Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,393,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Actually the numbers would say you are wrong.

It is still true that a middle class blue collar person will fare relatively well in Texas.
It won't be true for long: Texas' mode of development is unsustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 04:12 AM

620 posts, read 1,199,440 times
I agree, I lived in such a big house in Tennessee and it costed 150k. Now I live in a cramped apartment and the rent is 2100. We barley make it.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
and is this your opinion or do you have something to back it up? I look at it this way: I don't think it is even near as bad as the Op would like people to think, but will California ever be what it was 40 years ago? Probably not. What many people do not understand though, property has always been very high. I can remember the shock I had when we moved from California to the D.C. area in the early 80s. We choose to temporarily rent out house and rent in D.C. We paid for rent, exactly what we rented our Glendora house for, but in NOVA we were much closer to the city and had about 60% more square footage, in a nicer neighborhood. Our daughter sold her home in the Dallas area about 2 years ago, to move closer to us and her grandkids. The house they sold, in a very nice upper end neighborhood sold for just under $250,000. In Calif, even today, it would have gone for about a mil or very close.

California will always hold a magic charm for many, but unless some changes are made, it will lose some of the glow. Look at cities around the country and states as well. Yesterdays boom is gone for some and for others it has just begun. I think Colorado and Texas are perfect examples.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 6,233 times
I see someone say Florida. Let me tell you if you think CA is bad, FL is like living in some thrid world country. Just read the dang news from the state. Cops that screw people literally to get them out of tickets, school teachers that abuse physically and sexually their students, Parents that kill their kids, prisons that let out criminals knowing they are early, school testing that is rewritten by the state to avoid bad grades, on and on and on. And not just one story of these kind of stuff but lots. Google Florida teachers in the news. It'll make you vow to never put your kid in any Florida school.

California with all its current warts is significantly better than Florida. Just read the paper from that state if you don't believe me.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Can 12% of the population be that wrong? 1 in 8 Americans live in California. To those that say it is too costly: Many people own homes in the state. I see people moving into homes all the time. People can and do make it out here in California.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The sustainability concept (which is really a hangover from Paul Ehrlich & Co's latter day Malthusianism, and therefore, now 40 years old) will be obsolete within a generation. Future discussions will be around competing for a shrinking global population base. Especially when one considers the global 10%ers, who drive most economic activity and real estate transactions, and who are the least fecund affluent people in human history, the day of reckoning is even closer. Maybe within the next 3 - 5 years.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and is this your opinion or do you have something to back it up? I look at it this way: I don't think it is even near as bad as the Op would like people to think, but will California ever be what it was 40 years ago? Probably not. What many people do not understand though, property has always been very high. I can remember the shock I had when we moved from California to the D.C. area in the early 80s. We choose to temporarily rent out house and rent in D.C. We paid for rent, exactly what we rented our Glendora house for, but in NOVA we were much closer to the city and had about 60% more square footage, in a nicer neighborhood. Our daughter sold her home in the Dallas area about 2 years ago, to move closer to us and her grandkids. The house they sold, in a very nice upper end neighborhood sold for just under $250,000. In Calif, even today, it would have gone for about a mil or very close.

California will always hold a magic charm for many, but unless some changes are made, it will lose some of the glow. Look at cities around the country and states as well. Yesterdays boom is gone for some and for others it has just begun. I think Colorado and Texas are perfect examples.
My main point when I started the thread was to highlight the exodus / destruction of good mid income jobs suitable for "Rust Belt" types who may view CA as a greener pasture. As an example, circa 1983 there were still at least a handful of automobile factories in CA, now there is one (Tesla, occupying a fraction of the old NUMMI/GM Fremont plant). Meanwhile, several other areas of traditional industry have been decimated. Even high tech is not immune. Circa 1983, there was still ample manufacturing from the component to the complete system level in CA. Now? Very little is left.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,433,104 times
Thanks for this thread. Maybe if we can discourage enough 'pot-of-gold' seekers worldwide, I might even consider moving back to California's so-called cash cow, my over-crowded hometown, Los Angeles.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owqodwqo View Post
I see someone say Florida. Let me tell you if you think CA is bad, FL is like living in some thrid world country. Just read the dang news from the state. Cops that screw people literally to get them out of tickets, school teachers that abuse physically and sexually their students, Parents that kill their kids, prisons that let out criminals knowing they are early, school testing that is rewritten by the state to avoid bad grades, on and on and on. And not just one story of these kind of stuff but lots. Google Florida teachers in the news. It'll make you vow to never put your kid in any Florida school.

California with all its current warts is significantly better than Florida. Just read the paper from that state if you don't believe me.
and pray tell where did you read this wonderful information about Florida? Wherever it is garbage and totally untrue. We have 2 kids living in Florida plus a lot of retired friends that spend part or the winters there. Maybe you were never taught by your parents not to believe everything you read or hear. I sure was and I try to keep an open mind with the ability to be able to separate truth from fiction.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Oh another thing about Flori-duh. They don't do any state inspections of cars. That's right.

The woman I just mentioned who hit and killed the little girl was driving a 1995 SUV with bald tires and bad brakes.

She used a bungee cord to keep the door closed.

Try doing that in CA.

CA has its problems, but it is much better than FL in so many ways.

Besides having better weather, at least CA tries to keep the unisured, unlicensed, and those driving unsafe vehichles off the road.

Anything goes in FL. Which is why it Orlando, Tampa, Miami, and then Jacksonville are the top 4 cities in the nation for hit and runs.

Yeah...it's stress free....LOL!
Spot on LOL....FOMC...falling out of my chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California