Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 PM

133 posts, read 274,886 times

Advertisements

You do not want Oakhurst or Coarsegold, you want Clovis. Clovis has tons of bike trails and is less than an hour drive from several great hiking locations. There is no snow but you will see snow covered mountains to the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 939 times
I'm from minnesota and thinking about moving to eureka ca. I'm a female 55 divorced need a new life. What does anyone think? Minnesota is beautiful?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM

38 posts, read 96,306 times
Thanks for all the great input guys! Simi Valley looks to be a touch out of reach for us. Oakhurst and Mariposa county looks absolutely beautiful but is a bit to rural for us. California City looks a bit to AZ to me. I really like the looks of Clovis it does have some great schools, some brand new construction beautiful nicely sized homes within my price range as well. I have always heard that Fresno and Bakersfield are more reasonably priced areas to live in however they have bad air quality issues, crime and an all around unappealing appearance. The pictures I have come across on Clovis are very nice looking. Are there any people that actually live in or near these areas that have any good first hand info they Can give?

We actually went out and visited the Roseville area in east Sacramento. The city itself is nice but it felt like just another Chicago suburb and the are was very flat with not much scenery. We took a day trip over to napa, sonoma and san fran and that was more the scenery we were enjoying.

And yes Mbell75 it is scary to think that I am escaping to cali to enjoy tax relief..lol For comparative purposes for you all. I have a 11 yr old house worth maybe 200k 1600 sq foot, 3 bed 2.2 bath, on a 8200sq foot lot. My real estate taxes are 6400 a yr. We have high state taxes (5%), local sales tax where I live is 7% however it varies from county to county and city to city up to 10%.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbiking View Post
I'm from minnesota and thinking about moving to eureka ca. I'm a female 55 divorced need a new life. What does anyone think? Minnesota is beautiful?
Please help w/current Eureka/Arcata info re:schools, neighborhood, etc.
Not quite paradise ... (Eureka area)
More Eureka CA Questions: Cable, Internet, Utilities, Parks, etc
Questions About Eureka Neighborhoods
Eureka - Samoa Peninsula Questions

Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Chicagoland View Post
I have a 11 yr old house worth maybe 200k 1600 sq foot, 3 bed 2.2 bath, on a 8200sq foot lot. My real estate taxes are 6400 a yr. We have high state taxes (5%), local sales tax where I live is 7% however it varies from county to county and city to city up to 10%.
If you can pay that much, maybe you can afford to up your home buying price

Tip: don't use the term "Cali."
Referring to California as "Cali"

Old 07-20-2014, 04:11 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
Quote:
I really like the looks of Clovis it does have some great schools, some brand new construction beautiful nicely sized homes within my price range as well. I have always heard that Fresno and Bakersfield are more reasonably priced areas to live in however they have bad air quality issues, crime and an all around unappealing appearance. The pictures I have come across on Clovis are very nice looking. Are there any people that actually live in or near these areas that have any good first hand info they Can give?
Clovis could be a good option. There are lots of attractive areas and neighborhoods in Clovis and in Northeast Fresno. Air quality is bad in the area. Crime can be bad in some parts of both Clovis and Fresno, but there are lots of areas that are very safe as well. There is a huge Kaiser Hospital in Fresno and various Kaiser offices in both Fresno and in Clovis. There are a lot of other medical employers in the area, too, like the Community Hospital system and Saint Agnes Medical Center. Clovis Unified (which covers Clovis and parts of Northeast Fresno) is a good school district. It's a family-friendly area for sure. The northeast part of Clovis is near some nice rolling foothills (you might look into Harlan Ranch to see what's available there) and the northeast part of Fresno is also near the foothills, the San Joaquin River, and Millerton Lake (look into Copper River Ranch (newer development) and Woodward Lake (older development) to get a feel for this part of town).

Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the great input guys! Simi Valley looks to be a touch out of reach for us. Oakhurst and Mariposa county looks absolutely beautiful but is a bit to rural for us. California City looks a bit to AZ to me. I really like the looks of Clovis it does have some great schools, some brand new construction beautiful nicely sized homes within my price range as well. I have always heard that Fresno and Bakersfield are more reasonably priced areas to live in however they have bad air quality issues, crime and an all around unappealing appearance. The pictures I have come across on Clovis are very nice looking. Are there any people that actually live in or near these areas that have any good first hand info they Can give?

We actually went out and visited the Roseville area in east Sacramento. The city itself is nice but it felt like just another Chicago suburb and the are was very flat with not much scenery. We took a day trip over to napa, sonoma and san fran and that was more the scenery we were enjoying.

And yes Mbell75 it is scary to think that I am escaping to cali to enjoy tax relief..lol For comparative purposes for you all. I have a 11 yr old house worth maybe 200k 1600 sq foot, 3 bed 2.2 bath, on a 8200sq foot lot. My real estate taxes are 6400 a yr. We have high state taxes (5%), local sales tax where I live is 7% however it varies from county to county and city to city up to 10%.
You should seriously consider Salt Lake City. Price range you are looking for, big enough city but not too big, all 4 seasons but much less snow than Chicago, much cheaper rent and taxes than CA. Not to mention its got that great air quality you are after and schools seem to be good. Don't think Ive ever seen such a clean and beautiful city. Look in the Bountiful area.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:01 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,917 times
Tehachapi would work. Commute to Bakersfield for Kaiser.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM

38 posts, read 96,306 times
Adriatica thank you for the info! I will look into all those areas as well. Its basically going to come down to which areas are currently hiring for an ophthalmic tech for my wifes employment. I will try to get something after we pin point an area down.

Salt lake city was a brief stop on my looking for a new home expeidition, however it snows more there than Chicago and is just as cold. I am seeking sunshine for year round activities and no more snow to deal with, and comfortable humidity levels. When narrowing that all down CA is the only one that fits the bill. I was looking heavily into Portland, Eugene ares in OR but they average 260 cloudy days a year which I think will be just too gloomy. That is how Chicago is from Nov-March, cloudy, dreary, cold and snowy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California