Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times

Advertisements

"The Farm" Arroyo Grande In Bloom / America In Bloom 2012 YouTube Competition - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Outstanding! Thanks for posting. The Farm project, giving the elderly a productive role and place in the community is as good as community projects get. Outstanding.

Funny, for all of human history and pre-history, until the 1930's when American Social Security began to take shape, the elderly were valued as family -- and community -- contributors for the most part. And now, in less than 100 years out of 100's of thousands of years, the elderly are increasingly warehoused, useless. Visited on alternate weekends and taken out for a lunch. Prior to Social Security, the aging population had roles and value. Now our culture places emphasis on independence from supporting the very core of our development: the ones that brought us into the world and nurtured us. This Arroyo Grande Farm project puts meaning back into lives of immense past contribution.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Funny, for all of human history and pre-history, until the 1930's when American Social Security began to take shape, the elderly were valued as family -- and community -- contributors for the most part.
Well, not ALL of human history, ergo:

Karl Haupt, writing in the mid nineteenth century, gives a particularly dramatic (and relatively recent) example of socially sanctioned European geronticide in Lausitz, a region in today's Southeast Germany. Himself a German, Haupt is quick to emphasize that this shameful custom was practiced by Slavic groups living in this region. His account follows:

During heathen times the Sorbian Wends of Lausitz practiced the shameful and gruesome custom of ridding themselves of their old people who were no longer able to contribute. When, a father would be struck dead by his own son A son would strike his own father dead when he became old and incompetent, or he would throw him into water, or he would push him over a high cliff. Indeed, there are many examples of this, even after the advent of Christianity. For example:

Herr Levin von Schulenburg, a high official in Altmark, was traveling among the Wends in about 1580 when he saw an old man being led away by several people. "Where are you going with the old man?" he asked, and received the answer, "To God!" They were going to sacrifice him to God, because he was no longer able to earn his own sustenance. When the official grasped what was happening, he forced them to turn the old man over to him. He took him home with him and hired him as a gatekeeper, a position that he held for twenty additional years.

Source: Karl Haupt, Sagenbuch der Lausitz, Zweiter Theil (Leipzig: Verlag von Wilhelm Engelmann, 1863), p. 9.

Northwest of me in the Mojave High desert, there's a place called Old Woman Springs. That's where the local nomadic tribes would drop off their elderly women to die.

Then there's that Eskimo thing with the kayaks...

Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Well, not ALL of human history, ergo:

Karl Haupt, writing in the mid nineteenth century, gives a particularly dramatic (and relatively recent) example of socially sanctioned European geronticide in Lausitz, a region in today's Southeast Germany. Himself a German, Haupt is quick to emphasize that this shameful custom was practiced by Slavic groups living in this region. His account follows:

During heathen times the Sorbian Wends of Lausitz practiced the shameful and gruesome custom of ridding themselves of their old people who were no longer able to contribute. When, a father would be struck dead by his own son A son would strike his own father dead when he became old and incompetent, or he would throw him into water, or he would push him over a high cliff. Indeed, there are many examples of this, even after the advent of Christianity. For example:

Herr Levin von Schulenburg, a high official in Altmark, was traveling among the Wends in about 1580 when he saw an old man being led away by several people. "Where are you going with the old man?" he asked, and received the answer, "To God!" They were going to sacrifice him to God, because he was no longer able to earn his own sustenance. When the official grasped what was happening, he forced them to turn the old man over to him. He took him home with him and hired him as a gatekeeper, a position that he held for twenty additional years.

Source: Karl Haupt, Sagenbuch der Lausitz, Zweiter Theil (Leipzig: Verlag von Wilhelm Engelmann, 1863), p. 9.

Northwest of me in the Mojave High desert, there's a place called Old Woman Springs. That's where the local nomadic tribes would drop off their elderly women to die.

Then there's that Eskimo thing with the kayaks...
I guess you missed the part where I wrote " ... for the most part."
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
... the elderly were valued as family -- and community -- contributors for the most part. ...
The eskimo kayak thing? You mean where the elderly went off to die by their own decision and schedule? ... it is my understanding this is also what was done at Old Woman Springs.

Yes, there's a history of primitive suicide and assisted suicide.
And I am congratulating another side of the story ... the one where "for the most part" the elderly have been honored and valued and a part of the workings of a family and community -- until they, the elderly, recognize it is their time to go. In the case of what .highnlite has posted, these folks are feeling productive and useful again in their small way. By providing the fruits of their labors, they contribute food to those in need in the community. I think it is outstanding.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Calm down pops. I'm simply adding to the ebb and flow of a topic that, up to this point, is blessedly non-partisan isn't about taxes or the demise of California. In other words, I thought I'd chip in rather than ignore it like I do those others.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Manny, Moe and Jack.

You know the Pep Boy's Guys or dare I say the three.........

Anyway nice landscape themed thread OP.

Won't even touch the old person thing. Even I have boundries.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
As you saw, some of the folks are in wheelchairs, the whole farm is wheelchair accessible. Some of the folks with alzheimers or dementia who cannot care for themselves know exactly what to do when a watering can is put in their hands, that is profound.

Some of the folks who have sat, depressed, for years are now happy gardeners.

My wife tells me that one of the very striking things about the program is that you hear laughter. If any of you have spent time at an assisted living center, laughter among the folk is not all that common.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Calm down pops. I'm simply adding to the ebb and flow of a topic that, up to this point, is blessedly non-partisan isn't about taxes or the demise of California. In other words, I thought I'd chip in rather than ignore it like I do those others.
Checked my blood pressure after you submitted your observations last night ... checked again this morning ... running steady at the low 70's over about 110 level ... heart-rate under 60 bpm ... we're still good ... and those elderly are still getting a great final chapter ... as I wrote: "outstanding".

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,956 times
Did someone say "vegetables"?!

I love these creative ideas for improving quality of life!

P.S. I'm currently Googling other locations with a similar setup. Thank you!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Did someone say "vegetables"?!

I love these creative ideas for improving quality of life!
Mmmmm ... broccoli ... (this should get Fontucky's pressure up) ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California