Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:07 AM

118 posts, read 479,995 times

Advertisements

well im about almost to my goal for saving up for the move to california, but now i'm kind of hesitant since ive heard something about california and its money issues. i guess unless congress doesnt give them money they wont be able to do any type of state funded work like public works and such. even tho it doesnt have anything really to do with my industry it just worries me overall. i know everywhere is pretty bad economy wise, but how does cali compare with other states, like massachusetts, new or, or florida? i do have a job lined up within my current co. but im just wondering whats in store for cali. my job will be selling electrical supplies to mainly electricians.
so now just reading up on things i feel like i might need to hold off on my move atleast for another yr or so.atleast til the economy gets better. so what do u guys think???? ooo and i really havent decided where i want to move but its up between, long beach, east bay area, and sacramento.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
The state's broke and won't stop spending money. If you have a job and pay taxes, you'll get soaked. It'll only get worse as the state works on more ways to tax the remaining taxpayers who haven't left or gone underground. Construction is in the toilet so I'm not sure how much business there is in selling parts to contractors. If you lose your job, you'll be in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Just stay where you are, and monitor CA for the next year. CA, if no budget agreement materializes, will be broke in February, if not sooner. Dangerous to make the move.

I missed the chance to leave CA, don't you even consider taking the chance to come over.

Steelstress

Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suericio View Post
well im about almost to my goal for saving up for the move to california, but now i'm kind of hesitant since ive heard something about california and its money issues. i guess unless congress doesnt give them money they wont be able to do any type of state funded work like public works and such. even tho it doesnt have anything really to do with my industry it just worries me overall. i know everywhere is pretty bad economy wise, but how does cali compare with other states, like massachusetts, new or, or florida? i do have a job lined up within my current co. but im just wondering whats in store for cali. my job will be selling electrical supplies to mainly electricians.
so now just reading up on things i feel like i might need to hold off on my move atleast for another yr or so.atleast til the economy gets better. so what do u guys think???? ooo and i really havent decided where i want to move but its up between, long beach, east bay area, and sacramento.....
I would say San Francisco and San Diego will be the least affected.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 PM

58 posts, read 95,671 times
California is a tax and spend, spend state. As stated by Escape, construction is in the toilet. I am a building contractor, my trade was building spec homes in the blue collar "affordable" range. 1500 sqft. toaday with the state requirements, and state/county fees it cost more to build then the finished market value. I have been forced to lay off my employees, put away the tools, and relax. I am currently looking for a new state to relocate to where my retirement dollars will stretch a bit farther, cause it sure ain't gonna be here.
Stay far from here. Whatever our lawmakers come up with will certainly cost me more $, and will only be a bandaid until next fiscal year.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I would say San Francisco and San Diego will be the least affected.
What makes you say that?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What makes you say that?
Real estate prices are still quite stable in San Francisco. Demand for rentals is increasing. There is still a high demand for housing compared to most cities in California. San francisco holds a "value" as you would look in any city, there are districts where they tend to hold their value more, tend to be more desirabe, and I think San Francisco is one of these "districts" of California. San Diego is probally one of the best cities to own a business in California. I still see the potential for more growth, people moving from Los Angeles and snow birds coming in.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The state's broke and won't stop spending money. If you have a job and pay taxes, you'll get soaked. It'll only get worse as the state works on more ways to tax the remaining taxpayers who haven't left or gone underground. Construction is in the toilet so I'm not sure how much business there is in selling parts to contractors. If you lose your job, you'll be in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates.
But they have really comfy chickens since election day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM

58 posts, read 95,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
But they have really comfy chickens since election day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only until they leave the state . Or we are paying $20. for a dozen eggs

Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_B View Post
Only until they leave the state . Or we are paying $20. for a dozen eggs
It probably wouldn't even cost that much more to bring eggs in from Arizona or Nevada than Fresno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California