Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,169,559 times

Advertisements

Californians, past and present, do you consider the state of California a great (maybe, even spectacular) place to visit, but terrible place to live? Moreover, with a population of more than 36 million inhabitants, and growing, how could one consider this state an undesireable place to live? Who's moving here? Further, to those whom left California for "greener pastures," do you regret your move from this political constituent? And, for people who have moved to California, has this state exceeded or underwhelmed your expectations?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Californians, past and present, do you consider the state of California a great (maybe, even spectacular) place to visit, but terrible place to live? Moreover, with a population of more than 36 million inhabitants, and growing, how could one consider this state an undesireable place to live? Who's moving here? Further, to those whom left California for "greener pastures," do you regret your move from this political constituent? And, for people who have moved to California, has this state exceeded or underwhelmed your expectations?
Politics never factored into our move; Only economics (and the unhealthfulness of traffic) did. But, things are changing big time economically. Traffic will probably always be bad though. There are some bad places to live and there are some good places to live. If you move to California, move to the good places (job, schools, not ugly).

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,169,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Politics never factored into our move; Only economics (and the unhealthfulness of traffic) did. But, things are changing big time economically. Traffic will probably always be bad though. There are some bad places to live and there are some good places to live. If you move to California, move to the good places (job, schools, not ugly).
Political constituent is just another word for 'state.'

Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Political constituent is just another word for 'state.'
For the sake of this thread, politics, state government, taxes, and (small) business climate are often a big reason people have complained about California.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM

212 posts, read 641,095 times
yes.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
I enjoy living in CA. I moved away once but got back here as quickly as I could. Some people love it here, some people don't. To each their own.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Moreover, with a population of more than 36 million inhabitants, and growing, how could one consider this state an undesireable place to live? Who's moving here?
People who are in a worse place than California (ie peasants from dirt poor countries) or young people from small town America who've watched too much TV and think California is the place to be.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
Quote:
People who are in a worse place than California (ie peasants from dirt poor countries) or young people from small town America who've watched too much TV and think California is the place to be.
Hm, well, I understand that some people are moving to California for those reasons; however, there are others moving here for legitimate reasons (just as there are regular people moving everywhere for regular reasons).

We moved here because there were jobs in my husband's field. Besides, we like California and have family here. That's three good reasons. Moreover, now that we are here, we find that we like living here even more than we liked visiting. We've been here about a year now.

Others have their own experiences and I would not downplay anyone else's genuine experience - no single place can satisfy everyone.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,851 times
Quote:
Californians, past and present, do you consider the state of California a great (maybe, even spectacular) place to visit, but terrible place to live?
Yes. When my family moved from the L.A. area to Montana when I was 10, I was pissed at my folks that they made me live in CA when they knew there were places like Montana. As an adult I realized that CA has spectacular places, plus I love Disneyland, so I've visited, & will continue to visit, often. I doubt I'd ever live there again to suffer the gov't gridlock and taxes.

Last edited by Heiwos; 02-23-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,918 times
Quote:
Californians, past and present, do you consider the state of California a great (maybe, even spectacular) place to visit, but terrible place to live?
I think CA is a wonderful place to visit.

I think CA has wonderful places to live and some undesirable places to live. There's no way to discuss the state as a whole in this sense.

If I had to discuss it as a whole, I still think it's a pretty good place to live. Certainly not perfect, but good. I've liked everywhere that I have lived in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California