Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well simply saying "it is what it is" ain't no help either. So unless we start coming up with better opportunities and incentives for these struggling counties in an increasingly knowledge-based global economy, then 'duh', we all better get used to subsidizing 'em with more welfare and social services via our tax dollars (BTW, of which Redding and Shasta County already receives more than its share).

AP Economic Stress Test: Measuring Financial Strain Across the U.S. by County
Although an interesting site and information, mateo, the data you've provided is from 2011. Do you have anything more current? Education has been suffering for decades but it would be nice to see whether there has been any improvement since that report or if things have indeed gotten worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Dunno, is your Google broke (lol)?

Though I suspect it probably follows a growing pattern similar to the rest of the country, and even much of the western world. Namely the increasing link between rising income inequality and low education, meaning the poor folks are basically getting stuck in a low skills/low achievement/low income rut from the get-go.

Education Week: Growing Income Inequality Threatens American Education

Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
LOL mateo. I could have googled the info but I'm not really interested. I was trying to be polite in asking if you had more current info. What I could have said is if you're going make statements about a subject and provide information to back it up, make sure the info is current. See? The way I asked originally was a little nicer than the alternative.

I do agree, though. The education system in California isn't as good as it once was but I'm not so sure it has anything to do with $$.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Do you really expect such a drastic change in educational outcomes in 3 years (lol)? And BTW, in case you're unfamiliar with forum protocol (and courtesy), it's always incumbent on the one challenging the data to come up with competing facts and data, certainly instead of just complaining about it. Of course this would require first removing that huge chip on the shoulder (BTW, yet another important 'cultural' reason why these kinda places always get "left behind" whenever it comes to "edu-macation"… dang those "elites")!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,112 times
Interesting how much this debate parallels the same rural Red state/urban Blue state arguments on a national level (even including the same sense of aggrieved "victimhood" on the part of the "net-payees"…lol)!

Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
¿Como?

Seriously, in heavily agricultural areas of California its not surprising that most people won't have any sort of post-high school education.
But here's the catch with the "it's an agricultural community" explanation. Very few....and I mean very few people in the cities of Fresno, Bakersfield and Visalia work in agriculture. We are talking about cities here, not rural towns like Arvin, Orange Cove and Firebaugh.

As for the explanation of the cause of the problem, it is local economics (no high tech, lots of low wage jobs), local culture and our politician's attitude toward free education.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:44 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
But here's the catch with the "it's an agricultural community" explanation. Very few....and I mean very few people in the cities of Fresno, Bakersfield and Visalia work in agriculture. We are talking about cities here, not rural towns like Arvin, Orange Cove and Firebaugh.

As for the explanation of the cause of the problem, it is local economics (no high tech, lots of low wage jobs), local culture and our politician's attitude toward free education.
In addition, I think if you would ask most 'hard working' migrants what they want for their children it is something a hell of a lot more than the current status quo. So to say that 'it simply it what it is' doesn't begin to address real problems these cities face nor the economic ripple effect. Not everyone works in the fields, I agree. So where does that leave the rest of them after high school? I doubt these families are happy with sub-standard educational systems. I think most, if given the opportunity, would rather learn a valuable skill rather than live off of a poverty level retail job or welfare. Most immigrants I've known, legal or otherwise, work very hard for their family so they can have a better way of life. It doesn't end with a lousy, in-the-toilet, educational system. Providing better educational opportunities for these kids is in everyone's best interest.

As bad as Salinas' educational system may be they are making some attempts to provide high tech training to some of their young people. Though more of these sorts of things need to be made available. Here is one example of a joint effort with Hartnell College and CSUMB for a three year computer science degree: http://businessinsalinas.com/News-Me...ws-Test-3.aspx

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-24-2014 at 02:05 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,531 times
California is hiding illegal Mexicans and bankrupt as a result. Most Americans are white people who speak English, so it doesn't make sense for California to be bankrupt by Mexicans and the news to say these cities are uneducated. The news should just tell Americans these cities are overrun with illegal Mexicans and your government refuses to deport them.

Stockton hiding illegal Mexicans = Bankrupt.

Like I said, most Americans are white people who speak English. Stockton was only called bankrupt, miserable, etc, after illegal Mexicans appeared. You aren't fooling anyone. Most Americans are white people who speak English.

Last edited by 0114; 09-24-2014 at 03:57 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Dunno, but whether Okie, black, japanese, hmong, sikh, or mexican, seems like the poor migrant generations of the past, don't look all that different from today's hard-working immigrants (even if some of previous ones now wanna "pull up the drawbridge" after they got theirs)!

Library of Congress

Old 09-24-2014, 12:42 PM

462 posts, read 741,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0114 View Post
California is hiding illegal Mexicans and bankrupt as a result. Most Americans are white people who speak English, so it doesn't make sense for California to be bankrupt by Mexicans and the news to say these cities are uneducated. The news should just tell Americans these cities are overrun with illegal Mexicans and your government refuses to deport them.

Stockton hiding illegal Mexicans = Bankrupt.

Like I said, most Americans are white people who speak English. Stockton was only called bankrupt, miserable, etc, after illegal Mexicans appeared. You aren't fooling anyone. Most Americans are white people who speak English.
Well truth be told Stockton has been a hellhole for many years, that area has had issues with crime and poverty for decades. I dislike illegal immigration as much as anyone else, but at least put it in proper context if your gonna make that argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California