Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 PM

10 posts, read 32,288 times

Advertisements

I hope your wonderful collective wealth of knowledge can help me to narrow down some areas to consider to move to with my family. We love it here in Seattle but really need to get some more sun for medical reasons.

We are looking for an area that is great for families with younger and school-age kids, has good free schools, is progressive (decent amount of fairly liberal-minded people, at least somewhat environmentally friendly, good restaurants-thai, vegetarian, indian...), low crime and pollution AND (yikes, starts to get harder...) not in a major earthquake prone area, gets a good amount of sun but not SUPER hot (ie 100 degrees), gets coolish in the winter, isn't too far to drive to find mountains, snow, and good camping.

I know this is a tall order. Please help, does anything close exist???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,790 times
Regarding the seismic vulnerability, this map should be useful:

http://www.seismic.ca.gov/pub/shaking_18x23.jpg

As you can see, most of the coast is ruled out, but that is where you are going to find the mild weather. Away from the coast, if you want moderate summer temperatures, that means being in a forest and/or at decent elevation in the mountains. In general, inland + flat + no tree cover = baking summers.

Any other potentially show-stopping criteria we should know about, e.g., affordable housing or a good job market?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,381 times
There are different subregions within California you should familiarize yourself with.

The Bay Area - Very expensive, very liberal in some areas to moderate in parts of the East Bay (Concord, Walnut Creek, Livermore, etc).

The Central Coast - Monterey County south to Santa Maria. Moderately liberal in most areas. Living expenses are moderately expensive to very expensive, depending on area.

North Coast - Much like the Central Coast, but much more liberal.

The Sacramento Valley and Northern Motherlode - Cost of living is close the national average in many areas, more expensive around the Sacramento Metro area. The region as a whole is very weird politically. Most people define it as conservative. However, libertarian is probably a better definition. Socially, they don't get worked up about issues like gay marriage. Fiscally, they don't believe they should be financially responsible for other people's problems. For the most part, the way they vote depends on if they are going to have to pay for it.

San Joaquin Valley - Very conservative fiscally and socially. The core of larger cities tends to vote democratic due to the large amount of Mexicans. However, they vote with a very traditional and conservative mindset influenced by the Catholic Church, so socially, they are still very conservative.

Crime and quality of schools varies by community, and neighbourhoods within larger communities throughout California. You have to pick a place and do your homework on this one otherwise you are going to get a very broad generalization for an answer. For example, Oakland has some of the worst neighbourhoods in the state, and some of the best

Any place in the Coastal Ranges is a locality with a huge seismic event waiting to happen. Some areas are higher risk than others. Any location within a short distance to areas with frequent snow is going to have warm summers, with the exception of those areas at high elevations. And even some of those places are warm in the summer. People make a bigger issue out of the heat than they should. Afternoons in Northern California are warm. The worst heatwaves are of short duration. Nights recover with lows down into the low 60s. Humidity is low. From about Merced and south in the San Joaquin Valley, heat becomes persistent. However, unless you are within sight of the coastline you are going to experience a few days every year with warm temperatures.

Last edited by KC6ZLV; 01-19-2011 at 12:11 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Ok, to better answer such a question we'll need more information. Keep in Mind CA is a huge state, even if you consider Central to NorCal. It is larger than the entire PNW put together in both size and population. We have everything form the lowest deserts to the highest mountains in the lower 48. We have remote 1 horse towns to huge metropolitan cities. So while that list is a good start what other things will be important to you such as:

* What is your housing budget, CA is expensive, especially in the nicer family neighborhoods with good schools near larger economic centers?
* Do you have to buy right away or will you consider renting/leasing first?
* Where will you work, what will you need to be close to? Or do you work out the house/telecommute?
* Do you prefer being close to the ocean, desert, lakes, mountains, etc...?
* What size city do you prefer to live in/near? How about major airports, shopping, etc..?
* What about allergies, asthma or an aversion to high smog areas such as the Central Valley?

Derek

Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 PM

Thanks to everyone for responding. My husband lived in San Francisco for about 10 years and I've spent time from Monterey and Santa Cruz to Arcata, mostly pretty near the coast. These are the areas we know and love. Now that we have kids, we'd like to find an area that is not earthquake prone such as these. We are less familar with the areas east of the coast to find something that's as cool, cute or funky as the places we know. As far as towns vs cities, we're open to a range of sizes but would lean toward something bigger (at least 20,000) rather smaller.

Being from Seattle, we're used to somewhat expensive housing but nothing astronomical. We'll be looking for a job in the medical profession.

We are okay with some heat (some 90+ degree days but not the whole summer). All this plus the above criteria I listed (low pollution, good schools, progressive...). We're open to different types of landscapes except desert and the earthquake thing mostly rules out the coast. Any ideas? And a question to KC6ZLV, is Manteca conservative too? Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdima002 View Post
Thanks to everyone for responding. My husband lived in San Francisco for about 10 years and I've spent time from Monterey and Santa Cruz to Arcata, mostly pretty near the coast. These are the areas we know and love. Now that we have kids, we'd like to find an area that is not earthquake prone such as these. We are less familar with the areas east of the coast to find something that's as cool, cute or funky as the places we know. As far as towns vs cities, we're open to a range of sizes but would lean toward something bigger (at least 20,000) rather smaller.

Being from Seattle, we're used to somewhat expensive housing but nothing astronomical. We'll be looking for a job in the medical profession.

We are okay with some heat (some 90+ degree days but not the whole summer). All this plus the above criteria I listed (low pollution, good schools, progressive...). We're open to different types of landscapes except desert and the earthquake thing mostly rules out the coast. Any ideas? And a question to KC6ZLV, is Manteca conservative too? Thanks
Ok, thats more helpful. You are right in that it's a tall order. And I think you realize that. So being aware that this dream location may not exist at least in it's entirety, you probably also realize that there will be compromise in some form or fashion.

It's really unfortunate that you are so fearful of the earthquakes, especially since the coast comes closer to meeting all the other requirements. It's almost like looking for the Bay Area without the being the Bay. Be that as it may, if this is an important requirement, then yes, you will have to look inland.

So head east the first thing you will encounter in the Central Valley. Now the CV has it own set of unique pros/cons. Thus it will not meet all the criteria listed. For example the smog/pollution is worse, especially in certain pockets. The summers are very hot. It can be more politically conservative than the coastal communities you are so fond of and familiar with.

Now as you head still more east you get closer to the mountains and the Sierra Foothills. This may wind up being closest to what you are looking for. Possibly the outskirts of Sacramento would work. You would be close to the Sierras, lakes, camping, hiking areas. And as you begin to climb the climate and smog improve somewhat. Still you will get some heat and smog which will be part of the compromise.

Your other option and the one I would recommend would be to look closer to the coast. But look in the less likely places for a major quake (>7.0). Nothing will be a 100% guarantee. But check out the scientific forecasts here:

http://www.scec.org/core/public/scec...php/3935/13661

https://profile.usgs.gov/myscience/u..._2009_BSSA.pdf

Just in looking at these predictions the Bay Area and north look highly likely. And Santa Barbara South through LA and other parts of SoCal look likely as well.

The more interesting parts are the ones with lighter shades and lower probabilities of the the Big One hitting. Look for example at Monterey to Point Conception and you'll notice a reduced risk along the coast. So that would be something to look at keeping in mind you are dealing with forecasts/predictions, but that they are based on research and existing fault lines.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-20-2011 at 12:00 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 AM

230 posts, read 623,329 times
Quote:
I hope your wonderful collective wealth of knowledge can help me to narrow down some areas to consider to move to with my family. We love it here in Seattle but really need to get some more sun for medical reasons.

We are looking for an area that is great for families with younger and school-age kids, has good free schools, is progressive (decent amount of fairly liberal-minded people, at least somewhat environmentally friendly, good restaurants-thai, vegetarian, indian...), low crime and pollution AND (yikes, starts to get harder...) not in a major earthquake prone area, gets a good amount of sun but not SUPER hot (ie 100 degrees), gets coolish in the winter, isn't too far to drive to find mountains, snow, and good camping.

I know this is a tall order. Please help, does anything close exist???
Hi! You're certainly asking a great, and knowledgeable, group here. I can probably give you some ideas. I happen to be a California export presently in the Seattle area, but returning to sunnier climes ASAP as I've found that I have SAD. You just can't know until you move somewhere like Seattle if you're going to get it. Growing up in California there was no way to know I was solar-powered.

I've lived in several spots in California, and have traveled to many more. If you're looking in the medical profession, then that certainly opens things up for you job-wise. That's one career that is usually easier to relocate.

Not really sure about the fear of earthquakes. I lived in California for most of my life (over 40 years) and even lived through the big Sylmar quake, etc, and they have zero effect on my life. Is there a particular reason you're so frightened of them? I'm more concerned about a tree falling on my house in the Seattle area, than I ever was with earthquakes. Or perhaps volcanoes up here. I really don't agree that earthquake threats rule out the entire California coast. Earthquake faults are everywhere in many states.. I'm happy to see another poster here putting up geo data for you. I figure no matter where you live, there is going to be a threat of something, whether it's flooding, volcanoes, tornadoes, etc.

Without really doing any geological research, here are some ideas. Of all the places i've lived in California, the one area that really felt like home was San Luis Obispo County. You get a bit of the beach vibe, a bit of rural, and super friendly people. It's pretty clean and safe, overall. the crime rate is much lower than most areas on the West Coast of the same size. Housing will be more modest in the Seattle price range, but you get 75 degree weather almost year 'round in most areas. Schools are good, etc, and it's a pretty progressive area.

I like the Aptos and Capitola areas, but they're more pricey and are near Santa Cruz which is earth-quakey. I can think of a few places east of the coast, but you're looking at 100 degree days in the summer (like Chico or Davis.) I hear wonderful things about Sacramento, including proximity to the mountains, but we're talking major heat in the summer. If I could do that kind of heat, I'd consider that area.

With your particular criteria, it does limit things a bit, as some areas I'd suggest to you would probably be too pricey (like Camarillo or Ventura.) But feel free to check those out... too.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
There are different subregions within California you should familiarize yourself with.

The Bay Area - Very expensive, very liberal in some areas to moderate in parts of the East Bay (Concord, Walnut Creek, Livermore, etc).

The Central Coast - Monterey County south to Santa Maria. Moderately liberal in most areas. Living expenses are moderately expensive to very expensive, depending on area.

North Coast - Much like the Central Coast, but much more liberal.

The Sacramento Valley and Northern Motherlode - Cost of living is close the national average in many areas, more expensive around the Sacramento Metro area. The region as a whole is very weird politically. Most people define it as conservative. However, libertarian is probably a better definition. Socially, they don't get worked up about issues like gay marriage. Fiscally, they don't believe they should be financially responsible for other people's problems. For the most part, the way they vote depends on if they are going to have to pay for it.

San Joaquin Valley - Very conservative fiscally and socially. The core of larger cities tends to vote democratic due to the large amount of Mexicans. However, they vote with a very traditional and conservative mindset influenced by the Catholic Church, so socially, they are still very conservative.

Crime and quality of schools varies by community, and neighbourhoods within larger communities throughout California. You have to pick a place and do your homework on this one otherwise you are going to get a very broad generalization for an answer. For example, Oakland has some of the worst neighbourhoods in the state, and some of the best

Any place in the Coastal Ranges is a locality with a huge seismic event waiting to happen. Some areas are higher risk than others. Any location within a short distance to areas with frequent snow is going to have warm summers, with the exception of those areas at high elevations. And even some of those places are warm in the summer. People make a bigger issue out of the heat than they should. Afternoons in Northern California are warm. The worst heatwaves are of short duration. Nights recover with lows down into the low 60s. Humidity is low. From about Merced and south in the San Joaquin Valley, heat becomes persistent. However, unless you are within sight of the coastline you are going to experience a few days every year with warm temperatures.
That's probably the best summation of the regions of CA I've read. Should be a stick post all by itself. Good Job!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks again to all for responding. I have checked out the earthquake maps several times and unfortunately my favorite places are all in the "red" zones. I know to many of you these fears are irrational and it feels like no big deal to you, but all I can say is, after being in several earthquakes, they scare the crap out of me and I'd prefer to not live where I would be worrying about one, especially "the big one."

That being said, climate and terrain is where we're willing to be the most flexible. I guess my main question is, can anyone name any towns or cities that are away from major quake areas, that have some of the feeling of the Bay area or any of the other great liberal areas along the coast? Before posting at all, I've checked into towns that are outside of the major earthquake zones and just can't tell what the feel of the towns are from the internet. There must be some...

Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
We'll be looking for a job in the medical profession.
This all boils down to one thing, where you can get a job. And, you'd only need the forum's advice if you have a choice of jobs in more than one location. So, if you are lucky enough to have two offers in two different places then we can give you some advice.

Otherwise, this is a wild goose chase. It's 69 times easier to find a nice place to live once you've found a job than it is to find a job once you've found a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California