Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a nice place to visit in Northern California. I have visited southern California for many years, but have never ventured above LA. I have heard wonderful things about the natural beauty in Northern California and am looking for suggestions on places to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
The area around Mt. Shasta looked awesome when I was driving down from Washington but didn't have time to stop. I'd also check out Redwoods.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 AM

43 posts, read 35,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I am looking for a nice place to visit in Northern California. I have visited southern California for many years, but have never ventured above LA. I have heard wonderful things about the natural beauty in Northern California and am looking for suggestions on places to visit.
There are so many places. I'd fly into San Francisco and spend some time there. There are many day trips such as Muir Woods (Redwood Trees), Napa Valley (Wine), Sausalito (nice small coastal town across the bridge). If you want to rent a car and travel around, go to Santa Cruz, Monterey, take the Pacific Coast Highway to San Luis Obsipo. You'll pass through San Simeon (wild elephant seals) and Big Sur. You can take HWY 101 back to San Francisco. This will show you some of Northern California and Central California.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Tahoe and Lassen, and drive 89 between the two, then head up to Shasta, still on 89. Then across the Klamath Country to Eureka, have lunch at the Samoa Cookhouse, visit the Redwoods, watch the elk. Kayak the lagoons, then wander south to Ferndale, and the Lost Coast, there used to be a great omelet restaurant in Fort Bragg, and there is a great fish restaurant down by the harbor, kayak the harbor, then to Mendocino, take your visa card. etc etc etc.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3series View Post
There are so many places. I'd fly into San Francisco and spend some time there. There are many day trips such as Muir Woods (Redwood Trees), Napa Valley (Wine), Sausalito (nice small coastal town across the bridge). If you want to rent a car and travel around, go to Santa Cruz, Monterey, take the Pacific Coast Highway to San Luis Obsipo. You'll pass through San Simeon (wild elephant seals) and Big Sur. You can take HWY 101 back to San Francisco. This will show you some of Northern California and Central California.
I would recommend something similar to this as well. The only thing not mentioned is Lake Tahoe but that's quite a far drive from everything else mentioned.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Quote:
I am looking for a nice place to visit in Northern California.
Are you thinking about picking one general vicinity? Or would you cover several location among 100 ro 200 miles. If you decide to see redwoods, don't compromise on Muir Woods. It's not at all in the league of the far north parks like Humboldt Redwoods State Park, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, or Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.

Oregon's tallest pines at 268 feet, are taller than every redwood in Muir Woods. The tall redwoods are up in Humboldt and Del Norte. The 300 foot plus are up north. And the biggest coast redwoods too. If by chance that sounds interesting, some towns to hang out at are:

Ferndale - Arcata - Eureka - Trinidad

Image below from Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
I think the most varied and beautiful parts of the state are off PCH. Take a cruize up hwy 1, campgrounds and state parks are very common and nice. Enjoy!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Hands down: Ft Bragg and the Mendocino Coast. Best parts of Northern California.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 PM

64 posts, read 264,711 times
Obviously from my name, I like Carmel a beautiful white sand beach and lots of art galleries, restaurants and tourist shopping. Monterey Bay Aquarium is always fun. But my favorite is Big Sur for the Redwoods and Nepenthe.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 PM

64 posts, read 264,711 times
Sorry, forgot to add, want to see great pictures of this area? Search City Data for: MtnSurfer he posts great pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California