Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times

Advertisements

I have seen many people on here say that a move to California during these harsh economic times is not a smart move and while I agree with that if you are someone who doesn't have much of any money saved up right now, I also think that if you are someone who saves enough money and plans the move in advance, that you can make it in Cali.

That is what I'am doing. I know that I' am going to have to spend the next 3 years in Texas saving money and finishing my degree before I consider moving to California. I have the patience to wait that 3 years, even though I would love to be back in California now.

It is all about feasibility. When the job opportunity presents itself (which I'am confident it will for my field of study) and I have the money saved up for such a large move, I will make the move.

So for those that think that making it in California right now is impossible, just remember, it is not, as long as you plan and save. Living in California is my goal and I will achieve it and I know that anyone else could do it as well with good planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Part of it isn't just the expense. It's that California has an uncertain fiscal future and taxes are almost guaranteed to increase significantly if we don't go into austerity mode

Old 01-28-2012, 06:36 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
You've got the right attitude, you'll do fine here!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Part of it isn't just the expense. It's that California has an uncertain fiscal future and taxes are almost guaranteed to increase significantly if we don't go into austerity mode
So those that make $47,056 or more who now pay 9.3% for income taxes? will pay what will see it go to 11 or 12%? Then a rise in sales taxes will surely follow. All of this could happen with salaries remaining flat.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
So those that make $47,056 or more who now pay 9.3% for income taxes? will pay what will see it go to 11 or 12%? Then a rise in sales taxes will surely follow. All of this could happen with salaries remaining flat.
^^A distinct possibility^^.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Well California has real jobs that pay a living wage. Hawaii doesn't... So for me it's at least more feasible than living in Hawaii.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Well California has real jobs that pay a living wage. Hawaii doesn't... So for me it's at least more feasible than living in Hawaii.
I agree. Hawaii may be a beautiful place, but if you are trying to make a living, then California is your best bet.

Unlike some negative posters on CD, I REFUSE to believe that the fifth largest economy in the world, despite the economic troubles, doesn't still have a lot of open jobs. I mean come on, a state as big and populous as California with two beta world class metros (i.e. SF Bay Area, and LA-OC-IE) doesn't have any jobs? BS.

Unless you are in a field of work where there are really not ANY openings or extremely stiff competition (which would be the case in ALL other states in this country), then you should do fine in California.

I don't care what others may say about California's economic state. We all know it is going through hard times, but come on, what state isn't? Even Texas is having its struggles. At least California can still build new freeways without making them TOLL ROADs. Texas can't do that....

Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I agree. Hawaii may be a beautiful place, but if you are trying to make a living, then California is your best bet.

Unlike some negative posters on CD, I REFUSE to believe that the fifth largest economy in the world, despite the economic troubles, doesn't still have a lot of open jobs. I mean come on, a state as big and populous as California with two beta world class metros (i.e. SF Bay Area, and LA-OC-IE) doesn't have any jobs? BS.

Unless you are in a field of work where there are really not ANY openings or extremely stiff competition (which would be the case in ALL other states in this country), then you should do fine in California.

I don't care what others may say about California's economic state. We all know it is going through hard times, but come on, what state isn't? Even Texas is having its struggles. At least California can still build new freeways without making them TOLL ROADs. Texas can't do that....
Of course the quantity of open jobs is large, a small percentage of a large number is also a relatively large number. There is, also, of course, immense competition for those open jobs. There are no slam dunks.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM

22 posts, read 51,938 times
I've been thinking about a similar move from here in Maryland (just outside of Baltimore City). I'll have my Masters in 2 years, and we will have saved a decent amount of cash by then as well (mid six-digits most likely). We have a 3 year old, and would love to move somewhere with good schools, and lots of opportunity to enjoy the mountains and beaches. We have all of that here, but on a much smaller scale, and weather here is just awful these days. Plus, Maryland ain't a cheap place to live anymore, so we are already used to higher taxes and expensive housing...of course not the same as in Cali, but it's getting there. The only question we have to resolve is where in California would work for us...

Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I'm not sure you understand how tax brackets work. The marginal rate of the highest tax bracket will likely go up (supposedly temporarily), but only for income above the figure you quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California