Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in California has the WORST gang problem?
Bakersfield 0 0%
Fresno 4 5.26%
Los Angeles 31 40.79%
Merced 0 0%
Modesto 4 5.26%
Oakland 24 31.58%
Salinas 1 1.32%
Stockton 6 7.89%
Vallejo 1 1.32%
Visalia 0 0%
Other 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Gang members aren't the only people who commit crimes.
Yes, and their total disbelief is yet another example of how they apply their regional sensibilities to over here, and it quite frankly doesn't correlate with reality.

When I was going to college in Los Angeles and they heard that I was from Oakland, they immediately likened Oakland to Compton and then when I actually went to Compton, I was totally grossed out that such a horrid place(this was back in 92-93 btw) could be likened to the sophisticated and urbane areas of Oakland that I was accustomed to.

As an Oaklander, I felt way more at home in Westwood than Compton. Quite frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Discovery Channel lies about the number of gangs in Oakland | StreetGangs.Com

Did anyone read this article? It states that the Police in Oakland do not even contribute to the State wide crime statistics. Although the company that made the show may have gotten the numbers wrong, the article did say that Almeda county has closer to 10,000 known gang members. It said Oakland has about 25% of the people from Almeda County and chances are 25% of that 10,000 number would be at least a starting point for the number of gang members. Still since Oakland Police does not contribute to the known information I would bet that it is much higher. No one will know since the numbers are kept down by the city of Oakland's own Police department.
So basically the Discovery Channel completely LIED about Oakland having 10,000 gangmembers in order sensationalize their fake account of what Oakland is like.

Yes we know that.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sure, and LA is about that amount as well.

But LA has lots of areas that are far higher than $50,000, NO? Guess what? Oakland does too.

In fact, much of Oakland is quite idyllic and desirable, home to thousands of professionals and highly educated and affluent families.

And until Compton compares in that sense, it doesn't compare to Oakland, in the least.

But good luck.
But you are saying that 60 - 80% of the people of Oakland are making over $200,000 a year. You wrote that.

Oakland Gangs

“Gang Wars: Oakland” leaves locals perplexed, upset | Oakland North

The above article claims that Oakland probaby has 2,000 gang members

Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
So basically the Discovery Channel completely LIED about Oakland having 10,000 gangmembers in order sensationalize their fake account of what Oakland is like.

Yes we know that.
Yes and the Oakland Police lie about how few that you have. SO go figure.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Long Beach is exaggerated. I have been dining in areas near 3rd street parallel to Ocean which people claim is full of gangs. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I would agree with all the rest based on homicides alone. Doesn't get worse than some parts of LA, Oakland, and Newark. I'd throw some parts of Chicago in there too.
I don't know who told you that, it's north Long Beach that has always had the problem, where Snoop Dog, a Crip is from, which makes sense since NLB is close to Compton.
Crip Gangs in Long Beach, California | StreetGangs.Com

Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
But you are saying that 60 - 80% of the people of Oakland are making over $200,000 a year. You wrote that.
WRONG.

I said that Oakland has: huge swaths of town where 60-80%+ of adults have bachelor degrees or higher and average family incomes in the 200K to 300K range.

Which is accurate.

Quote:
Oakland Gangs

Okay, so 2,000 out of 400,000 total people in Oakland is still less than 12,000 for Ventura County which has 800,000 people. I feel better now that we've cleared that up.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,453 times
Quote:

Oakland Gangs

I can tell you for a fact, that Oakland has more than 2,000 gang members. Heck - drive down international you'll probably see a couple hundred JUST ON ONE STREET.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
I can tell you for a fact, that Oakland has more than 2,000 gang members. Heck - drive down international you'll probably see a couple hundred JUST ON ONE STREET.
Oh, and how do they look exactly?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
WRONG.

I said that Oakland has: huge swaths of town where 60-80%+ of adults have bachelor degrees or higher and average family incomes in the 200K to 300K range.

Which is accurate.

Okay, so 2,000 out of 400,000 total people in Oakland is still less than 12,000 for Ventura County which has 800,000 people. I feel better now that we've cleared that up.
Yea and many of those gang members in Ventura County are old. Take the Hells Angels that used to have a major opperation in the city of Ventura. The average age of those guys must be 50. They are aging. Many of the Mexican gang members in Colonia that are known gang members are also very old. You have guys that are in there 50's and 60's that are still considered part of the gang but due to the health issues of these people the threat has ended long ago.

As far as having huge swaths of town where people are making $200,000 and $300,000 a year, it may be so, but your numbers have to account for an average. That would mean that many of the people there are not making the average of $50,000 a year then, would it not?

You want to keep comparing your city of 400,000 to Compton which has 96,000 or so people. You are right, that you probably won't find many people making $200,000 a year in Compton. Ventura County though is a differant kind of place than Compton. You will find hige swaths of people making $200,000, $300,000, you also have people making $1,000,000 and more. A lot of people that you might see on TV live in Ventura County. Others in the industry that you don't see also live in Ventura County. In Oxnard alone we have an entire costline with people living in homes that are in the $5,000,000 and more range. In Thousand Oaks, Camarillo, and within the county we have people living in multi million dollar homes that are also making high 6 figure and 7 figure incomes.

Still it is nice to pick and choose cities to compare against. I bet that your example of picking Compton makes Oakland look grand. Good for the people of Oakland that they are making more money than those people in Compton, a place that is much safer on average than Oakland, but still they are doing much better anyway.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
Quote:
Discovery Channel lies about the number of gangs in Oakland | StreetGangs.Com

Did anyone read this article? It states that the Police in Oakland do not even contribute to the State wide crime statistics. Although the company that made the show may have gotten the numbers wrong, the article did say that Almeda county has closer to 10,000 known gang members. It said Oakland has about 25% of the people from Almeda County and chances are 25% of that 10,000 number would be at least a starting point for the number of gang members. Still since Oakland Police does not contribute to the known information I would bet that it is much higher. No one will know since the numbers are kept down by the city of Oakland's own Police department.
Interesting finding. If the Oakland PD doesn't care enough for reliable statistics, then the number could be much higher than is being claimed in this thread.

Based simply on the amount of violent crime in the city, I would agree it's a lot higher than people are claiming here. Oakland has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago for crying out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California