Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Hey, I do not disagree with the fact that we have big time problems with the status quo... Massive waste and corperate special interest groups... Yep clean em up!!!
I do question how many "livable wages" jobs we can create, since union busting, and off shore manufacturing.. (All to the benefit of the wealthy..) Flipping burgers at a fast food chain, is never going to pay a living wage... But flipping burgers as an owner of a small privatly owned resturant will....

The question is what will raise the standard of living/productivity the most for the majority of American citizens..????

Is that not what we are trying to do here? I think we as a nation need to ask ourselves the basic question.. What is the goal?
Then perhaps we ought to question what makes a corporation like Apple for example (as I keep hearing this nonsense about people buying "our iPads") employing far more workers in China thsn they do in the U.S. (mostly retail) as well as hoard $64 billion in assets offshore. (hint: corporate greed isn't a valid response)

The more we attempt to punish the "1%," the more we wind up hurting the very people that we're allegedly trying to help. Maybe it's time to change our approach? Because what we're doing clearly isn't working. The incentive to repatriate those assets isn't there.

I'm not sure what this stuff about union busting is. I don't see any of that going on, but I'd love to see it here in California. Collective-bargaining wasn't intended for public servants. It's inherently taxation without representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,471,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Everyone I know with money worked for it.
Hardly anyone I know did. People may sweat-and-blood their way to upper middle class, but not to filthy-rich status. Investment income, carried interest, socking your money away in off-shore bank accounts...that's how you become a one-percenter. Just ask Mitt Romney if you don't believe me.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
One does not become wealthy with work. One becomes wealthy with investments that make money while you sleep.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Then perhaps we ought to question what makes a corporation like Apple for example (as I keep hearing this nonsense about people buying "our iPads") employing far more workers in China thsn they do in the U.S. (mostly retail) as well as hoard $64 billion in assets offshore. (hint: corporate greed isn't a valid response)

The more we attempt to punish the "1%," the more we wind up hurting the very people that we're allegedly trying to help. Maybe it's time to change our approach? Because what we're doing clearly isn't working. The incentive to repatriate those assets isn't there.

I'm not sure what this stuff about union busting is. I don't see any of that going on, but I'd love to see it here in California. Collective-bargaining wasn't intended for public servants. It's inherently taxation without representation.
What is your point? Good jobs gone to China to manufacture Ipads?

IMO regulation via government is the only way to create incentives to keep those jobs at home. Even if we work for minimum wage, have no EPA pollution regulation, no workers rights regarding safety.... It will still be cheaper for a company to manufacture in some budding 3rd world nation. We can not compete... to keep the jobs at home.. Yet the American companies manufacturing this stuff oversees, enjoy the advantages and securities of being an American company, they also enjoy the profit selling their products to Americans... WHOSE prosperity and security was and is maintained with MY tax dollars supporting the good men and women whom we call The United States Military!

I will give you it is not too good for a single state to step out of line from other states regarding tax policy... IMO this belongs at the national level..

Lastly we have been trying it "your way" since at least Regan.. We as a nation are drifting from the "pack" of other first world nations... They ALL have substantially more robust "social policy" than the USA... I see it as California is attempting to lead the nation down the path of the future as usual....

Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I see it as California is attempting to lead the nation down the path of the future as usual....
Actually, California could stand to learn some things from New Hampshire.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, half of America doesn't even pay federal income tax. Is that sustainable?
Certainly.....because the figure you are quoting includes the entire population...you know including kids.....

We should put those kids to work in the salt mines for a sustainable future!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Certainly.....because the figure you are quoting includes the entire population...you know including kids.....

We should put those kids to work in the salt mines for a sustainable future!
Uh no, try harder.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Actually, California could stand to learn some things from New Hampshire.
Lead the nation.. LOL

The link is BS.. Right winger propaganda...

I will skip posting links, but just google "life in New Hampshire after budget cuts"

Page after page of disaster and hardship.. Crime up.. Jobs? Lots of debate on that statistic.. NO clear cut relationship to policy/budget cuts on that one...

Go check out the New Hampshire CD section, to see what people who live their think about budget cuts and unemployment rates....

Bye..

Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Lead the nation.. LOL

The link is BS.. Right winger propaganda...

I will skip posting links, but just google "life in New Hampshire after budget cuts"

Page after page of disaster and hardship.. Crime up.. Jobs? Lots of debate on that statistic.. NO clear cut relationship to policy/budget cuts on that one...

Go check out the New Hampshire CD section, to see what people who live their think about budget cuts and unemployment rates....

Bye..
Something that interferes with your world view is called out as right wing, eh? What an insufferable bore you are. Fair enough, I do appreciate that you've removed all doubt by making it clear that you're not worth carrying on a discussion with.

Anecdotes vs. facts, gee I'm not sure which one I'd go with.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Something that interferes with your world view is called out as right wing, eh? What an insufferable bore you are. Fair enough, I do appreciate that you've removed all doubt by making it clear that you're not worth carrying on a discussion with.

Anecdotes vs. facts, gee I'm not sure which one I'd go with.
I will retract my "right winger" comment...

Still I would not call the link you posted "fact" INDEED, it is anecdotal opinion...

Yep I agree, not worth the conversation.... Again google it, and see pages and pages of negative impacts on the "New Hampshire model" Matter of fact just cruise over the the New Hampshire board on CD.. You will get an ear full...

This simply boils down to you feel the working class should carry the bulk of the burden, while "entities" should continue to act as cover for wealthy individuals.

No other first world nation takes this approach! Why on earth should we???????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California