Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Time to slash pensions for both current and future retirees?
Yes, time to slash and burn to save the state 35 66.04%
No, keep up this charade for as long as possible 18 33.96%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times

Advertisements

I don't think anybody can argue that the system doesn't have flaws and needs reform.

One thing that irks me is that pension levels are set at the income earned on the last year on the job INCLUDING OVERTIME.

How many times have we heard the story of the public worker who cranks out as much overtime as possible during his last year for the only reason to increase his pension. For instance, police officer/firefighter/prison guard has a base salary of $80K, but receives $120K in overtime during his last year so his pension is now set at $200K per year for the rest of his life! Seem fair???

Pension amounts should not include overtime pay, IMO.

Of course, I don't see a reason for public worker unions in the first place.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
No pensions will exceed 99K annually. NO ONE can retire before 65.

The so called "hero" cops and firefighters are absolutely abusing the system with their six figure pensions, retiring at age 50. They then abandon California and move to a red state like Montana or Arizona, putting the remaining Californians on the hook for their lavish pensions, and taking all the pension spending with them.
So I guess being "Pretty Liberal" means ignoring contractual obligations already entered into by the state; i.e. slashing pensions for current retirees.

That's commendable. Conversely, I guess that means the people can likewise ignore the rules of law. Think how much the state will be able to save emptying prisons and jails, making no new arrests, getting rid of the courts, disbanding law enforcement and going back to the 60s mantras of "Do your own thing" and "If it feels good do it" for all.

Of course, that might ignite anarchy but what price freedom from responsibility, right?

Pretty slick if you ask me.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I don't think anybody can argue that the system doesn't have flaws and needs reform.

One thing that irks me is that pension levels are set at the income earned on the last year on the job INCLUDING OVERTIME.

How many times have we heard the story of the public worker who cranks out as much overtime as possible during his last year for the only reason to increase his pension. For instance, police officer/firefighter/prison guard has a base salary of $80K, but receives $120K in overtime during his last year so his pension is now set at $200K per year for the rest of his life! Seem fair???

Pension amounts should not include overtime pay, IMO.

Of course, I don't see a reason for public worker unions in the first place.
Funny. Even if I could have worked overtime (I was management) my pension wouldn't have been increased on that basis and I worked for the state. My wife did too and her overtime wasn't counted in either. Wonder what we missed.

Here's a hint. A little research goes a long way. Just sayin'.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Funny. Even if I could have worked overtime (I was management) my pension wouldn't have been increased on that basis and I worked for the state. My wife did too and her overtime wasn't counted in either. Wonder what we missed.

Here's a hint. A little research goes a long way. Just sayin'.
A little research does go a long way. You should try it.

Seems you missed a lot.

What I described even has a name... "Pension spiking".

Google it, and you see what you missed.

Just sayin'...

Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So I guess being "Pretty Liberal" means ignoring contractual obligations already entered into by the state; i.e. slashing pensions for current retirees.

That's commendable. Conversely, I guess that means the people can likewise ignore the rules of law. Think how much the state will be able to save emptying prisons and jails, making no new arrests, getting rid of the courts, disbanding law enforcement and going back to the 60s mantras of "Do your own thing" and "If it feels good do it" for all.

Of course, that might ignite anarchy but what price freedom from responsibility, right?

Pretty slick if you ask me.

So what is your solution? That Californians set aside all the high taxes they pay only for the lavish pensions that are unsustainable in the long run? That they invest no money in education, infrastructure, parks, roads and all the money is tithed to serve their unionized public sector masters?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
A little research does go a long way. You should try it.

Seems you missed a lot.

What I described even has a name... "Pension spiking".

Google it, and you see what you missed.

Just sayin'...
And I'm just saying it worked that was in some municuipalities and counties but not in state government where it was limited to a promotion prior to your last year in state service. One size doesn't fit all. No Now as for research, your turn! Not only did I miss nothing, I lived them program.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Because that job requires no skills or an education. We should be disincentivizing such jobs, otherwise no one will spend thousands and years going to college and become a doctor, engineer, scientists etc.
Clearly you lack both - an education AND skills but the one thing you have plenty of is ignorance. But never fear, in most cases it can be fixed.

I guess the college and two law enforcement academies I attended and completed didn't count as education. Go figure!

Quote:
So what is your solution? That Californians set aside all the high taxes they pay only for the lavish pensions that are unsustainable in the long run? That they invest no money in education, infrastructure, parks, roads and all the money is tithed to serve their unionized public sector masters?
Fix it going forward. But first you have to clean house in Sacramento of all those legislators and any governor who owe their souls to the labor unions.

Elementary!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM

The only reason public unions exist to pad the pockets of it's members by fleecing the tax payer.

No other reason. The union's sole goal is to continually increase the pay and benefits of its members even to the point that it drains the state and local govt's of their ability to sustain.

Sounds like a parasite to me.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Quote:
I believe that the number one issue that is hurting California is bloated public sector pensions. The only solution I see is to absolutely SLASH pensions for public sector employees, INCLUDING current retirees. I dont care what the contract stipulates, this is an emergency situation for the state and we absolutely CANNOT continue to pay out these bloated pensions to public sector workers, INCLUDING cops and firefighters.

I think it is time people in California force their leaders to take charge on this issue immediately. Flood governor Brown's office with calls asking him to SLASH public sector pensions for BOTH current and future retirees and save our state. Also get rid of ALL welfare for illegal aliens.

Yes, I am a pretty liberal guy but enough is enough with the fiscal insanity.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 PM

596 posts, read 983,080 times
Quote:
Well I dont care...life is hard for a lot of people. You CHOSE that profession knowing what it entails. Since your job is physical, it is your duty to stay in shape...I know many fit people at 65 who can take care of themselves because they WORK HARD to stay fit.

If you want to retire at 50, go get a desk job and wait for 15 years till you are eligible for full retirement or take a huge haircut in the annual benefits.

Believe it or not, there are certain careers that have a MANDATORY maximum retirement age that is less than 65. I myself retired from one such aviation career. Trust me, you definitely do not want some old fart doing what I used to do, no matter how physically fit that they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California