Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:16 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times

Advertisements

I could go on much more, Loveboating, because I was raised on a farm as well, I've lived in a "rural" community for 35+ years, but there's no point in discussing things with those that know everything. The best thing to do with those that know everything and also choose to yell at people by typing in all caps, is to let them go. People like you, who have a need to yell at people, stereotype people, should remain on forums like this. You're the type that brings all discussions to an end because your voice is the only one important, and your experiences are so much more wiser and more profound than anyone else. Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 11:57 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
You are right, Donna7! I have got the knowledge, wisdom and experience to know exactly what I'm talking about. Being "open-minded" is a Southern California thing and that is one of the reasons I got the heck out of there. If I and my wife choose not to be that "open-minded", isn't that our choice. When I see a kid on a tractor working a field and his has half of his body pierced and tattoos on his neck/back, then I will have to accept the fact that that is the way it is today.......but I don't see that. I have gone to plenty of County/State Fairs/Rodeo's and Horse Shows......just don't see that look in kids. What do I see, baseball caps, cowboy hats, Wrangler jeans and boots.
I was not raised to be "open-minded" (to accept everything/anything) and I will always be that way.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM

201 posts, read 860,876 times
Why does a kid who has body piercings and tattoos on a tractor bother people so much? As long as he's not doing you any physical harm, minding his own business, what difference does it make to you or me, or anyone? Those body piercings and tattoos may or may not even reflect anything but a teen/growing up thing. Every generation has their way of expressing themselves. Last time I checked, the constitution still guaranteed freedom of expression without punishment. And thank goodness we have that right or no one can ever be writing on this bulletin board let alone have body piercings.

You have "open minded" confused with "acceptance". And NO, being "open minded" is NOT a Southern CA thing or a NorCal thing or a Colorado or New York or Bronx or Texas thing. Acceptance is part of respect of others. You don't have to agree with anything everyone says or does but part of living in a diverse country (and yes, the US is a diverse country, look at the country's demographics) is to accept and respect that others have their rights to express themselves.

"Baseball caps, cowboy hats, Wrangler jeans and boots" are just stereotypes of what your image is for kids at county/state fairs/rodeos should wear. There are no laws requiring that. It is not at all wrong to have mental images of how things should be. We ALL have our mental images for it reflects our culture, personal upbringing, etc. That's your civil right. But it is also someone else's civil right to be able to wear purple hair, nose studs to the same county/state fairs/rodeos. Acceptance of difference isn't a modern day thing...it's something the forefathers of the constitution wanted for this country or they'd never have written in such rights guaranteed by the constitution. It is because of "difference" that is why the US is such a dynamic country for all the pros and cons that dynamism brings. I would rather that we have dynamism and the problems that come with that than to have everyone look act/behave/look the same. How boring would life be if everyone were the same. Predictable and devastatingly mundane. The First Amendment of the US Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. Therefore being different, accepting and respecting of others and the concept of "live and let live" is an American value. Think about that long and hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You are right, Donna7! I have got the knowledge, wisdom and experience to know exactly what I'm talking about. Being "open-minded" is a Southern California thing and that is one of the reasons I got the heck out of there. If I and my wife choose not to be that "open-minded", isn't that our choice. When I see a kid on a tractor working a field and his has half of his body pierced and tattoos on his neck/back, then I will have to accept the fact that that is the way it is today.......but I don't see that. I have gone to plenty of County/State Fairs/Rodeo's and Horse Shows......just don't see that look in kids. What do I see, baseball caps, cowboy hats, Wrangler jeans and boots.
I was not raised to be "open-minded" (to accept everything/anything) and I will always be that way.

Last edited by speedoflight; 11-01-2006 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-01-2006, 12:32 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
I think rural areas (not farms) have always been attractive to the criminal element because people aren't scrutinized as much in those places.

Now that sex offenders are being chased out of cities, I wonder how many will end up in rural areas?

Also, I've been reading more and more about gangs moving into rural areas. The New York Times recently ran a story about gang activity in Dodge City, Kansas.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Loveboating, I do not wish to deny your your beliefs or your desire to be anything or anyone besides yourself. Honestly, wherever you and your wife feel is your "calling" to live, I respect that. I feel the same way about myself and my family.

I have to say that I also agree with the other posters about things not being the way that they seem on the outside; there is a lot more crime and other things happening in the squeaky-clean suburbs and rural America than one would be led to believe.

Still, whatever anyone chooses to believe (or live), I respect that.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:02 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
Actually, for me, the cost of housing is not the main reason. I'm not going to lie, yes-it is one of the reasons. The weather and a small town atmosphere in which to continue trying to raise my kids with some sense of values, pride, etc is more important to me. I can't really explain other than to say it's something inside. I need to follow my heart. Unfortunately, my heart no longer feels much for this place so it's time to move on.
Hi Saphyre, I feel your pain. Trying to get a simple and non-political answer to your question seems impossible,except from me. I too am from California and we are moving to New England next summer when my son graduates 8th grade. I so so tired of all the negative posts regarding California..it's almost become a pastime. We lived in Lexington,Ma. two years ago and loved it but missed family so we moved back here. Realized that we don't see family enought to justify living here and paying the price for it when we can get more for our money in Ma. pay 5%sales tax, income tax is I believe 5 1/2%,clothing has no sales tax and has four seasons, beautiful architecture,history,scenery,great transportation system and schools where they spend about 5 to $8k more per student than Ca. I could go on and on. We are moving to a city close enough to go to Boston with ease and without the car yet has enough villages within to have a small town feel. The schools are excellent and the housing more affordable than California. Of course you could find cheaper housing in other states,cities but what are you giving up to live there. Since we are comparing Ca. prices to Ma. it is less to live hear while offering one of the best cities in the country and no earthquakes! Oh, the town is Newton.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:25 PM

speedoflight: You'd better check the PRCA Rules/Regulations Book (Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc. in Colorado Springs, CO). There is a "clothing" rule, and it says: no contestant can wear a baseball cap during a rodeo performance (has to be a cowboy hat), no short-sleeve shirts or t-shirts are allowed in the arena during a performance (long sleeve only) and no tennis shoes (boots only). You don't follow this "dress code", you don't compete...period. And, if you do go in the arena during a rodeo performance with the proper (Rule Book) attire on, a competitor can be fined. There was one rodeo contestant,a few years ago, that had an eye-brow ring, his ears pierced and his tongue pierced and any rodeo he went to that was on ESPN, the announcers would make comments about how he looked. He finally won a World Championship and quit rodeo. A lot of the old timers in rodeo were glad to see him leave.
I spent close to 15 years in Pro Rodeo, so please don't tell me about the sport and how it is run.
The same type of rules go for Junior, High School and Collegiate rodeo.
One thing that everyone on this Forum should remember, don't say things about farming/ranching people and the lifestyle, the military or rodeo.....I know a LOT MORE than most of the people on this Forum do.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:28 PM

speedoflight: You'd better check the PRCA Rules/Regulations Book (Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc. in Colorado Springs, CO). There is a "clothing" rule, and it says: no contestant can wear a baseball cap during a rodeo performance (has to be a cowboy hat), no short-sleeve shirts or t-shirts are allowed in the arena during a performance (long sleeve only) and no tennis shoes (boots only). You don't follow this "dress code", you don't compete...period. And, if you do go in the arena during a rodeo performance with the proper (Rule Book) attire on, a competitor can be fined. There was one rodeo contestant,a few years ago, that had an eye-brow ring, his ears pierced and his tongue pierced and any rodeo he went to that was on ESPN, the announcers would make comments about how he looked. He finally won a World Championship and quit rodeo. A lot of the old timers in rodeo were glad to see him leave.
I spent close to 15 years in Pro Rodeo, so please don't tell me about the sport and how it is run.
One thing that everyone on this Forum should remember, don't say things about farming/ranching people and the lifestyle, the military or rodeo.....I know a LOT MORE than most of the people on this Forum do.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:44 PM

201 posts, read 860,876 times
Sorry don't mean to be antagonistic or hostile but...ROFL...you really miss the whole basis of "acceptance", "respect", what I am trying to say to you and instead of you're going into the details of the PRCA. Flew right over your head. Never mind, dude. Go do what you want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

Old 11-01-2006, 02:45 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times
Quote:
Sounds as though you are clear about what you value and following rules and decoram and this is a good thing. Not enough people in this day and age have a back bone or even an ounce of class and sense/respect for tradition. You're straight up Loveboating and I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California