Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Good point. Florida has more in common with California (Spanish colonial) than it does with Alabama.
Florida isn't like Alabama but it certainly isn't much like California either. It is very much it's own state with its own personality..There are no San Franciscos in Florida and no Miami's in California for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I tend to think it's about 70% of white males and in the mid 50's of white females that voted Romney. /shrug
now that is probably about right, but it is hard to find the exact breakdown..I did find it for WV, Al, Mississippi and I think N Carolina.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Florida isn't like Alabama but it certainly isn't much like California either. It is very much it's own state with its own personality..There are no San Franciscos in Florida and no Miami's in California for starters.
Who are you responding to? What I said was "it has MORE in common with CA (Spanish colonial) than with Alabama. What I did NOT say is that "it's like CA". "it's like" and "has more in common than____" have very different meanings. One is a direct black and white comparison. The other is a three way comparison seeing which two are more like one another than the they are to the third. Doesn't mean they are close necessarily. Understood?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Who are you responding to? What I said was "it has MORE in common with CA (Spanish colonial) than with Alabama. What I did NOT say is that "it's like CA". "it's like" and "has more in common than____" have very different meanings. One is a direct black and white comparison. The other is a three way comparison seeing which two are more like one another than the they are to the third. Doesn't mean they are close necessarily. Understood?
I very much got the "Spanish Colonial" part, but I am not here to get into a contest as to who said what and why or who meant what? Playing the he said, she said game is just a waste of our time, yours and mine. I am on one side, you the other, it will always be that way, so I think I will just drop the debate for now.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I very much got the "Spanish Colonial" part, but I am not here to get into a contest as to who said what and why or who meant what? Playing the he said, she said game is just a waste of our time, yours and mine. I am on one side, you the other, it will always be that way, so I think I will just drop the debate for now.
LMAO at "he said she said". You are simply not understanding what you're responding to. If you're going to give a response to a post, the very least you can do is try to understand what the person actually said.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pears View Post
I find it funny that there are people that actually believe that southern CA is more liberal than northern CA. Northern CA is far more liberal. The most liberal cities in CA are mainly in Northern CA. All the conservative cities are only found in southern CA, and all but two of the most liberal cities are found in northern CA.

Conservative Places
10. Temecula (Riverside)
9. Palos Verdes Estates (Los Angeles)
8. Ridgecrest (Kern)
7. Coronado (San Diego)
6. Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange)
5. San Clemente (Orange)
4. Yorba Linda (Orange)
3. San Marino (Los Angeles)
2. Newport Beach (Orange)
1. Canyon Lake (Riverside)
Liberal Places
10. San Francisco
9. Compton (Los Angeles)
8. San Pablo (CoCo)
7. Fairfax (Marin)
6. Richmond (Contra Costa)
5. Albany (Alameda)
4. Inglewood (Los Angeles)
3. Emeryville (Alameda)
2. Oakland (Alameda)
1. Berkeley (Alameda)
(Source: Sacramento Bee)

The only places in northern CA that tend to be conservative are the sparsely populated far northern counties.
democrat =/= liberal.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 19,052 times
Quote:
and if you took the time to look it up, there really aren't many sites that actually list each state or I can't find them, but the ones I found only listed a couple of states with 80% or more of the whites voting for Romney. As well as a few that listed stats where it was close to even...I didn't see any state with 90% or more. As long as you think you need to explain this, could you tell us where you are seeing 80 or 90% of the white population in states that voted for Romney. As I said, I did find a couple states, that was all.
This is the state by state White vote for Obama in 2008, and we all know it fell heavily in 2012

This is a Liberal website, but compare it to 2008's official numbers above and their chart makes sense. Exclude Florida and I guestimate a 75% Southern White vote for Romney, and that includes all the Northern transplants in VA, NC, GA and TX. I'm actually surprised that in both years Georgia's whites were more conservative than South Carolinians and Texas.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...-2012-by-state

MS 0.1
LA 0.105
AL 0.133
GA 0.145
OK 0.148
SC 0.197
AR 0.218
TX 0.234
TN 0.243
AK 0.245
NC 0.308
KY 0.311
WV 0.317
VA 0.344
FL 0.374

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
and if you took the time to look it up, there really aren't many sites that actually list each state or I can't find them, but the ones I found only listed a couple of states with 80% or more of the whites voting for Romney. As well as a few that listed stats where it was close to even...I didn't see any state with 90% or more. As long as you think you need to explain this, could you tell us where you are seeing 80 or 90% of the white population in states that voted for Romney. As I said, I did find a couple states, that was all.
The sites TOS won't allow me to say what I want. I will just say that you don't understand what's said to you very well.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Nice map P Dog...

Looks like the mason-dixon line still clearly persists...

Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 AM

143 posts, read 300,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pears View Post
I find it funny that there are people that actually believe that southern CA is more liberal than northern CA. Northern CA is far more liberal. The most liberal cities in CA are mainly in Northern CA. All the conservative cities are only found in southern CA, and all but two of the most liberal cities are found in northern CA.

Conservative Places
10. Temecula (Riverside)
9. Palos Verdes Estates (Los Angeles)
8. Ridgecrest (Kern)
7. Coronado (San Diego)
6. Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange)
5. San Clemente (Orange)
4. Yorba Linda (Orange)
3. San Marino (Los Angeles)
2. Newport Beach (Orange)
1. Canyon Lake (Riverside)
Liberal Places
10. San Francisco
9. Compton (Los Angeles)
8. San Pablo (CoCo)
7. Fairfax (Marin)
6. Richmond (Contra Costa)
5. Albany (Alameda)
4. Inglewood (Los Angeles)
3. Emeryville (Alameda)
2. Oakland (Alameda)
1. Berkeley (Alameda)
(Source: Sacramento Bee)

The only places in northern CA that tend to be conservative are the sparsely populated far northern counties.
Exactly.. this thread is initially misleading because Northern California is NOT Liberal! Not anything from Citrus Heights and beyond into Placer County anyhow. East Sac isn't even that liberal really compared to other places in the USA I seen. Land Park maybe. Davis is I know for sure so if that is the NorCal you are referring to and toward SF then yes you might be onto something. Vacaville is probably more liberal than Auburn/Placerville as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California