Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:54 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Californians flee for better-run states, study finds | Fox News

"Californians are fleeing in droves to live in better-managed states"

... I guess that explains why home prices in California are the cheapest in the country sigh

*** In all seriousness, I find it funny that Fox News would actually post this kind of article with a full color picture on their front page... I think they are getting desperate now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
"There are many reasons for the exodus, including economic hardship and population density"

Population density? In the cities? Whoda thunk?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
"Basically, if you don’t own a piece of Facebook or Google and you haven’t robbed a bank and don't have rich parents, then your chances of being able to buy a house or raise a family in the Bay Area or in most of coastal California is pretty weak,"

Heh yeah.............no.

California has problems, but this is nonsense. And owning FB stock, really?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Californians flee for better-run states, study finds | Fox News

"Californians are fleeing in droves to live in better-managed states"
That's just a summary of the original 17 page article on the Manhattan Institute website.

Civic Report 71 | The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look

Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
I think it shows a failed liberal state in continued decline and the people are still basically clueless as to why. I was born and raised in CA and saw it in its glory. The streets pristine, the beaches unpoluted and no trash up and down the hwy's. Homeless were not pets back then. So tell me how a liberally controlled state can have such decay in the cities, such filth on the streets and so much polution on the beach? So much to ponder. Blame Bush all you want but the fact is you are powerless to come up with any real solution.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
"There are many reasons for the exodus, including economic hardship and population density"

They're unemployed losers who can't afford to live the dream. Yes, it sucks for them and I'm glad they're leaving to work meaning jobs in crappy places but don't for a second think if they were successful they wouldn't stay. Their problem is too many people who actually are successful have priced them out of the housing market. Well, that and the linger effects of the recession caused by the real estate bubble.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

They're unemployed losers who can't afford to live the dream. Yes, it sucks for them and I'm glad they're leaving to work meaning jobs in crappy places but don't for a second think if they were successful they wouldn't stay. Their problem is too many people who actually are successful have priced them out of the housing market. Well, that and the linger effects of the recession caused by the real estate bubble.
Funny, I know quite a few successful people who have left.

For some it is easier to denigrate those who leave than actually deal with the problems.

Owning property in 3 States and having lived in 6 others besides CA, it is easy to see why many leave and why others wish they had enough money to leave. I can also see why many stay. It is not a black and white picture, as each has what they consider good reasons for leaving or staying. Ignoring why so many successful people leave is not going to solve the problems of CA.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:

See what happens when you think for yourself. You post nonsense! Better to let the gubmint do your thinking for you and just sit back and enjoy the kool-aid.

We moved out of state a year after we both retired on an income quite a bit higher than the median in CA. We could easily have stayed but elected not to. There was somewhere else we wished to live and had discussed for years. Now we're there, enjoying the lifestyle and coincidentally, the tax structure, home costs and overall COL also helps us maximize our retirement dollars. But it's the lifestyle that counts most.

I doubt that we're alone in this.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I think it shows a failed liberal state in continued decline and the people are still basically clueless as to why. I was born and raised in CA and saw it in its glory. The streets pristine, the beaches unpoluted and no trash up and down the hwy's. Homeless were not pets back then. So tell me how a liberally controlled state can have such decay in the cities, such filth on the streets and so much polution on the beach? So much to ponder. Blame Bush all you want but the fact is you are powerless to come up with any real solution.

Not so accurate, I remember visiting Alturas California in 1977. It impressed me as very clean and neat, no trash blowing around.
Which was very different from most of the rest of California nearly 30 years ago.
Beaches years ago had even more cigarette butts and trash as beach cleaning machines were not as prevalent.
The homeless are a gift of Reagan and the Vietnam War.
In the late 60's I took the greyhound bus many times, if any of you ever went through the Los Angeles bus station, you too know it was a dirty scary place outside of that bus station, same with San Jose, Salinas, Oakland.
The solution is actually easy, it starts with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Funny, I know quite a few successful people who have left.

For some it is easier to denigrate those who leave than actually deal with the problems.

Owning property in 3 States and having lived in 6 others besides CA, it is easy to see why many leave and why others wish they had enough money to leave. I can also see why many stay. It is not a black and white picture, as each has what they consider good reasons for leaving or staying. Ignoring why so many successful people leave is not going to solve the problems of CA.
If you are an indoor person, it matters not a whit where you live, head out. If you are an outdoor person, it is tough to find the equal of California, remember 49% of the state is public land, uninhabited, and aside from the military installations it is all there for you.

I see no problem with people leaving, I encourage people to leave, please leave, there are..... drum roll..... 62 paved roads that leave this state. You can do the opposite of Oldtraders kin, and leave from "both sides of the state".

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:

Is your real name Mitt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California