Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 11:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,068,218 times

Advertisements

I saw the news about the Chino accident before I went to bed last night. I woke up and read the news online to see if there were any updates on the accident - how it happened, etc., and was shocked to read that another accident had taken place in Irvine hours later in which 5 teenagers returning from Knott's Scary Farm were killed. At first I thought it was the same accident, but one report said Chino and another said Irvine. I thought the articles just misstated the cities. No, unfortunately, there were two separate accidents that killed a whole bunch of young people. Very sad.

Five Dead in Fiery Chino Crash | NBC Southern California

Five Teens Killed When Returning Home From Knott's Scary Farm | NBC Southern California

Where I live, we had a couple of fatal accidents back to back recently.

Two double-fatal Palm Springs car crashes in a week

Lately it seems as though the worst accidents come in pairs. It's really sad, especially when a bunch of young people are killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,340,906 times
I know exactly where the Irvine "accident" occurred. I put "accident" in quotes because...it wasn't an accident. If what I THINK happened IS what happened, the driver...assuming he himself survives, can expect to be charged with five counts of homicide.

I know the area in question quite well. At that time, it's dark. Traffic is very sparse. And that "reverse S" shaped curve just past Sand Canyon right at the 133 is a tricky piece of highway geometry. Especially if you aren't all that familiar with it. Or not paying attention. This comes right off about 5 or 6 miles of almost runway straight pavement.

And I'll bet that's most likely what happened. He was doing 100+ with all his buddies in the dark and light traffic and either A) forgot about that curve and just rolled right off. Or B) saw it too late and overcorrected and...rolled right off.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:57 PM

23,600 posts, read 24,130,589 times
Many people don't take driving as a serious matter! This is the result!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 PM

14,367 posts, read 11,763,754 times
I just found out the details about the Irvine accident, but I knew something bad happened. This morning we got on the 5 northbound at the 133 (heading to the Auto Show). The southbound traffic was completely stopped all the way back to Red Hill. Then, we passed a tow truck on the shoulder of the freeway. The driver had stopped and looked to be adjusting the chains. The car was slightly flattened and completely burnt out...I was driving and didn't get a good look, but my husband said, "Hey, that was an BMW!" I didn't put the two together at the time but...

We got home later in the afternoon and saw the story about the crash...so sad! And I understand the 16-year-old driver was the only survivor. Of course he shouldn't have been driving other teens around and especially not at 2 am, but can you imagine the guilt he will live with for the rest of his life?! And the families of the other kids... I have a 15-year-old and I don't even want to imagine what they are going through.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,471,994 times
And "street racing" was reported in connection with the Chino accident. Remember how at that age we always think we're indestructible and gonna live forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California