Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
California is great for those with no education or job skills -- that's exactly why it's the top destination of those from south of the border with large numbers of kids they cannot feed back home where the cost of living is very very low.

Cost of living doesn't matter if you're looking for Section 8 housing, food stamps, Medicaid and so on.

And the governor is now promising them first dibs at college money. That certainly makes California very appealing to the illiterate third world types moving in.
I find it interesting that adults can be so wrong. It is what happens when beliefs outweigh facts.

PS. text of dream act
Quote:
Existing law requires that a person, other than a nonimmigrant alien, as defined, who has attended high school in California for 3 or more years, who has graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent thereof, who has registered at or attends an accredited institution of higher education in California not earlier than the fall semester or quarter of the 2001–02 academic year, and who, if he or she is an alien without lawful immigration status, has filed a prescribed affidavit, is exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges and the California State University.
This bill would enact the California Dream Act of 2011.
This bill would provide that, on and after January 1, 2012, a student attending the California State University, the California Community Colleges, or the University of California who is exempt from paying nonresident tuition under the provision described above would be eligible to receive a scholarship derived from nonstate funds received, for the purpose of scholarships, by the segment at which he or she is a student.
The idea of "anchor babies" stems primarily from the habit of wealthy Mexicans to fly to America to have their babies, due to the quality of medical care here. Those families then return to Mexico. They are not immigrants, they are not illegals, they have no intention of remaining in the US or having their kids remain in the US.

The idea that pregnant poor Mexicans storm the borders to have babies in the US has not stood up under scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I find it interesting that adults can be so wrong. It is what happens when beliefs outweigh facts.

PS. text of dream act

The idea of "anchor babies" stems primarily from the habit of wealthy Mexicans to fly to America to have their babies, due to the quality of medical care here. Those families then return to Mexico. They are not immigrants, they are not illegals, they have no intention of remaining in the US or having their kids remain in the US.

The idea that pregnant poor Mexicans storm the borders to have babies in the US has not stood up under scrutiny.
Yes ... whoops ... I mis-wrote ... the 'qualified' undocumented do NOT receive 2% of state scholarship funds ... the projected number of undocumented students applying for the 'private scholarship' funding and state tuition is projected to be less than 2% of the population applying. And the undocumented applications will only be processed after all documented citizens are taken care of first, I believe.

Anchor-baby myth debunked ... one source ... if you don't like the source, look it up yourself there are many other reports and studies all arriving at the same conclusion:
'Anchor baby' myth is pure fear-mongering - Los Angeles Times

Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Thanks for the education...
This is a bit of a tangent, but maybe not...
We have no bias against Mexicans in Wisconsin never had, we have migrant workers yes some stay... With that said I have always been shocked at the middle and upper middle class Californians attitude towards America's latest wave of immigrants....
Seriously, I have had to "correct" my California family more than once on the attitude...

This coming from a Pre WWII German immigrants son, who has heard the stories of segregation and oppression... However he fought back and flattened the nose of any kid that picked on him for being a Kraut... You folks are darn tootin lucky your influx of immigrants are passive and docile, unlike the Irish, Italian and German immigrants of the past...s

Please do not get me started on the cost of health care verses lifespan in the USA... We are off the charts with only Mexico and a slew of third world nations in worse shape... EVERY "first world" nation blows the doors of the USA for health care cost verses life span.... Trust me... If Mexicans could get to Canada easier THAT is where they would go..

Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 PM

457 posts, read 757,104 times
Quote:
California is great for those with no education or job skills -- that's exactly why it's the top destination of those from south of the border with large numbers of kids they cannot feed back home where the cost of living is very very low.

Cost of living doesn't matter if you're looking for Section 8 housing, food stamps, Medicaid and so on.

And the governor is now promising them first dibs at college money. That certainly makes California very appealing to the illiterate third world types moving in.
Exactly, the top destination for illiterates to work in a large white collar hi-tech and media industry dominated state.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Don't worry Mr. Hillbilly .... I have zero desire to live in a state filled with ' living high on the hog people ' and ' what you drive is what you are '. If I had stayed in L.A. I'd still be a slave to money ... Now, I live on the Beach in FLORIDA .... Traveling to exotic locales, new hobbies, new firends, way less stress ... all year round warm climate. I'm typing this looking out over the Atlantic Ocean ... Clear blue & green water, white sand ... Tonight I'll go walking, in shorts and t-shirt on the soft white sand - no crowds.

Schwarzenegger ran your state down the sh*tter ....

I feel sorry for anyone residing in Kalifornia, today.

Peace
It's actually pretty good where I sit right now. It's not perfect, but no place is. You should probably restrict your observations to your own personal experience and recognize that others' mileage may vary in any given state. Also, most of us here are not what you see on reality TV shows.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is a bit of a vent.

I'm getting sort of tired of telling people who are down on their luck "back East" and wanting to "escape" to CA, that this is probably not where they want to move to.

I can well remember the 1980s - all those rusted out "back East" cars showing up with PA, NJ, MI, IL (etc, etc) plates. At that time, that was a good move. Relatively speaking (especially '83 - '87) we had lots of good MANUFACTURING jobs (and many good low level technology jobs). Many a former tool maker or auto employee found good work here.

THOSE DAYS ARE GONE FOREVER. We have the 2nd worst unemployment in the US, and meanwhile, other than areas in the country, exurbs and other places with long commutes, high crime, lots of foreclosures, no jobs, etc, prices here have not relaxed all that much. It is still very expensive. A really bad combo - poor work prospects and high cost of living.

Unless you have at least a bachelors, lots of cash, and, a really, really good plan, DO NOT ... I repeat ... DO NOT consider these your greener pastures.
Based on what other people have said on here about living in California in the 80's, I think that I would rather live in the Golden State now than back then.

I' am in Texas right now and although I love it here, my desire is to get back out to Cali soon and despite the economy in Cali, I' am confident that I can do well if I plan my move well, save money, and stick with my current major (i.e. Environmental Science). Going into forestry or a park ranger job in California would be my ultimate goal, and I' am motivated enough to achieve that goal.

I know that California is still expensive compared to most areas in the country, but with smart financial planning and career planning, anyone can go to Cali, even today, and make it. You just can't be lazy about it. You have to have the desire, and motivation to succeed to the point where a move to California would be feasible.

I agree that you have to save money before making the move, but you also have to again, have motivation and take the initiative to do what you need to do to achieve your goals. I do have that and CAN'T WAIT to get back in California.

Last edited by Newbe10; 01-27-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

PS. text of dream act

The rich who return are not having the "anchors". The term "anchor" is just like a boat anchor that you throw out and then using that anchor you stay put and start bringing the others in.

Those who go home aren't trying to anchor themselves here.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:15 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
The rich who return are not having the "anchors". The term "anchor" is just like a boat anchor that you throw out and then using that anchor you stay put and start bringing the others in.

Those who go home aren't trying to anchor themselves here.
Correct. On one count:
The rich Mexicans who have babies here and return to Mexico aren't having 'anchor babies'.

But neither are most of the illegals who stay.
That's the point of the research and studies that report the fallacy of the "anchor baby myth".
Some illegals have babies here -- and some of them stay.
But that is not the reason the illegals come here.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Correct. On one count:
The rich Mexicans who have babies here and return to Mexico aren't having 'anchor babies'.

But neither are most of the illegals who stay.
That's the point of the research and studies that report the fallacy of the "anchor baby myth".
Some illegals have babies here -- and some of them stay.
But that is not the reason the illegals come here.
Regardless of their reasons, the fact is that illegals are producing new poverty stricken citizens that we're then obligated to support. Sorry, we have enough poor people in this country already without another country making more for us.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 AM

459 posts, read 724,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
News Flash: It has not been just California that has political leaders that have acted in irresponsible ways....
You know what? Thank you.

All you people "hating" on California (that's right, it's spelled with a 'C') should know this:
We live in California and we are all doing fine here, no need to come and tell us how bad we're all doing.
I L-L-LOVE the way you guys look at CA and talk about our previous governor. We have a new one, his name is Jerry Brown and he's still more famous than...Rick Scott? Who IS that?
It's really a jealousy thing, I think. Florida is the East Coast's mini-California, but you guys aren't doing a good job.
Seriously, our economy is bad, but whose isn't? Come off it already, pal.

(The one time I can agree with Timbers and Highnlite)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California