Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:45 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well let's move you to say Florida for a year or two and see how you do.....LOL. Doesn't sound like you have lived many places.

I agree if someone has lived in a different state for several years and they're still playing the "well this is how we did it" card, it can get old.

But as someone who has lived in 5 states I can tell you it takes time to adjust to a new place and when you see something done poorly in the new state that was done better in the old state, it is natural to comment.

It can take a year or so to adjust. People have left familiar surroundings, long time friends and family.

They have more time on their hands to notice differences.

You can't just move somewhere and in a month or so adjust to the new place, forgetting you lived somewhere else.

I see you're in the PNW. Well I lived in Oregon for a couple of years and while I found people to be well mannered in public and very courteous drivers, they were not welcoming to newcomers. Especially those from CA.

So when you move somewhere, than get the cold shoulder(it's well known about the Seattle and Portland "freeze" and it exists), it's very easy to pine for the place you left and question if you made a mistake.
Thank you for saying this, it's the hard, cold truth, as experienced by me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
But as someone who has lived in 5 states I can tell you it takes time to adjust to a new place and when you see something done poorly in the new state that was done better in the old state, it is natural to comment.
After living in nine states and three other countries (I get thrown out of places a lot ) I can tell you that it doesn't endear you to anyone native to where you end up and should be avoided. It's hardly a way to get along and gain acceptance in a new community and begs the question of why you left your former location in the first place if it was superior unless for work or family. Either way, still not a good idea.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:34 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Oh geez. It's an 8-track tape loop. Funny to come across one still now and again.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
After living in nine states and three other countries (I get thrown out of places a lot ) I can tell you that it doesn't endear you to anyone native to where you end up and should be avoided. It's hardly a way to get along and gain acceptance in a new community and begs the question of why you left your former location in the first place if it was superior unless for work or family. Either way, still not a good idea.

No, it isn't good to tell natives how much better your old state was. I agree.

As I said earlier people move for different reasons. It's not always by individual choice.

People also don't know what a place is really like to live in, until they move. Sometimes they go to a new state on vacation, think it is great, are treated great(as tourists), move there, and find it's not what they thought it would be.

And when you move somewhere new and know less people you have more time to think about things and compare.

The former Gov. of Oregon and had expression " come visit, just don't move here", now that was many years ago, however that sentiment still remains with a lot of natives.

I remember as a kid my parents were considering a new location when they were told by someone "I have lived here 20 yrs and am still considered an outsider by the locals". We didn't move.

Also it isn't a good idea to keep whining about a state you no longer live in either.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:

Also it isn't a good idea to keep whining about a state you no longer live in either.
Well how in the hell are we going to have C-D continue to exist without this dynamic? Especially the CA forum?!

Old 02-02-2015, 05:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Well how in the hell are we going to have C-D continue to exist without this dynamic? Especially the CA forum?!
Move to Texas and start all over again!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:07 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
New Yorkers and Texans can't shut up about their home state/city when traveling to other states.

Native Californians rarely talk about CA unless asked. CA don't brag.

Now transplant Californians who were born in middle America moved to Cali and then back to Iowa or whatever, they can't shut up about CA.

I'm very surprised at how cool, non braggarts Californians are even when their state is the most desired one to live in.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I allready know how great I have it in California. No need to rub it in. I kind of like traveling to the less blessed states and seeing how the remainder of the Nation gets by.

LOL

Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
CA: Great place to live.

Everywhere else: Nice place to visit.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:36 AM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I allready know how great I have it in California. No need to rub it in. I kind of like traveling to the less blessed states and seeing how the remainder of the Nation gets by.

LOL
Pardon me but isn't that comment showing a bit of (quiet) pomposity? j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California