Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 20,886 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm new to this forum, and I have a question regarding California's pollution and economy. Well, I was born in Quebec, Canada, and I am planning to move to California when I finally receive my Phd in Psychology. I am motivated to do this due to Quebec being the lowest paying province in Canada for psychologists, and California being one of the highest paying locations for psychologists in all of North America. Also, the prejudice language laws and terribly cold weather here in Quebec is a source of my motivation as well. Anyways, I haven't heard much positive things regarding this State's pollution, and I've also heard that this beautiful place is also extremely expensive. Well, how bad IS the pollution here? Is there a lot of fog and dirty unfresh air, and are the beaches really mucky and unhealthy to swim in? Also, is this state so overpopulated that it's pollution will get even worse? Lastly, would this state be too expensive for an individual making about $100,000 to $150,000 dollars yearly to live comfortably?

Thank you for your patience, and sorry for the many ignorant questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
What kind of pollution? Air pollution? Check airnow.org (or is is airnow.gov?) The central valley (middle of the state from Sacramento down to Bakersfield) and LA have horrible air quality. It will take years off your life to live there. The rest of the state isn't as bad.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
What kind of pollution? Air pollution? Check airnow.org (or is is airnow.gov?) The central valley (middle of the state from Sacramento down to Bakersfield) and LA have horrible air quality. It will take years off your life to live there. The rest of the state isn't as bad.
I'm mainly referring to air pollution and water pollution.

Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:38 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
I wish I made 100k-150k. I think you can live very comfortably as an individual with that income. There is air pollution in some areas. mucky, polluted beaches? no, if they exist, they're not common as far as I know. The beaches where I live are clean. Over populated? there are a lot of people here and immigration from Mexico has increased the population quite a bit. But remember, this a big state. I live hours from the large cities, so it hasn't been an issue to me. The psychologist who work for the State of California in the corrections and mental health areas are paid very well.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:17 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
I hear the word overpopulation a lot but in the L.A. area where I live, population density is pretty typical and far lower than some east coast cities. The word is usually used by boonies people who don't like the city.

As for air quality, the San Joaquin Valley seems to get worse as the years go on. If you live there and I'm wrong, correct me. Here in L.A. our air quality continues to improve. Yes, we have smog but nothing compared to SJV. Inland Empire has pretty bad air too.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
go to airnow.gov and click on Air Compare. You can choose counties to compare. I chose San Bernardino, Los Angeles, and Fresno. For 2007, San Bernardino had 44 unhealthful air days, Fresno 19, and LA 17.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Lightbulb These websites will help.

The answers to some of your questions on AIR QUALITY, depending on regions, can be found as follows.

For most of Southern California (including Los Angeles): South Coast AQMD

For San Diego County: Air Pollution Control District County of San Diego

For the San Francisco Bay Area: Bay Area Air Quality Management District - BAAQMD (http://www.baaqmd.gov/index.htm - broken link)

For other locations in California, Google "AQMD California".

The answers to some of your questions on WATER QUALITY, depending on regions, can be found as follows.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/ogwdw/ccr.nsf/California?OpenView (http://www.earth911.org/waterquality/default.asp?cluster=1 - broken link)

Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
As for air quality, the San Joaquin Valley seems to get worse as the years go on. If you live there and I'm wrong, correct me. Here in L.A. our air quality continues to improve. Yes, we have smog but nothing compared to SJV. Inland Empire has pretty bad air too.
The air in the San Joaquin Valley is actually improving, its the attention being paid to it that makes it seem worse. Its in the forefront of the media and discussions so more people are aware.

But this year the American Lung Association said:
"Fresno, California, for example, experienced a remarkable decline in the number of high ozone days since its peak in 2001-2003."

A chart of the 10 year ozone level trend showing the drop from the American Lung Association

There is still a long way to go here in the SJV to be healthy but progress is being made.

Here is the chart for Los Angeles

Similiar charts for other US cities are at:
Ozone Trends (http://www.stateoftheair.org/2008/most-polluted/oztrends/ozone-trends.html - broken link)

Old 08-15-2008, 07:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicaRHCP View Post
.... when I finally receive my Phd in Psychology. I am motivated to do this due to Quebec being the lowest paying province in Canada for psychologists, and California being one of the highest paying locations for psychologists in all of North America.

Lastly, would this state be too expensive for an individual making about $100,000 to $150,000 dollars yearly to live comfortably?
Are you prepared to pass California written exam (no more oral exam) for obtaining a license? They are very difficult exams (my wife is a psychologist and passed each on the first try - quite a feat).

There's also a lot of competition, there are a lot of psychologists out there.

Also, my reasonably educated guess is, unless you are in a happening private practice, psychologists are not starting out at that kind of dough.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are you prepared to pass California written exam (no more oral exam) for obtaining a license? They are very difficult exams (my wife is a psychologist and passed each on the first try - quite a feat).

There's also a lot of competition, there are a lot of psychologists out there.

Also, my reasonably educated guess is, unless you are in a happening private practice, psychologists are not starting out at that kind of dough.
I will be working part-time (on evenings and Saturdays) with my private practice, and plan on working full-time in corrections and mental health areas around California. It is obvious that my pay will be significantly lower than $100, 000 as soon as I get my Phd. I was referring to when my experience increases a bit. By the way, the California written exam did not cross my mind yet, thanks for informing me. I'd also like to thank all the other members on this forum for helping me answer my questions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California