Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 20,603 times

Advertisements

...that is lovely with lots of cliffs. South or north of San Francisco, tiny, small mid-sized are all ok. It does not have to be commutable range to SF. My husband and I will both have very portable jobs (in health care) and want to settle in a liberal area, preferably heavy in the arts or homestead style living.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 01:12 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,981 times
Humboldt or maybe Santa Cruz? Guerneville and Sebastopol might work, but they aren't right on the coast.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 20,603 times
Humboldt is near Arcata, is that right? I have looked at pictures of Arcata and didn't see much in the way of cliffs, but I will try Humboldt.

I didn't know Santa Cruz was a liberal town. Good to know! How about Half Moon Bay?

Thank you.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 PM

18 posts, read 86,804 times
I second Santa Cruz.

By the way, its norcal not nocal

Old 08-03-2008, 02:44 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksheridan6 View Post
I didn't know Santa Cruz was a liberal town. Good to know! How about Half Moon Bay?
Santa Cruz is very liberal town. The University of California has a campus there and the liberalism carries over into the city government and elsewhere. I would say Half Moon Bay is probably in the middle of the road - neither liberal nor conservative.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksheridan6 View Post
Humboldt is near Arcata, is that right? I have looked at pictures of Arcata and didn't see much in the way of cliffs, but I will try Humboldt.

Thank you.
fyi: Humboldt is the name of the county, not a city. The major cities are Arcata and Eureka. There are cliffs if you head north or south--lots of mountains--but the major settlements were on the flatlands around Humboldt Bay, for access to shipping and farmland. Arcata is about as liberal as one can possibly get (only city in the US that ever had a Green Party majority) and it's close to mountains, cliffs, and the ocean. The Humboldt State University campus is literally up the side of a hill.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,423 times
Santa Cruz is insane, although cliff-laden. Cliffs, especially large ones, aren't that common in California and are mostly found in very isolated parts of the coast.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times
For a very small town, I would eyeball Mendocino. It's just down the coast a little ways from Fort Bragg. That region is quite isolated, and getting over to Willits from Fort Bragg involves about 30 miles or so of some really twisty driving.

The entire California coast from Santa Cruz all the way up to Eureka has always seemed liberal to very hard-left to me, so no worries about that. The drive along Highway 1 is spectacular regardless of whether you're a MoveOn person, a John Bircher, or anywhere in between!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 PM

94 posts, read 332,843 times
Move to Marin County if you want a liberal/marxist community. I would imagine Bolinas and Inverness could be good options. Bodega Bay in Sonoma Co. is on the coast but I'm not too sure it's political leaning, though I would imagine it's liberal.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times
Yep, Bodega Bay tilts pretty heavily to port. The hiking and beach at Bodega Head are a whole lot of fun as long as you bring a jacket with you! Great tidepools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California