Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:27 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The doc will not report her. She won't get in trouble this time. It's still incredibly stupid to give people your prescription meds to treat their ailments. If you share a non-scheduled med, you still could have legal liability. If the person had a bad side effect, there is a remote possibility that your friend could be charged with practicing medicine without a license, which can carry jail time. Even then, I doubt those cases happen often for sharing one pill. But why risk hurting someone if you don't know what you are doing. Unless your friend got a thorough allergy history and has a pharmacology background to know if the medication is structurally related to any that the recipient might have allergies to, she could be putting them at risk. Again, this is unlikely to happen, but why risk it. Just tell the person to see a doctor.
I SO covered this. She said she is never doing this again, and luckily the person was seen by her doctor today and NONE of the things the doctor found could have been attributed to the one pill she gave her. Luckily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:27 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
The drug bottle does not have the "you are not able to share this with others due to Federal Law" warning. (or whatever the wording actually is, for obvious reasons, the bottle is not with me) She also has Vicodin. That bottle (filled at the same pharmacy and at the same time as the other) has the Federal Law warning...do you think that would satisfy your statement about "documentation states it is not scheduled"?
i would get hold of a sheet for the drug. You have to sweat ingredients or specific CA classification.

I would think it would be up on the internet. Your example Tramadol has a specific that it is not classified...though if you read the background stuff it appears it should have been.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Sometimes some places. If it is not scheduled I do not believe possession is illegal in CA. But I would be very careful that its documentation states it is not scheduled.
Also, my friend has a prescription, so she legally has it. If possession is also legal in CA, does that mean she will not have legal consequences for giving the pill to the coworker as there was no law violated when the coworker has the pill?

Just trying to figure this out as I yelled at her without knowing the actual laws she could be in trouble with,,,

Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
i would get hold of a sheet for the drug. You have to sweat ingredients or specific CA classification.

I would think it would be up on the internet. Your example Tramadol has a specific that it is not classified...though if you read the background stuff it appears it should have been.
Not that clear on Tramadol. I went no farther than using it as an example. Where did you find the sheet for Tramadol that you are speaking of? I am guessing the info for the actual drug would be in the same place...

Also, with the sheet on the drug showing that it is not CA or Federally classified, she should be in the clear for sharing the drug, correct?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:39 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
Quote:
I SO covered this. She said she is never doing this again, and luckily the person was seen by her doctor today and NONE of the things the doctor found could have been attributed to the one pill she gave her. Luckily.
Rereading my post- I sounded really soapboxy. I guess the point was, legal liability if the person who took the med didn't have problem is essentially nil, but it's still a bad idea to give a med to someone as you might accidently harm them (possibly seriously) instead of helping them if you don't know their allergies, medical history, etc. Some people don't think about that, so I'm glad you pointed it out to her.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Rereading my post- I sounded really soapboxy. I guess the point was, legal liability if the person who took the med didn't have problem is essentially nil, but it's still a bad idea to give a med to someone as you might accidently harm them (possibly seriously) instead of helping them if you don't know their allergies, medical history, etc. Some people don't think about that, so I'm glad you pointed it out to her.
I so did. Made her cry and hang up on me. Which is why I am on here trying to figure it out...I feel bad yelling at her and leaving it there...so I want to be able to tell her this is why it is bad and why you are lucky it is an unscheduled drug and to not do it again.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Not that clear on Tramadol. I went no farther than using it as an example. Where did you find the sheet for Tramadol that you are speaking of? I am guessing the info for the actual drug would be in the same place...

Also, with the sheet on the drug showing that it is not CA or Federally classified, she should be in the clear for sharing the drug, correct?
Here for Tramadol..

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...o/tramadol.pdf

Giving another person a drug creates a crime only on a scheduled drug. And possession of a non-scheduled drug is not a crime even if you don't have a prescription in CA. Note this is not true in all states.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Here for Tramadol..

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...o/tramadol.pdf

Giving another person a drug creates a crime only on a scheduled drug. And possession of a non-scheduled drug is not a crime even if you don't have a prescription in CA. Note this is not true in all states.
Thanks. Looks like that link will take me to the main drug info page. Haven't looked yet, but I am sure the drug she shared will be on there. And it is the sheet like this, from the DEA, that you think she should have in order to prove that it was not controlled?

So, my friend did not give the coworker a scheduled drug, so in essence it was the same as giving her an Advil? And the coworker, even though she took it, is in no trouble because there is no CA law against possession of a non-scheduled/controlled drug? Am I reading that correctly?

Also, I will mention to her that she is lucky she is in CA.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
She is worried that she gave the coworker a prescription drug and the coworker told her doctor this...is afraid she could get into trouble. Was not really aware that she could get into trouble until I commented that I could not believe she did it. So, now she is worried she can get in trouble. I said it is one pill and not a controlled substance in CA or via Federal Law....

I'm sure she is safe if she only shared one pill.... Are you trying to write a mystery novel or just be dramatic.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
If its a prescription medication.. scheduled narco or not.. its covered under the Business and Professions code or Health and Safety code

You cannot legally give, take, or receive, or use another persons med.. end of story

As to whether this would ever be discovered... highly doubtful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California