Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill23 View Post
The Chula Vista area is literally broken into two parts: East and West. The East area (more commonly known as Eastlake/Otay) is where you want to live. It is suburbia, with a strong family community, incredible schools (ranking 9-10). It is a newer area and is incredibly affordable. You can buys a 2500sf, 5 bedroom home with a back yard for 525k. Your kids can ride their bikes or walk to school, and to shopping centers. It has a very low crime rate.
I have lived in San Diego for 11 years, and my wife was born and raised here. We are starting a family and literally looked EVERYWHERE in San Diego for the perfect, affordable place to raise kids. We bought in Eastlake Chula Vista and move into our new home in 2 weeks.
You can also look at Poway, but it is extremely expensive and be an extremely long commute. Honestly...East Chula Vista is a hidden gem in San Diego. Home prices in that area have gone up 19% in the past year, and the average home in the area is selling within 3 days of listing.
It's not my cup of tea but you're right about price. Here's a 5 bed, 4 bath, ~3,400 sq ft for $420,000. It's a foreclosure as most of Eastlake seems to be in foreclosure.

MLS # 120045079 - 4757 Sea Coral Dr, San Diego CA, 92154 | Homes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInNewZealand View Post
. We have been doing heaps of research and trying to find somewhere perfect for us, we've narrowed it down to a few. We've looked into Sacramento and the neighbourhoods Folsom, Granite Bay, Rocklin, Roseville, El Doraldo Hills. ?

These areas near Sacramento are all very nice and in your price range. Teen activities - sports, biking, rowing, camping, summertime at Folsom Lake, winter skiing at Tahoe, and the list goes on.

I would be happy to answer if you have any more specific questions about this area.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM

31 posts, read 38,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Personally, I'd avoid Eastlake (the commute is to long to work areas and I find it too close to the border) but it's perfectly safe, the houses are new, and it is cheaper because the schools are only average and the population is largely minority (well, about half white and half hispanic). Poway, Scripps Ranch, and Rancho Bernardo (as well as some parts of Rancho Penasquitos) would all fit the bill for what you're looking for. Carmel Mountain Ranch would be a great option but since it is closer to the beach the prices are a bit higher.

For cheaper but still safe and good check out the newer parts of Santee and even Fletcher Hills.

This would be an example of a listing in Scripps Ranch: MLS # 130007898 - San Diego CA, 92131 | Homes.com

Rancho Bernardo: Foreclosure #66350904, San Diego CA, 92128 | Homes.com

Santee: Residence 3 Next Gen (Model Home #1528913) | Homes.com

If you really look in places like Santee then you could probably find a 5 bedroom 3-4 bath in the $400,000-$450,000 range though it will be an older house built in the late 70's to early 80's. There have been some great deals out there in the last 1-3 years buying foreclosures at auction. Two years ago my folks picked up a 4 bedroom 3.5 bath built in 1989 on .3 acres for $459,000. It previously had sold in 2004 for ~$700,000 so it was a great deal on a huge house with a three car garage and multiple fireplaces. You can still find them but you have to act quick because they get snapped up quick.

My best advice is to not buy immediately and instead to move out here, rent a place for a few months, really get to know the different neighborhoods so you're sure which one is right for you and then wait for your perfect dream house to hit the market. Time is on your side right now as the market is just not going any where fast.
We like the look of Eastlake, those negatives are not really big factors for us. 20mins or so commute time is great fine! What's wrong with being close to the border?

But yes I think that is very good advice! We're hoping to rent first, we have dogs though which may make it a little harder. Rancho Bernardo and Scripps Ranch look a little out of our price range, Santee looks nice though and we are definitely looking into Poway! Thanks

Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Best advice so far.
Santee and some parts of Lakeside has some great deals going on right now!
Don't count out San Carlos or La Mesa either
Definitely won't be counting Santee or San Carlos out! Really like the look of San Carlos actually, thankyou!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's not my cup of tea but you're right about price. Here's a 5 bed, 4 bath, ~3,400 sq ft for $420,000. It's a foreclosure as most of Eastlake seems to be in foreclosure.

MLS # 120045079 - 4757 Sea Coral Dr, San Diego CA, 92154 | Homes.com
Wow, that looks like a very beautiful house for the price!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
These areas near Sacramento are all very nice and in your price range. Teen activities - sports, biking, rowing, camping, summertime at Folsom Lake, winter skiing at Tahoe, and the list goes on.

I would be happy to answer if you have any more specific questions about this area.
What is there to do for the teenagers besides sport? We've heard a lot about those areas being pretty boring :/

Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
A friend recently purchased a 5 bedroom home in Murrieta (near Temecula) in a nice area for approximately $230,000. It was originally for sale at over $500K before the market crashed.

Also check out Beach areas such as La Jolla (including the Bird Rock area), Del Mar, Pacific Beach, Point Loma, Ocean Beach, and areas close to Downtown San Diego such as Mission Hills. You may be priced out of some of these area such as La Jolla and Del Mar but with the market being down you just might find a deal. In other words don't eliminate anything due to prices solely.
What can you tell us about Murrieta? Things for the kids to do?

Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInNewZealand View Post
What is there to do for the teenagers besides sport? We've heard a lot about those areas being pretty boring :/

I guess the more important question is what do your teenagers want to do? Suburbs are not as "exciting" as the city, but much of what is so exciting about the city is not available to teenagers. Some teens will be bored wherever they are, some will have fun wherever they are.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,602 times
I see you said you are moving for business - just wondering if you have a visa?

Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I guess the more important question is what do your teenagers want to do? Suburbs are not as "exciting" as the city, but much of what is so exciting about the city is not available to teenagers. Some teens will be bored wherever they are, some will have fun wherever they are.
Okay right so I guess I'm just wondering if Sacramento is an "exciting" city for teenagers aged 16-19, is there a good nightlife etc? Places to hang out with friends and socialize for the two slightly younger children? What do teenagers in the area do for fun? What are the malls like? Places like movie theaters are bowling alleys etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California