Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:31 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i forgot to attach the link that i copied from: Continent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so you are arguing with wiki, not me.
Based on that, I would recommend re reading it. You will notice that it too recognizes that Russia is in Asia, you can see that on any map of the world. It is also in the western part of the continent that the snooty Euros like to call a continent. Now, if you can find a boundary between Europe and Asia, other than the Bosporus and the Sea of Marmara, I would like to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Based on that, I would recommend re reading it. You will notice that it too recognizes that Russia is in Asia, you can see that on any map of the world. It is also in the western part of the continent that the snooty Euros like to call a continent. Now, if you can find a boundary between Europe and Asia, other than the Bosporus and the Sea of Marmara, I would like to see it.
my point got lost a long time ago.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
my point got lost a long time ago.
That happens to points that are not accurate.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while. With such a large concentration of Hispanics so close to Mexico, does SoCal feel like America- at least the way you see it portrayed in the media?
Do most Hispanic people speak Spanish? And how important is it to be bilingual down there nowadays?

I guess what I'm really wondering is that- are the immigrants assimilating as they typically have, or have they reached enough of a critical mass to retain their home culturewithout feeling the need to assimilate?
Have you been out of this country? If you have you would know that your question is ridiculous..

Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I guess what I'm really wondering is that- are the immigrants assimilating as they typically have, or have they reached enough of a critical mass to retain their home culturewithout feeling the need to assimilate?
General Mariano Vallejo, 1847

Old 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,619,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Pretty darned funny, there are a lot of people in this country for whom English is a second language, and Spanish is not their first. Speaking english is in no rational list of what it means to be an American. In fact, most Americans do not speak any english at all, and they have been annoyed for years that the United Statesians think they are the only Americans.

I like your second phrase, a bit geography challenged are you?
Russia is geographically located in Asia and in Europe (earlier was still in America) If to speak about the Russians as the nation of the Slavic people-ie the European and the other on the culture and values. The Russians no Asians they all Europeans. Asian and Arab features are some of the peoples of Russia but they are not Russians, they are citizens of Russia, as well as Asians or other are the citizens of America. The difference is That the Russians are a nation, an American is not a nation (or a nation of immigrants, and only native Americans " Indians) In America is an American citizen or American is one and the same. As for the Russians it is not.The most European city of Russia is the Kaliningrad-the former German city-Königsberg. Moscow is also in the European part of Eurasia, With the Geography of problems do you have?

Last edited by GreyKarast; 06-30-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 PM

The name of the Europe for the portion of the light is not in the ancient Greek literature (in the Homeric hymn to Apollo Пифийскому [6] Europe called only Northern Greece) and was first recorded in «Description of the Land» Гекатея Милетского (the end of VI century BC. e.), the first book devoted to the Europe.
The ancient Greeks originally thought Europe separate the mainland, separated from Asia by the Aegean and Black seas, and from Africa - Mediterranean sea.В. N. Tatischev in 1720 proposed to hold the Eastern border of Europe on the ridge of the Urals, and further down the river of Yaik (sovr. Ural) up to the end of the river, which flows into the Caspian sea. Gradually new border has become a common first in Russia, and then and abroad. Currently the border between Europe is carried out: on the North by the Arctic ocean; on the West by the Atlantic ocean; to the South - the Mediterranean, the Aegean, the Marmara, the Black sea; on the East by the Eastern foot of the Ural mountains, the mountains Мугоджарам, on the river Emba to the Caspian sea, from him along the rivers of Qom and Манычу (Kumo-Манычская depression) to the mouth of the don (in particular, according to the encyclopedias and britannicus or, more rarely, by the Caucasus mountains to the Black sea. Further the border between Europe and Asia via the Black sea and the black sea Straits is supported by all sources.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Here's a map of the European part of Russia
Attached Thumbnails
Does southern Cali feel American?-karta_rossii_i_belorussii-440x540.jpg  

Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while. With such a large concentration of Hispanics so close to Mexico, does SoCal feel like America- at least the way you see it portrayed in the media?
Do most Hispanic people speak Spanish? And how important is it to be bilingual down there nowadays?

I never quite understood what it was about, but if I understood correctly. You may not properly compare Suppose Mexico from Spain and so on. In this case, you Need to compare. Spain is the source! As well as England, France (and other countries) to America, Canada. Europe is an old building in contrast to the Western hemisphere. And the Western hemisphere is directly dependent on the East, their culture, languages and so on. The nation living in alien the country are more likely to maintain their culture, language and behavior in General than they would in their home country. Want to ask a question! You all talk about Americans about America but from your this forum are a lot of people knows the origin of the name of America and Americans?(from personal curiosity)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
I'm thinking we need an interpreter ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California