Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

The good news is that Califrornia doesn't have to break off and fall into the ocean.

The bad news is that the ocean is tired of waiting and it's coming to get you.

Stay or go? Some towns eyeing retreat from sea | Springfield News-Leader | News-Leader.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Interesting to read that some folks are finally coming to the realization that: "there is growing acknowledgment that the sea is relentless". I shoulda been a consultant ... coulda made a fortune dispensing ancient wisdom

I have saltwaterfront up here in the San Juan Islands of Puget Sound -- on a bluff with a goat trail down to rocky beach. There is erosion and collapse all up and down my section of the island. Even though we do not face open ocean breakers vicious winter storms do the nasty. Neighbors a couple properties north of me, maybe about 1/2 mile, just won a case with the state to allow them to put in a rip-rap seawall at a cost of about $300,000$ for about 300' of shoreline ... ka-ching! ... which results in 'scouring' wave action adjacent on other properties.

I solved my erosion problem by rolling a bunch of huge root-ball stumps down against the base of my bluff into a natural-looking tangle on my 200' of beach. It is massive enough collectively that the waves can't wash it away. I have no 'scouring' effect as the waves are buffered through the root tangles, rather than smashing into hard rock wall. As each wave recedes it also filters through the tangle allowing buffered flow that does not pull away the natural rock and gravel of the beach.

I paid a friend some money for backhoe gas -- and won the great appreciation of a few folks who didn't know what to do with their stumps

Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
You and me both, Nullgeo, in the consultant business.

When my wife and I married 16 years ago she wanted to see where I was raised so we had a SoCal honeymoon and I showed her my childhood, island home. It was the first time I'd been back in a good 20+ years. The first thing I noticed was that the beaches, whick used to extend 30 or 40 feet, were now down to about 10-15. It was a marked difference and do ya think it might have had sumpin' ta do with higher sea levels?

Old 06-03-2012, 02:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Water always wins. We are nothing more than a flea on its butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California