Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you like best?
LA 25 25.77%
San Francisco 25 25.77%
San Diego 25 25.77%
Sacramento 18 18.56%
Fresno 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Anyone who tells you oside is ghetto, likely has never walked around an actual ghetto.

It is gritty and there are a lot of low life thieves and stew bums, but ghetto is a huge stretch.
I have to be honest. Your description of the "lot of low life thieves and bums" sounds a tad ghetto...and believe me, I'm very well versed in what ghetto actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I have to be honest. Your description of the "lot of low life thieves and bums" sounds a tad ghetto...and believe me, I'm very well versed in what ghetto actually is.
Obviously you are not. Market street in sf has tons of low lifes and bums, but I would not call it a ghetto either. Consider yourself treated.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM

643 posts, read 917,631 times
1. SF
2. SD
3. Sacramento
4. LA
5. THE NO

Old 05-13-2014, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
My wifes Nephew and his Girlfriend graduated from Sacramento State a couple years ago. They loved it there. After graduating they moved back to Ventura County and are working for companies that have locations in Sacramento. They plan on transfering back to Sacramento because they can buy a home there. Even if they were to rent a place it would cut their rental cost in half. The best part is that their incomes would remain the same or go up.

I say that to illustrate a point. A lower cost of living can be found in many areas that are not on the coast. I prefer the coast and love living near the ocean. (Or at least a bike ride away) Still, when it comes to wanting a home, start a family, build a life, many times a llow cost of living is key to providing a happy life.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:11 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Personally I was thinking more of the gang members and areas with gang injunctions the more "ghetto" parts.

Gang Injunctions - San Diego County District Attorney

I think it's fair to say a lot of people would consider areas with gang injunctions a tad ghetto.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Obviously you are not. Market street in sf has tons of low lifes and bums, but I would not call it a ghetto either. Consider yourself treated.
So tons of criminals and homeless people don't make an area a tad ghetto? Ok. Cool. Either way, ghetto here in New Orleans is probably much different than ghetto in North County

Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
What about Long Beach?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My wifes Nephew and his Girlfriend graduated from Sacramento State a couple years ago. They loved it there. After graduating they moved back to Ventura County and are working for companies that have locations in Sacramento. They plan on transfering back to Sacramento because they can buy a home there. Even if they were to rent a place it would cut their rental cost in half. The best part is that their incomes would remain the same or go up.

I say that to illustrate a point. A lower cost of living can be found in many areas that are not on the coast. I prefer the coast and love living near the ocean. (Or at least a bike ride away) Still, when it comes to wanting a home, start a family, build a life, many times a llow cost of living is key to providing a happy life.
I think Sacramento is the most underrated city in our state, and I'm not saying this because I grew up there, it is the most affordable metro in a great location with proximity to amazing places. The city itself is growing with more young professionals and Bay Area transplants searching for a lower cost of living. 10-15 years ago Sac was the butt of jokes, now it has gotten cooler.

Last edited by pistola916; 05-13-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
What about Long Beach?
I wouldn't have a problem living in Long Beach at all. Why do you recommend it?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I think Sacramento is the most underrated city in our state, and its not because I grew up there, it is the most affordable metro in a great location with proximity to amazing places. The city itself is growing with more young professionals and Bay Area transplants searching for a lower cost of living. 10-15 years ago Sac was the butt of jokes, now it has gotten cooler.
I agree with this. I heavily researched the Sacramento area for a long and even convinced my business partner to move there. They're looking in Folsom. My concerns with the area are the micro-climates and levels of humidity there that may negatively affect my wife's skin condition(eczema). Also we enjoy beaches...a lot and beach life is best in SoCal

...or so I've heard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California