Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times

Advertisements

A barrel of oil has dropped again to $93.00. I DONT believe in the refinery issues the crooks claim to have. Once a low life thief & liar always a low life thief & liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Default Just by chance I happened to find

Serendipity at work ... Without looking for it I bumped into one of the articles about speculation affecting the gasoline prices. The article is linked below. It is a month old and so discusses different circumstances than those specifically addressed by the OP here. But the discussion relates. These speculations are not the same likely affecting the spot pricing currently in California. But if you read the article, note the situation mentioned about New England's recent variation from the rest of the country's trend. And the reference to refinery capacity in conjunction. Note too how the speculator's activities drive the market changes overall in larger amount, by far, than all other factors.

Do you think that nothing similar in manipulation is at the root of spot prices? No, I don't mean speculation is somehow targeting California supply specifically and intentionally. I mean that when these players play, the shat flies and collateral reactions happen all over depending on supply, output, inventory, and competing sales to foreign players. Sometimes it's one region that reacts differently than the rest -- other times it's a different region that falls out of the pattern.

Why Gasoline Isn't $4 Per Gallon Nationally - Businessweek

Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I have an absolutely perfect understanding of what traders do ... And it's not work ... it is worthless except to themselves, and succubant to others whose labors they thrive on ...
In other words, you really don't know what they do....

Quote:
pretty much everything in our culture is now financially based.
So, like I asked before, how so?

Quote:
The true ways of the natural world are not found in obsessive labor.
Let's keep your religion out of it....

Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Serendipity at work ... Without looking for it I bumped into one of the articles about speculation affecting the gasoline prices.
You're going to be able to find all sorts of articles on this topic, but to say it once more, what you're not going to find is agreement on how speculation effects the spot prices of oil and gas. This isn't well understood, the fact that you think you have the answer says a lot about you.

Also, you keep speaking as if speculators all benefit by high oil prices, but futures markets are more or less a zero sum game. When oil increases in price, some traders win some lose. Similarly when oil decreases.

What is funny is that nobody complains about traders when oil prices collapse, and yet that is just as much a result of trading activity as oil prices increasing!
Anyhow, traders are just a scapegoat. The liberals have their evil traders, the conservatives have their welfare queens, illegals, etc. Same shoe, different foot.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You're going to be able to find all sorts of articles on this topic, but to say it once more, what you're not going to find is agreement on how speculation effects the spot prices of oil and gas. This isn't well understood, the fact that you think you have the answer says a lot about you.

Also, you keep speaking as if speculators all benefit by high oil prices, but futures markets are more or less a zero sum game. When oil increases in price, some traders win some lose. Similarly when oil decreases.

What is funny is that nobody complains about traders when oil prices collapse, and yet that is just as much a result of trading activity as oil prices increasing!
Anyhow, traders are just a scapegoat. The liberals have their evil traders, the conservatives have their welfare queens, illegals, etc. Same shoe, different foot.
User, you comedian you, no one will ever find agreement about anything in this world. No matter what. Least of all you.

And if speculation is a zero sum game, then a lot of really rich traders inherited their money and simply love to gamble, right? They win some and lose some but there's no ultimate gain that isn't lost.

No sir, that money from the increasing prices is definitely going into someone's pocket pretty consistently. But never mind the economists and journalists who study and report on the game. They just don't understand what user understands.

By the way, when was the last time oil prices collapsed? Since the speculators moved in, I mean.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Meanwhile, I just checked "gas buddy" and found that you can get regular gas at $3.51 in my old hometown of Columbus, Ohio, vs a price of about $4.20 out here in Sacramento.

Pretty big difference, especially considering the tax is only $.23 higher per gallon in California.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Just dumped 80 bucks into the tank of my F-150 @ 4.21 a gal. Good thing I walk to work.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
User, you comedian you, no one will ever find agreement about anything in this world.
I'm speaking about agreement among professionals, and yes, you find that all the time.....but not on this topic.

Quote:
And if speculation is a zero sum game, then a lot of really rich traders inherited their money and simply love to gamble, right?
Umm....huh? I have no idea what you're trying to get at here. Derivatives require a buyer and seller.....which result in a winner and loser depending on the outcome of the event.

Quote:
By the way, when was the last time oil prices collapsed? Since the speculators moved in, I mean.
Since speculators moved in? I hate to break it to you but "speculators" have been involved in oil for many decades.... The last time? A few years ago, oil was $40 a barrel in 2009. In 1999 oil was under $20 a barrel. Traders were just as active during these periods as they are today....

Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm speaking about agreement among professionals, and yes, you find that all the time.....but not on this topic.

Umm....huh? I have no idea what you're trying to get at here. Derivatives require a buyer and seller.....which result in a winner and loser depending on the outcome of the event.

Since speculators moved in? I hate to break it to you but "speculators" have been involved in oil for many decades.... The last time? A few years ago, oil was $40 a barrel in 2009. In 1999 oil was under $20 a barrel. Traders were just as active during these periods as they are today....
One last post for you to play with on this subject, user ...
Nonsense, about professional agreement. You wil find professional controversy on nearly all subjects in varying degree. And you will find considerable and growing consensus on oil traders having changed the game since the early new century here now.

Yes, they played before. But now they control at vastly elevated levels previously unseen. Which is exactly why the prices have gone through the roof as they have in this time period. The world volatilities combined with growing demand AND, most significantly, the essentially total lack of trading regulation, have made oil and gas a more fertile field to manipulate than ever before. It was always gold, but it was free flowing. Now the free flowing inventory is past peak, demand is soaring beyond present capacities, and supply interruptions are threatening before new methodologies to substitute in other areas are ready.

The 'winners' are the traders ... Even when they bet against themselves. The losers are always the consumer. There's plenty of reading material available on the subject -- with very substantial consensus. Except not yours naturally. But you belong to a different class of dissenter -- one who really only takes any position to maintain any argument. For instance when you recently proposed that a return to feudalist society is likely ... Where you argued against that very concept about a year ago when I proposed it. Now you may continue your continuous refutations without further interruption from me

Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The 'winners' are the traders ... Even when they bet against themselves. The losers are always the consumer.
Sorry, but this isn't how it works. When commodities increase in value the only group that, as a whole, benefits is the producers of the commodity. Traders can profit just as easily from declines in commodity prices as they can increases, there is no reason for them to favor high prices that are costly to the consumer.

When a trader profits, he is making money from his counter-party (another trader) not the consumer.

But, you've found your boogeyman and you are obviously going to use it in your explanatory apparatus regardless of....well....reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California