Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 PM

296 posts, read 625,741 times

Advertisements

Not that we weren't already aware of this:

California second least affordable state for renters, study says - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
No surprise! Thanks for posting!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Ever play Monopoly? Its simple supply and demand. This has been a fact for decades.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
This article bugs me. It says that someone making minimum wage can't afford a 2 bedroom apartment.

I say, duh.

It also says they need another member of the family to contribute to the income to afford a 2 bedroom apartment.

Again, I say, duh.

This is why we tell our kids to get a skill or an education.

I don't see this being a problem only for CA. I've also lived and rented and worked in Tennessee and Washington State. I was working at above minimum-wage jobs as a single mother, and in WA at one point, my daughter and I lived in a large studio/attick apartment (that was in Bellingham, WA). In TN my husband and I rented a 2 bedroom duplex, and we needed 2 incomes there, too (Nashville area).

Two bedroom apartments in areas where there are jobs will be priced out of range of people on minimum wage.

Duh!

Nothing personal OP, this is just another dumb news article. It's purpose was to stir people up into a frenzy about raising the minimum wage and building more affordable housing. And affordable housing = govt subsidies = taxes on people who make more money than minimum wage.

Why should people making minimum wage be entitled to a 2 bedroom apartment/house? On one minimum wage income?

Old 03-26-2014, 02:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Scanned the report. "Most affordable" states were Arkansas, Kentucky, and South Dakota.

Makes sense. I'd rather be one of the homeless dudes that reek of weed at the Santa Monica Pier than live in one of those states.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Scanned the report. "Most affordable" states were Arkansas, Kentucky, and South Dakota.

Makes sense. I'd rather be one of the homeless dudes that reek of weed at the Santa Monica Pier than live in one of those states.
As it is written: you get what you pay for. I've been to South Dakota and Kentucky. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

Now a simple fact. Sure rents are high in the Bay Area, Greater LA and San Diego, but that's only 3% of our fair State. Where I live (very desirable) a $1000 a month gets you a 3/2 house in a nice area.

And *no one* spends just 30% of their income on rent and utilities. May have been true in 1960. "61% of CA residents can't afford a 2bedroom apt"??? Pulleeze........my guess is that at least 61% of CA residents own their home. I have two words: Stupid Article.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 PM

528 posts, read 867,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This article bugs me. It says that someone making minimum wage can't afford a 2 bedroom apartment.

I say, duh.

It also says they need another member of the family to contribute to the income to afford a 2 bedroom apartment.

Again, I say, duh.

This is why we tell our kids to get a skill or an education.

I don't see this being a problem only for CA. I've also lived and rented and worked in Tennessee and Washington State. I was working at above minimum-wage jobs as a single mother, and in WA at one point, my daughter and I lived in a large studio/attick apartment (that was in Bellingham, WA). In TN my husband and I rented a 2 bedroom duplex, and we needed 2 incomes there, too (Nashville area).

Two bedroom apartments in areas where there are jobs will be priced out of range of people on minimum wage.

Duh!

Nothing personal OP, this is just another dumb news article. It's purpose was to stir people up into a frenzy about raising the minimum wage and building more affordable housing. And affordable housing = govt subsidies = taxes on people who make more money than minimum wage.

Why should people making minimum wage be entitled to a 2 bedroom apartment/house? On one minimum wage income?

This is extremely off putting and you endorse the fascism that America displays at its finest. Its like saying the poor can go to hell and I know I took it that way. Everyone is entitled to shelter and their own place. I don't give a damn If you're Barack Hussein Obongo or someone near homelessness. EVERYONE deserves some sort of shelter. And if not a 2 bedroom apartment, definitely a 1 bdrm should be afforded for someone on minimum wage. Some people have a harder time learning a skill.. I feel there should be a train to hire type of workforce where you get hired with no experience and you can learn as you go but theres no such economy anymore. The baby boomers took something good and flushed all those opportunities down the toilet for their kids imo.

I am also interested in perhaps a move to East TN one day. Its cheaper and has less traffic than CA and I don't want progressive politics dictating where I live frankly.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As it is written: you get what you pay for. I've been to South Dakota and Kentucky. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

Now a simple fact. Sure rents are high in the Bay Area, Greater LA and San Diego, but that's only 3% of our fair State. Where I live (very desirable) a $1000 a month gets you a 3/2 house in a nice area.

And *no one* spends just 30% of their income on rent and utilities. May have been true in 1960. "61% of CA residents can't afford a 2bedroom apt"??? Pulleeze........my guess is that at least 61% of CA residents own their home. I have two words: Stupid Article.
I agree with your points, but I spend less than 30% of my income on rent and utilities; and no, I don't have an above average income, either.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
This is extremely off putting and you endorse the fascism that America displays at its finest. Its like saying the poor can go to hell and I know I took it that way. Everyone is entitled to shelter and their own place. I don't give a damn If you're Barack Hussein Obongo or someone near homelessness. EVERYONE deserves some sort of shelter. And if not a 2 bedroom apartment, definitely a 1 bdrm should be afforded for someone on minimum wage. Some people have a harder time learning a skill.. I feel there should be a train to hire type of workforce where you get hired with no experience and you can learn as you go but theres no such economy anymore. The baby boomers took something good and flushed all those opportunities down the toilet for their kids imo.

I am also interested in perhaps a move to East TN one day. Its cheaper and has less traffic than CA and I don't want progressive politics dictating where I live frankly.
You rant about both fascism & progressive politics dictating things, yet you have an entitlement attitude.

Reality check: When you get large numbers of people who can not or will not learn to do for themselves, a dictator in some form (communist or fascist = different mask on the same face). That is why America has lost so many of its freedoms. Freedom isn't for wimps or people with entitlement attitudes.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You rant about both fascism & progressive politics dictating things, yet you have an entitlement attitude.

Reality check: When you get large numbers of people who can not or will not learn to do for themselves, a dictator in some form (communist or fascist = different mask on the same face). That is why America has lost so many of its freedoms. Freedom isn't for wimps or people with entitlement attitudes.
Agreed. Being entitled to a shelter is one thing. But being entitled to a two bedroom apartment on minimum wage is quite another. Even so California has section 8 housing which provides many low income families housing that would normally cost much more. Its a fine balance between giving something for nothing and helping those truly in need. The more liberal states tend to offer more social programs. You can't really have it both ways - complain about the liberals on the one hand but yet want more programs on the other (e.g. free training/education, lower rents, subsidies, benefits, etc...). In a free market you cannot get away from supply and demand... unless it becomes less free.

Arkansas, Kentucky, and South Dakota will be cheaper overall as the article points out. For some its worth the move to get the bigger place on minimum wage. While for others they would rather live in a studio apt or have roommates than move to those states. Based on population alone it's obvious most would chose the later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California