Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times

Advertisements

When it comes to groceries, good luck finding mom-n-pops around here. There is a new one (Rio Ranch) opening up this month where a Ralphs supermarket (Kroger-owned) used to be. They're a small, 6-store chain that's locally owned and IE only, and I plan to split my grocery shopping between them and the local WinCo (employee-owned western chain).

I do frequent locally-owned & independent carnecerias, panaderias and doughnut shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Does it really matter who's selling it? You're probably helping the locals either way (chains generally hire local people) and what you're buying is likely made in China anyway.
This. It's completely irrelevant. Mom and shop operations pay terrible wages, don't offer benefits, etc. It's really solely an issue of value-added. To me if you operate a retail outlet that just stocks Chinese do-dads that can be acquired at Wal-Mart, you aren't adding any value.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Personally, I am growing closer and closer to raising crickets and fat grub-worms for protein to go with my fishing and the easy chickens and local deer, while consuming fruits and veggies from neighbors', and my own, gardens. No need for grains, though we do raise a nice bunch of potatoes.

I do not want grubs and crickets shipped from afar -- same goes for my broccoli.
Eat local. No need to shop hardly at all.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I’ve seen a number of small businesses screaming for people to shop local while providing a substandard level of service. I’ll spend my money in a local establishment if they deserve it, so don’t try and guilt me. A number of these businesses forget that companies like Amazon, eBay and my favorite Universal Cycles are a quick click away and it’s no longer the horse and buggy days.
It is about an awareness... If you can visualize where that dollar travels.. That is more than half the battle.. I am not trying to "guilt you" Just asking for people to wake up!! See the reality....

I too refuse to pay more for substandard service or product.. I too do my fair share of internet shopping... Funny you mention ebay..... A mecca of small business owners, an excellent way to support mom and pop operations... I see the internet as our friend in this effort to take back America..

But for a couple of cents different I am willing to buy a local good or service whenever possible..

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
This. It's completely irrelevant. Mom and shop operations pay terrible wages, don't offer benefits, etc. It's really solely an issue of value-added. To me if you operate a retail outlet that just stocks Chinese do-dads that can be acquired at Wal-Mart, you aren't adding any value.
So you would rather live in a community of low payed walmart employees, with no way to get out of their miserable financial situation, than live in a community filled with people that have hope, and wake up excited about their day, and the implementation of their new business idea!?...

These mom and pop people will be going to go to the local print shop to get their banner made, the local hardware store to buy shelf, do business at the local bank, hire a local plumber or carpenter to fix something up... The money they make will buy a home in your community, send their kids to school in your community and so on... When the small business owners die or retire, the kids have the option of the family business... Something of value... What is it you get from working at say walmart or any other big chain?

Are you aware that walmart does not buy items it stocks, it places the entire risk on the manufacture... If an item does not sell they send it back to the manufacture... Manufactures take the hit and go under if they were small... Ain't that great for American manufactures....

Seriously how many mom and pop's are selling Chinese do dads?.... Really, even if they are they bought the inventory and are taking the risk, they are supporting other small manufactures Chinese or American or wherever.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:49 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
TrueTimbers--you seem to be in Wisconsin, so I don't really see the point of your posts to encourage Californians to buy locally. My local grocery store went out of business because they lost too many customers due to spoiled food (apparently the "frozen" part of frozen food was a suggestion, not a requirement) and then blamed WalMart for running them out of business.

The "Mom and Pop" stores abound here--mostly run by recent immigrants, and there's certainly no deals to be found. Most are wildly overpriced and rely on location or customers who have no way to get to a better store. That's not my idea of supporting my community.

You had made a comment about my investing--"for every penny you may gain, the CEO gains x1000." I gain a whole lot more than a penny, and I invest in companies with CEO's who know how to make that happen. I don't care a bit how much the CEO earns, if he makes me money. I consider personal investing to be a part-time job, and spend the time necessary to succeed. Many people just throw some money at "whatever" and then complain that "Wall Street ripped them off."

Your comments about the CEO's and the "fat theiving bankers" pretty well sums up your stance, and I'd just have to say that I see things differently.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
TrueTimbers--you seem to be in Wisconsin, so I don't really see the point of your posts to encourage Californians to buy locally. My local grocery store went out of business because they lost too many customers due to spoiled food (apparently the "frozen" part of frozen food was a suggestion, not a requirement) and then blamed WalMart for running them out of business.

The "Mom and Pop" stores abound here--mostly run by recent immigrants, and there's certainly no deals to be found. Most are wildly overpriced and rely on location or customers who have no way to get to a better store. That's not my idea of supporting my community.

You had made a comment about my investing--"for every penny you may gain, the CEO gains x1000." I gain a whole lot more than a penny, and I invest in companies with CEO's who know how to make that happen. I don't care a bit how much the CEO earns, if he makes me money. I consider personal investing to be a part-time job, and spend the time necessary to succeed. Many people just throw some money at "whatever" and then complain that "Wall Street ripped them off."

Your comments about the CEO's and the "fat theiving bankers" pretty well sums up your stance, and I'd just have to say that I see things differently.
Right. You do see things differently. Apparently all that matters to you is your personal bottom line. Whatever gets you what you want is acceptable. Community, environment, concentration of wealth: none supersede your personal position.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I support a few local busienesses but at least a few of them ARE immigrant owned and I'm fairly certain some of the money they make goes out of the the country. I also support of a few local businesses that do add fun and interest to the community. One such place employes my son so I know there is more behind the scenes that just our little area, there are other businesses the owners are involved in and expansion/franchising is always something they think about. At some point a suceessful buesiness stops being "mom and pop" and becomes Walmart....if they do it right. "Mom" is CEO and "Dad" is CFO and suddenly you don't like them anymore. It's the American Way.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:25 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

But for a couple of cents different I am willing to buy a local good or service whenever possible..
The problem it’s never just a few cents.

I would always here about people going out of town to buy new cars when I lived in Redding and the local car dealers could only *****/moan and make feeble attempts to guilt. When you start talking about thousands of dollars in potential savings it’s no contest.

Don’t even get me started on bicycle components, car parts, hardware and electronics. There’s not a chance in hell I’m going to pay 30-40% more for the same part because your buy-in tier sucks or your boat payment is late.

Some small businesses have that mentality of the only game in town and let the service aspect of a small business slip entirely. The keyword is being some.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
I often reflect on the probable fact, that the American Experiment is a failure. We have become a nation of government of the corporation, for the corporation, by the corporation. This has been going on for quite some time.

Now that corporations are people. The super pacs are destroying what is left of the democracy. All that we can do is be local, buy local, and wait for the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California