Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:41 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times

Advertisements

I just read that Governor Brown signed the bill to direct DMV to automatically register everyone to vote.

I wonder if people realize that automatically makes everyone eligible for jury duty? I know a LOT of people who won't register to vote just to keep from getting called for jury duty.

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
I wasn't a registered voter for a brief period due to a move and I still got called for jury duty in my new local jurisdiction - at my new address, which was in a different county from my previous jurisdiction! I always thought that the voter rolls were related to jury duty eligibility but maybe not. So I wonder if they got my new info from the DMV address change? Maybe somebody here knows how that works.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Having a driver's license (or a DMV ID card) triggers jury duty.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:05 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
The Democrats did this to get more Democrat party voters to insure they stay in power foreaver. Their in power and can use that to do all kinds of things like this so they can continue to destroy this once great state. Calif. stands no chance.
They know that young people tend to vote Democrat, thank goodness they just don't care or are to lazy to vote.
They also know all the deadbeats tend to vote Democrat if they get off their lazy rear and vote.
Calif. is so screwed!

Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Oregon did it before California did.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Democrats did this to get more Democrat party voters to insure they stay in power foreaver. Their in power and can use that to do all kinds of things like this so they can continue to destroy this once great state. Calif. stands no chance.
They know that young people tend to vote Democrat, thank goodness they just don't care or are to lazy to vote.
They also know all the deadbeats tend to vote Democrat if they get off their lazy rear and vote.
Calif. is so screwed!
They aren't just registering democrats...I think the problem you have with it is that you prefer the 'new' way to register voters; require ID cards, then make them as hard to get as possible, limit polling places and cut hours that the polls are open disenfranchise as many likely democratic voters as you possibly can

Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They aren't just registering democrats...I think the problem you have with it is that you prefer the 'new' way to register voters; require ID cards, then make them as hard to get as possible, limit polling places and cut hours that the polls are open disenfranchise as many likely democratic voters as you possibly can
I saw a chart recently--I'll have to find it again. It shows everything in our typical life that you absolutely must show valid ID for, and everything you don't.

The "must show ID" list was really long, the "no ID needed" list only had 1 item--voting.

If the liberals were really concerned about all the poor people being disenfranchised from voting due to lack of ID, then why are they ok with requiring those same people to show ID for welfare and food stamps?

I used to work with two women who had always had drivers licenses, but had never registered to vote. After over 30 years, neither of them had EVER been called for jury duty. Coincidence?

Old 10-11-2015, 08:48 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Calif. is so screwed!
So more democrats drive? I don't understand your logic. Also, registering to vote is no guarantee that someone will vote. If people didn't give a crap before, they won't start to just because they have a slip of paper or get a postcard telling them where their polling station is.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I saw a chart recently--I'll have to find it again. It shows everything in our typical life that you absolutely must show valid ID for, and everything you don't. The "must show ID" list was really long, the "no ID needed" list only had 1 item--voting.If the liberals were really concerned about all the poor people being disenfranchised from voting due to lack of ID, then why are they ok with requiring those same people to show ID for welfare and food stamps? I used to work with two women who had always had drivers licenses, but had never registered to vote. After over 30 years, neither of them had EVER been called for jury duty. Coincidence?
There are other databases besides voter registrations used to select jurors, see section 197:
CA Codes (ccp:190-237)

At least in California you do not need a Photo ID for SNAP, TANF or Medi-caid benefits, but it sure is easier to apply if you have one. The application can be processed without one and the county agency will assist the applicant with obtaining a photo ID if they determine that one is required.http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/cdssweb/e.../SAWS2PLUS.pdf There are a fair number of homeless who are signed up for benefits without a Photo ID. And there are older people who don't have a photo ID. I have an Aunt who is 102, she does not have a photo ID, she has a birth certificate, and an expired passport but she has no state issued ID. She lives in San Francisco and does not drive, her bank does not require that she produce an ID so she basically has no need for one.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I actually don't think it will make that much difference. The people who are too lazy to register are the same folks who are too lazy to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California