 2 years. Thats it. Once in a blue moon a cop might pull you over for a cracked windshield, tinted front windows or missing front plate. Mostly they use it as an excuse to harass people.

I don't think so. As someone who lived in CA for 20 plus years when I took my car in they also looked at your tire treads and tested your brakes. Every other year you had to get an inspection.

There was more to the test then just seeing if you passed the smog check.

And in the LA area they would also do stops(similar to DUI stops) checking to see if drivers had car insurance.

In CA an uninsured motorist is having their car towed. End of story.

In FL they get a ticket and drive off, which is why an estimated 40% of FL drivers have no car insurance. There is no real incentive to have insurance as they never lose their car. Which is why FL is #1 in hit and runs.

If you have a car crash in FL, even if it's not your fault you need to be fully covered, because everything goes against YOUR policy. Including medical costs....it goes against your coverage, not the person who hit you.

FL is by no means a low stress state. Oh, and they're also allowed to bring guns to work, just leave em in your car....yeah low stress....LOL.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,807,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I think you may have missed the point of the picture. Wives being fearless is considered a bad thing by them. Hence misogyny.
But women have been all but given equal rights to education and employment in this society. This is a great product of the feminist movement.

Some women have also become confused, told they have to be beautiful, be the best girlfriend/sister, best wife, best career-driven individual. As a result, some women that may not even be physically attractive become "emboldened" and arrogant because they feel like they have to communicate an aura and presence of power. This can transcend into negative treatment of husbands. It's not misogynist to call some women fearless, at least in the way they act; it's literally true.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
I don't think so. As someone who lived in CA for 20 plus years when I took my car in they also looked at your tire treads and tested your brakes. Every other year you had to get an inspection.

And in the LA area they would also do stops(similar to DUI stops) checking to see if drivers had car insurance.

How long have you been gone? Smog checks are every 4 years on newer cars now. I've never had a tester do anything but check for a "check engine light" and look under the hood for illegal modifications before testing the emissions.

They're not even impounding cars of unlicensed drivers now in some places lie LA. Its too much of an inconvenience for the unlicensed, uninsured illegals.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:01 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times
I don't understand this post war going on here. The original post was just to inform people thinking about moving to CA to be warned its not what it once was. But I think this is true of most places nation and worldwide. In 1994 I could walk out of one job and into another in a day. Life seemed easier, simpler.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I escaped Pennsylvania for California in the 1992. I was being paid three times as much for the same job in San Francisco. I got enough money and retired in 1998. Now I live in Arizona where I can live comfortably on what I made. It's the free enterprise system.
As Bayareahillbilly pointed out, this may have been true in the past, but is not true now. I work in the public sector for a large city and our pensions are going to be scaled back or eliminated entirely. What worked in CA 20 or 30 years ago isn't necessarily going to work today...and that was Hillbilly's point.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As Bayareahillbilly pointed out, this may have been true in the past, but is not true now. I work in the public sector for a large city and our pensions are going to be scaled back or eliminated entirely. What worked in CA 20 or 30 years ago isn't necessarily going to work today...and that was Hillbilly's point.
And a lot of the old people giving advise and telling younger people "I did this, so should you" don't realize how much has changed.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,564,228 times
Quote:

In FL they get a ticket and drive off, which is why an estimated 40% of FL drivers have no car insurance. There is no real incentive to have insurance as they never lose their car. Which is why FL is #1 in hit and runs.

If you have a car crash in FL, even if it's not your fault you need to be fully covered, because everything goes against YOUR policy. Including medical costs....it goes against your coverage, not the person who hit you.

FL is by no means a low stress state. Oh, and they're also allowed to bring guns to work, just leave em in your car....yeah low stress....LOL.
As someone that has also lived in California for 20 years I can tell you that you're wrong. The ONLY thing they care about is emissions.
Bureau of Automotive Repair, State of California, Dept. of Consumer Affairs
http://www.lao.ca.gov/ballot/2007/070858.pdf

Quote:
. Failure to provide proof of insurance can lead to denial of the application for registration, the issuance of a citation,
and/or suspension of vehicle registration. An uninsured driver who is involved in a
collision could have his/her driving privileges restricted or suspended for one year.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:21 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:

Ehh...how long has it been since you lived here? I've never had them do any additional inspecting when I've had my smog checks done. Doing stops to see if you have insurance? I've never experienced that, either. In fact, I was hit by an uninsured driver.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Ehh...how long has it been since you lived here? I've never had them do any additional inspecting when I've had my smog checks done. Doing stops to see if you have insurance? I've never experienced that, either. In fact, I was hit by an uninsured driver.

I left in 2008, and I remember the guy checking the tires and the brakes. In addition to the emissions test.

And in the LA area they were doing insurance checks similar to DUI stops.

They also ran ads on TV(car insurance companies) on how when you canceled your insurance the DMV was notified.

I'm not saying there aren't any uninsured drivers in CA, but if they're caught the car is going to the impound lot.

In FL if someone is pulled over for a traffic stop and they have no car insurance, they get a ticket for that and drive off.

I prefer the CA way. And most states will impound your car(as they should) when you drive with no car insurance.

Try driving in LA, and then try driving in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California