Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,798,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The climate has changed in the past and there have been many droughts over the eons, but this current change in climate is unprecedented in that it is rapid, not slow so that animals and plants can adapt or move.. in the past 130 plus years the climate has warmed faster then it ever has before in the past, tree ring data going back several thousand years using redwoods and other long living trees shows that this past century alone has shown the most growth in the redwoods then ever before, more moisture, more warmth and less fog has made them grow in accordance with it.
Than EVER before? ROFL You dont have any evidence whatsoever.

HINT - the Little Ice Age ended appx 1850. Guess what happens when an ice age ends. Hint: it doesnt get colder.

Come on over to the Politics and Other Controversies forum. I would love to see what happens to you when you start playing with the big boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 02:35 AM

21,765 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Once again, chuck: ain't nobodys here said a thang bout "AGW" so why don't you put on your Big Boy thinking cap and think that through? What's with the attack dog act? Doesn't seem particularly like you. Been at some of the old stock grape juice today?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,423,981 times
Quote:
About ten years ago, we started getting birds up here from way south, first was a flock of collered doves and white doves. I reported it to the local Audubon society, they doubted me, said they were likely mourning doves or pigeons. Heck, I have been watching birds since I was a kid in the 60's and know my birds. I showed them a picture that I took in my driveway, they came out and sure enough, they were a flock of doves from Texas and the Gulf states that had never been seen here before. There have since been many reports of birds from farther south making this their new home. We have Canadian geese year round now, they used to migrate and now they are just staying.
Frist of all, as an avid birder let me tell you that you cannot really trust the Audubon Society too much. It's a famous name but they're just a collection of birders, many of whom aren't that experienced.

I can explain what's going on with those species. Collared Doves were introduced to the Bahamas in the 60's. From there they spread to Florida. They have been spreading rapidly ever since. They tend to disperse in a northwesterly direction and this is also how they spread from Asia where they are believed to originate throughout Europe during the 20th century. In both their native and introduced populations, the birds having taken over entire continents.

The Canada Geese in and around the Bay Area have also spread. These birds are believed to be descendant of just 8 birds that were injured and taken to Lake Merritt in Oakland in the 1950's. There were no resident Canada Goose populations in CA before this. They began breeding and by the 80's had established a few breeding populations around the East Bay. Today, the number in the thousands and have spread beyond the Bay Area. These are likely the birds you're seeing. There are still migratory ones but they are from other populations.

Another species that has expanded it's range in recent decades is the Great-Tailed Grackle. This species did so without any introductions. It's range has gone rapidly northward and westward. They were once restricted to the Imperial Valley in CA but now are common in San Diego and locally all the way to Monterey. I once saw a lone bird in SF.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,829,547 times
Gone to furniture, every one.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:41 AM

50,464 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Frist of all, as an avid birder let me tell you that you cannot really trust the Audubon Society too much. It's a famous name but they're just a collection of birders, many of whom aren't that experienced.

I can explain what's going on with those species. Collared Doves were introduced to the Bahamas in the 60's. From there they spread to Florida. They have been spreading rapidly ever since. They tend to disperse in a northwesterly direction and this is also how they spread from Asia where they are believed to originate throughout Europe during the 20th century. In both their native and introduced populations, the birds having taken over entire continents.

The Canada Geese in and around the Bay Area have also spread. These birds are believed to be descendant of just 8 birds that were injured and taken to Lake Merritt in Oakland in the 1950's. There were no resident Canada Goose populations in CA before this. They began breeding and by the 80's had established a few breeding populations around the East Bay. Today, the number in the thousands and have spread beyond the Bay Area. These are likely the birds you're seeing. There are still migratory ones but they are from other populations.

Another species that has expanded it's range in recent decades is the Great-Tailed Grackle. This species did so without any introductions. It's range has gone rapidly northward and westward. They were once restricted to the Imperial Valley in CA but now are common in San Diego and locally all the way to Monterey. I once saw a lone bird in SF.
Are those the big ones we see at Lake Miramar now? Really LOUD.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,504,562 times
Quote:

We have not seen the grackle, yet, but starlings have displace the blackbirds. I have not seen the collered doves since the epidemic that hit the large population of band tailed pigeons. We have a local phone number that we can call that is tied to HSU and one can listen to reports of birds seen. I found that the local chapter president was not aware that crows have a relationship with other small birds and that crows do not like blue jays or hawks. I have over 200 feet of hedge row that I planted on purpose for the birds and have put out nest boxes for the small birds and recently installed a nest box for a barn owl on the eaves of my garage. Every place that I have lived I have monitored the local bird life. I grew up in the bay area, lived in Oakland and Berkeley, but I did not see the multitude of birds that we have up here, but we have so much open space here for them and an abundance of bottom marsh lands. I kept track of the same Lincoln's sparrow over 8 breeding seasons and by last year they were making their nest a month early. Unfortunately a new neighbors cat took both the sparrows spouse and then the male sparrow. I hesitate anymore to put up a nest box for that reason.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Are those the big ones we see at Lake Miramar now? Really LOUD.
I haven't been to Lake Miramar in a while. Last time I was there, the majority of the geese were domestics that were released there. There was one White-Fronted goose (about half their size) that lived with them. A bird that came in for a winter then never left. Each winter there would also be one or two Cackling Geese (Aleutian) which look like small Canadas but were split into their own species about 10 years ago.

Most wild geese are smaller than the domestics that most people are used to.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
We have not seen the grackle, yet, but starlings have displace the blackbirds. I have not seen the collered doves since the epidemic that hit the large population of band tailed pigeons. We have a local phone number that we can call that is tied to HSU and one can listen to reports of birds seen. I found that the local chapter president was not aware that crows have a relationship with other small birds and that crows do not like blue jays or hawks. I have over 200 feet of hedge row that I planted on purpose for the birds and have put out nest boxes for the small birds and recently installed a nest box for a barn owl on the eaves of my garage. Every place that I have lived I have monitored the local bird life. I grew up in the bay area, lived in Oakland and Berkeley, but I did not see the multitude of birds that we have up here, but we have so much open space here for them and an abundance of bottom marsh lands. I kept track of the same Lincoln's sparrow over 8 breeding seasons and by last year they were making their nest a month early. Unfortunately a new neighbors cat took both the sparrows spouse and then the male sparrow. I hesitate anymore to put up a nest box for that reason.
Just a tip; we do not have Blue Jays in California. I grew up in Berkeley and Oakland and there are a lot of birds around. I have not seen Starlings displace Blackbirds as they do not compete for nest sites which is the main issue with Starlings. House Sparrows, also introduced are the worst in this regard.

I can tell you that there aren't as many birds in the Berkeley/Oakland area as there once was. Looks like they have left as it got drier there. this is also why the trees are dying. What many don't understand is, yes, droughts have always happened in CA but it was never a semi permanent condition. The climate zones have shifted northward for sure. Farmers will tell you this. I was last in the Bay Area two years ago and the summers felt like they did in San Diego 20 years ago. San Diego summers have gone from humidity that you noticed to outright crazy. this last summer here was muggy as hell, like nothing I have ever felt. Even the Pacific Northwest right now is warmer than normal and the rain in Seattle is changing from the constant drizzle they used to get to the heavier downpours we used to get in the Bay Area.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,743,764 times
I've always enjoyed time spent in the Redwoods and whenever I have guests, a trip to see them is always on the schedule.

About 10 years ago, I thought it would be nice to create a little Muir Woods on some family property down by a seasonal creek... I bought 20 redwoods and 10 live oaks at the same time.

9 of the 10 Oak Trees are thriving... the one that didn't make it was my fault for not turning off the hose 100% and it drowned.

My hopes for the Redwood Grove have not gone well... between the deer and drought, only 5 of the 20 are doing ok... and they are the ones that are very inaccessible... all the easy to reach ones the deer have killed.

My only motivation is for someday someone would stumble across the little grove next to a creek and be in awe...

Old 01-23-2015, 01:54 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Just a tip; we do not have Blue Jays in California. I grew up in Berkeley and Oakland and there are a lot of birds around. I have not seen Starlings displace Blackbirds as they do not compete for nest sites which is the main issue with Starlings. House Sparrows, also introduced are the worst in this regard.

I can tell you that there aren't as many birds in the Berkeley/Oakland area as there once was. Looks like they have left as it got drier there. this is also why the trees are dying. What many don't understand is, yes, droughts have always happened in CA but it was never a semi permanent condition. The climate zones have shifted northward for sure. Farmers will tell you this. I was last in the Bay Area two years ago and the summers felt like they did in San Diego 20 years ago. San Diego summers have gone from humidity that you noticed to outright crazy. this last summer here was muggy as hell, like nothing I have ever felt. Even the Pacific Northwest right now is warmer than normal and the rain in Seattle is changing from the constant drizzle they used to get to the heavier downpours we used to get in the Bay Area.
We had a Bluejay in our backyard in Berkeley/Oakland, once. But it was a LONG time ago, when I was a kid. And it was an unusual occurrence, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California