Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Schools are strapped for cash (with kids out peddling stuff door-to-door to fund programs, no drivers training in high school, decreased class time and larger class size), academics don't seem to be as good, respect for the staff is pretty low....
and don't forget the.... BRING THESE SUPPLIES TO CLASS list......

Yet.... "Education spending makes up more than half of the CA General Fund budget"
Source: California Department of Finance, “Cha
rt C: General Fund, Program Distribution."

I graduated in 74. Glad I don't have kids in public school today.

The 'no tolerance' episodes likely give students grand impressions of fairness, authority, law enforcement, etc. It's unfortunate.

And then there's CA K-12 'multi-sex' restrooms (January 1, 2014).....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
I am a product of public schools. My progeny are a product of public schools. I declined to enroll in Mensa (Never join an organization that would consider you as a member). My daughter is a graduate of the U of Nottingham and a post grad student at the U of Washington. My son qualified for a full academic scholarship at Cal.

I may be an idiot (that's just for those that think a public education is worthless) but I regard highly the system by which I was "educated". Ignorance is bad? Try the alternative.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:01 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Since when are kids buying homes? And maybe the parents can't afford a home in a good school district. BTW, magnet schools have very long waiting lists.
The fault is not because the parents did not get the child into a school with a particular rating.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 AM

26,736 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
The fault is not because the parents did not get the child into a school with a particular rating.
What do you mean by this statement?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,372 times
Default Nice observations and ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
When I was in school in the 70's & 80's, I often heard my mom say something about how much more she had to do in school and how much more advanced the lessons were for the grade I was in.
Now my youngest is a senior in HS and I am shocked as the the 'requirements' for graduation. I had to learn algebra and geometry, a total of 3 years of math in HS. My daughter only needs two years, and those two years are any two math classes, no geometry required and if a student struggles with math, they are put into a class for their skill-level.
I was required a psychology class, my daughter is not.

A few years after I graduated, I went to a community college for a couple semesters(80's). I had a lot of homework and study to get through classes. Being on my own and payin for everything required a full time job. Eventually I could not afford or have the time to do both, so I quit school.
Life is different for me now and so I returned to school. I was really surprised as to how little effort was required of me. I really was prepared for the 'workload' that my education was going to give me. But I found that is no the case. Where I had a paper due every 2 or three weeks, I have two papers due per semester. Way less work.

I have ideas about education reform that would totally change the way the system works. There would no longer be grades by age, yes grades as far as when was learned, but these 'scores' would not have the same significance they do now. After all, bad grades does not make a stupid person and we have all known that straight A kid who had absolutly no common sense.
Children would learn the basics through their natural interests and thier talents and strengths supported an encouraged.
I think too much pressure has been put on children to 'keep up' and not all children are mentally ready for some material. So when they struggle, it makes trying to learn harder. Then with little or no understanding they get passed on with a low, but passing grade.
As an example; a student can excel in math but struggle with spelling, they should not be held back for their weakness, but concentrate on the weakness and utilize the strengths. Let them advance with the things they grasp, let them run with it, the rest (weaknesses) will catch up enough if given the right kind of attention.
Great observations, experiences and ideas, OwlKaMyst! Would that CA could become a force in education and adapt this model.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
I went to private school until 4th grade, in the 70's. I tested 12 grade reading level in 4th grade private within 2 years I tested down to 8th grade in public. That's about what I have to say about my pre UC experience. The UC university exp. was good, if I had do it over again I may go Cal state. Better bang for the buck.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 PM

191 posts, read 311,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Even in Oroville in the mid 2000s two of my nieces were held hostage for several hours (along with the rest of their classmates and teacher) by a crazed student with a gun. It all ended with everyone safe, but nothing like that happened in the 1970s.
I'm an LP grad myself and can certainly second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California