Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 AM

35 posts, read 115,364 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm a 37 y/o single female moving from texas. I've visited cali many times and just love it. I'd like to find a semi-rural area that is close to either L.A or San Francisco. I know they each have their perks and not so perky. My criteria is good weather, access to nature and a relatively close proximity (within 40ish miles) to either city. I don't mind the cold but can't tolerate too much heat and humidity. A few summer months to the upper 80's is ok. I'd also like a diverse community and liberal friendly area. I'd probably rent initially, then look into buying a house up to 275k. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Does a place of employment enter the picture?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "diverse"? Can you provide an example of a place that you consider diverse?

While we're at it, what do you mean by liberal? What is a liberal place? Can you provide an example?

Questions of this flavor often have lead to responses such as Ojai, Topanga, Box Canyon, though $275 might not swing it.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM

I work from home, so a job is not an issue. I lived in a small town in TN for a while. It was a red town in a red state. That was the opposite of what I'm looking for. I currently live in Austin, TX. It's a great community. But it's hotter than Hades. I think of both San Francisco and LA as diverse; multicultural, alternative and artistic lifestyles, large gay communities, that sort of thing. I am flexible on my distance from town. A little further out is doable and I could probalby increase my budget by 15%. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 AM

166 posts, read 489,827 times
Just by the political atmosphere and climate you'll prefer NorCal. There are lots of smaller communities that should work for you near the Bay Area. Within 40 miles don't expect much of a house for 275K. You can likely find a condo maybe. I'd look north of San Francisco, or toward Napa. To live on your own a salary of 50K bare minimum to get by IMO.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:46 PM

How about renting? The long story is that I'll be cruising around the country in my old rv looing at california, the denver area and new england. I was hoping to get some ideas of areas to look at before I go. Thanks a bunch.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 PM

166 posts, read 489,827 times
Renting is a better option anyway since you don't have a family. In the NorCal area you can expect to pay around $1-2K per month range if planning to not mess with roomies. While that may seem high (and it is), it's much less than the relative cost of homeownership out there in the current market.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:37 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
For the San Francisco area, check out Tracy, Manteca and Lathrop. It's less than an hour drive to San Francisco and a several hour drive to the Sierra Nevada Mtns (Reno, Lake Tahoe). Getting a house for under $300K may be possible - there are a lot of foreclosures to choose from. The weather is sometimes in the 90's during the summer, but the humidity is low. Winters are mild with daytime temps in the 50's.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:32 PM

the 90's are ok when the humidity is low. Here summer lasts 6 months and the humidity is..well it's like walking in soup. I'd need a duplex or house. Something with a yard space for my two dogs. :-)

Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,688 times
i have emailed you several times, to see how you were and to see if you are doing well. Call back as MOM and DAD wanted you to keep in touch. They are watching you

s

Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaussie View Post
Hi All,
I'm a 37 y/o single female moving from texas. I've visited cali many times and just love it. I'd like to find a semi-rural area that is close to either L.A or San Francisco. I know they each have their perks and not so perky. My criteria is good weather, access to nature and a relatively close proximity (within 40ish miles) to either city. I don't mind the cold but can't tolerate too much heat and humidity. A few summer months to the upper 80's is ok. I'd also like a diverse community and liberal friendly area. I'd probably rent initially, then look into buying a house up to 275k. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a bunch.
Have you thought of San Diego? It is pretty liberal by this news article today. S.D. march backing gay marriage draws at least 20,000 | The San Diego Union-Tribune 20,000 people protest against prop 8 in a military town. That is music to my ear. Now I call that diversity. It was the largest prop 8 protest in the country.

There's a neighborhood for everyone. Hillcrest for LGBT, Downtown for clubbers, North County for the conservatives, East County for Latinos, Kearny Mesa for the Asians, Pacific and Ocean Beach for the young partygoers, La Jolla/Torrey Pines for the rich beach lifestyle, etc. Oh, forgot to mention Little Italy for Italians. What's cool about the city is that it is so accessible to all these places within 30 minutes. It is pretty close to nature; 3 hours from Big Bear for skiing, 0 miles to the beach, hiking and biking trails everywhere, and COL is cheaper than both LA and SF. And I think the weather is the best in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California