Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You'll also notice that other than Imperial county (in the desert right on the border) ALL of the highest poverty counties are bright red Republican voting counties. )
Where are you showing the poverty rate now that they are adjusting for cost of living. You are not. The poverty rate throughout California is much higher than it was previously listed at, due to the high cost of living, which moves poverty into the cities of California and those maps you showed as invalid due to not up to current standards.

If we look at the poverty rate in the biggest city in California and one of the most Democratic leaning cities in the country the poverty rate by the old standards. It is also the second largest city in the country. That one city alone has almost 4 times the state of Montana in population.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And this is by the old standard, and today with the new it is much higher. Back then 14 sections of town 1/4th of the city went from 50% to 77%, and just think that was by the old standards and wonder how high it is today.

On top of that, Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.) is not considered a decent source of information, as anyone can put something in it or alter what is there, and is not something that someone can rely on. The Wikipedia is for the amateur when researching, and is really kind of a joke for reference material.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2012 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM

131 posts, read 167,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I hope this answers your questions, on why Texas is so hot right now.
Texas is hot because it is way south and center geographically in the country.
It is miserable hot. I been there to say so.

And, if enough malcontents from California move to Texas, maybe I can return to California and find space for my fat self. Never should have come back east. It was the pizza and hoagies that done me in. Song of the sirens. If I'd have stayed in California I'd be eating healthy rabbit food. I'd be svelte, and I wouldn't sweat like a pig. Women would swoon. They'd fight to ride on my bus.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Where are you showing the poverty rate now that they are adjusting for cost of living. You are not. The poverty rate throughout California is much higher than it was previously listed at, due to the high cost of living, which moves poverty into the cities of California and those maps you showed as invalid due to not up to current standards.

If we look at the poverty rate in the biggest city in California and one of the most Democratic leaning cities in the country the poverty rate by the old standards. It is also the second largest city in the country. That one city alone has almost 4 times the state of Montana in population.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And this is by the old standard, and today with the new it is much higher. Back then 14 sections of town 1/4th of the city went from 50% to 77%, and just think that was by the old standards and wonder how high it is today.

On top of that, Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.) is not considered a decent source of information, as anyone can put something in it or alter what is there, and is not something that someone can rely on. The Wikipedia is for the amateur when researching, and is really kind of a joke for reference material.
What are you? Oldtrader or DarthVader? You trying to turn California into some kinda Bangladesh manufacturing hell hole?

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM

444 posts, read 665,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
What are you? Oldtrader or DarthVader? You trying to turn California into some kinda Bangladesh manufacturing hell hole?
He's someone obviously frustrated with life like most doom & gloom preachers here. Most miserable people want to spread their cynicism and despair. He goes about doing that by posting in a CA forum.

Lots of time on their hands.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
He's someone obviously frustrated with life like most doom & gloom preachers here. Most miserable people want to spread their cynicism and despair. He goes about doing that by posting in a CA forum.

Lots of time on their hands.
Yeah? You don't say.

i been browsing some of these threads. Whole gaggle of complainers all right. This is broke. That is stupid. Fix this and that because it all sucks. The state is going to get flushed. Sky's gonna fall. The illegals make me too stupid to live the way I dream. Why should I pay taxes to live in the nicest place in the country. How do I get from here to Texas the fastest (use your freakin GPS). Etc. Agita.

Tell you what, youse fix everything just the way you want it should be and know what'll happen? About 38 million more people will show up. See how you all lik eit then. Wished I'd never come back east.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Reasons California has so much poverty, and high unemployment.

46th highest cost of living driving even many employed people into poverty.

48th highest cost to do business, which is driving many companies (one every working day) from the state, and keeping many others from moving to the state. Even many of the big players in Silicon Valley are building their new facilities or doing their production they did in California at one time from the state. Their Choice: Move to another state and make a profit, or stay in California and make very low profits or be put out of business. Remember companies have to make a profit to survive.

43rd worst economy in the country, a result of the above two problems.

30th worst infrastructure and transportation.

33rd worst education system in the country. Many families are leaving the state for this one reason alone. Companies look for the future workforce, and take this into consideration in a big way.

43rd in business friendliness, which keeps many businesses from wanting to stay in or move to California.

America's Top States for Business 2012 - Cost of Living Rankings - CNBC

47th worst unemployment rate in nation.

2012 State Unemployment Rates

48th highest business taxes in nation and going up to make California #1 soon.

Then compare to Texas, and it is no wonder so many companies and so many people are moving to Texas. Just think, Texas even beats California on Technology and Innovation second only to New York, where most people on the west coast would think California was the leader.

California has serious problems and they are not going to solve themselves. Any company thinking of expanding in California, moving to California, startups, etc., are going to take these problems into consideration.

Poverty rate, is caused by an accumulation of all these problems.
Thanks oldtrader for all that info.
I think you hit the nail on the head---it is the COMPILATION of all the above that is causing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: