Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times

Advertisements

I'd like to add some balance to this thread...

CHP Sergeant Finds $120K In Middle Of Concord Street; Cash Returned To Man Who Had Lost Life Savings « CBS San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Currently cal fire still employs felons in its ranks and it makes me angry their union isn't jumping up and down for (expensive) backgrounds for all employees.
Why yes they do. They are inmates serving their sentences on fire crews. I had a summer herding those cats. At that time, I could have sent any of them back to the big house for no reason at all. I'd take any crew of 15 of those guys over some "hotshot" crew every day of the week.

Some of them actually get done with their sentence and are hired by CalFire because they have the experience that some guy off the street doesn't have. I'd rather have one of those guys coming in behind me when the situation looks nasty.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:34 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Why yes they do. They are inmates serving their sentences on fire crews. I had a summer herding those cats. At that time, I could have sent any of them back to the big house for no reason at all. I'd take any crew of 15 of those guys over some "hotshot" crew every day of the week.

Some of them actually get done with their sentence and are hired by CalFire because they have the experience that some guy off the street doesn't have. I'd rather have one of those guys coming in behind me when the situation looks nasty.

I agree about some inmate camp crew members... they can cut line unequaled...and you are right about them getting hired... that being said... I don't want them in my house touching my child on a medical aid... and anyone with a criminal background diminishes any organization

These chips lost sight of what's right and wrong... they will pay dearly for it... they probably wont get jail time because there will be a plea bargain but try to get a job after being fired as a copper... hard to impossible... just plain stupid... the female already got the get out of jail for free card... she's an idiot too for keeping such pictures on her phone... phones aren't private and Google is voracious and intrusive unless one opts out of everything....

Men ..women.. sex... more men have been brought down with this mix than anything else in life

I wonder if she might parlay this into money..by civil suit and perhaps a layout one day....

Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
So yeah, we really are lucky to have all these younger cops now taking over as the old guard retires. These young guys are more carefully vetted so there's almost no chance of character flaws resulting in crazy behaviors. New screening weeds out the alcohol and drug use and other psychological weaknesses.

27-year-old deputy murders his 29-year-old deputy partner in drunken fight:
Santa Fe sheriff

Certainly we wouldn't want any ex-felons on the force.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:43 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Default Yet another example

And in today's news, another example of how today's LEO's are vetted so much better than those of the past:
Police Officer Accused of Filming Women at Salon - ABC News

Old 11-02-2014, 10:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I agree about some inmate camp crew members... they can cut line unequaled...and you are right about them getting hired... that being said... I don't want them in my house touching my child on a medical aid... and anyone with a criminal background diminishes any organization
Inmates who go to fire camp are pretty carefully screened, no sex offenders are allowed. And since you claim to have a background in LE, you should know better than anyone else that when we cut off access to employment for felons who have served their time we are almost guaranteeing that they will re-offend.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Really.... one weirdo does not an agency make ...by the time any policeman hits the street today they have gone through extensive backgrounds.. testing.,, observation by others .and evaluation ....can someone slip through ,, sure.... a very low percentage...but not zero... perhaps one day the computer will pick us... monitor us.... evaluate and screen and process us on an ongoing basis
Chp is excellent at what they do.. traffic.., thank god they handled that for me....
Also let's get a conviction before we shred the guy...if he's guilty...do him.,
And trust me he will get done,, coppers who get convicted of crimes lose a lot more than other people

As it should be
I worked in LE for over 20 years and that 'extensive background' does not weed out whack jobs, it only weeds out whack jobs who have been arrested before, or have been dumb enough to bring their craziness to the attention of their former employers or neighbors.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I worked in LE for over 20 years and that 'extensive background' does not weed out whack jobs, it only weeds out whack jobs who have been arrested before, or have been dumb enough to bring their craziness to the attention of their former employers or neighbors.
Good reason to do ongoing backgrounds for Leo AND Fire... anyone who can be in your home..touch your children and take your freedom
I have no problem with reintegration of felons... but not in any public safety job... I don't care what they did... low level felon offender.. doesn't matter... they gave up that opportunity with their "mistake"

Society ultimately gets a reflection.. abet minimized.. of itself... allow dope smokers..thieves ..reckless drivers..bad credit worthy people... all the "little things" that show bad parenting.. lack of community involvement in a persons life... or poor life choices...that make up a persons psyche and who they are when there is no spotlight upon them... allow those people in the mix because of racial or gender reasons...well.. the mix isnt good

Historically these spudnuts would never make it to an oral interview let alone a background ... now they get found out after they have made it to the public ... and while statistically the percentage is very very low... less than 1% ..the damage they do is immense...even allows the smug dope users on this forum to pontificate... no defense..get rid of them as quickly as the pobor will allow.
830...are you?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Good reason to do ongoing backgrounds for Leo AND Fire... anyone who can be in your home..touch your children and take your freedom
Ongoing background investigations you are kidding, right? If you really ever worked in LE in California you certainly should be aware of govt code 3300 The Peace Officers Bill of Rights. You can't investigate ANYTHING regarding a peace officer after they are hired read # 14-16. Peace Officer's Bill of Rights [/color]

Quote:
Society ultimately gets a reflection.. abet minimized.. of itself... allow dope smokers..thieves ..reckless drivers..bad credit worthy people... all the "little things" that show bad parenting.. lack of community involvement in a persons life... or poor life choices...that make up a persons psyche and who they are when there is no spotlight upon them... allow those people in the mix because of racial or gender reasons...well.. the mix isnt good
oh..so in your little alternate reality even people with bad credit shouldn't be allowed "in the mix" I guess that would have included me because at one time my wonderful CHP husband walked out on me and two kids, quit his job and left the state with his girlfriend who he was banging on duty I was lucky and quickly landed a a job in LE and within a few years was able to pay off all the debt he had racked up while he was out with his new squeeze using joint credit cards. But if you had been the arbiter of who is 'worthy' I guess I would have spent my life in a job I deserved, maybe like cleaning toilets?

[quote=830...are you?[/QUOTE]

yes, but I am really starting to doubt whether you are CA Codes (pen:830-832.17)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California