Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

In the East Bay most of the Monterrey Pines are dieing off... it's a blight and spreading...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I wonder if anyone has tried it so far. There are some pretty big pines in LJ. I just never thought they might be redwoods.
Most of those are Torrey Pines. With the exception of Santa Rosa Island, it is a San Diego County specialty. It grows in that area between La Jolla and Torrey Pines State reserve. That's San Diego's fog belt and west of I-5. Redwoods could grow there and do reasonably well as that area is often the only area in SD where coastal fog persist.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In the East Bay most of the Monterrey Pines are dieing off... it's a blight and spreading...
Yep and thanks for the correction. they are Monterey Pines, not Bishop Pines but they are very similar.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have walked the Berkeley hills from one end of Grizzly peak blvd. to the south end of Skyline blvd. I recall the lake, it even has a cave perched up on a hill overlooking the lake and I thought I remember a merry go round, but I have not been back since 1992, but used to live right below the Mormon temple in Oakland and walked up Lincoln to Joaquin Miller park and up to Skyline. Robert Sibley roundtop was my favorite.
I used to go to the merry go round as a kid, but I don't remember any lake nearby. I used to go to school on Lincoln, and had no idea there was a park up there. I really need to acquaint myself with that part of the East Bay. My hangout was always Lake Temescal park.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
They also bled dry all the pension funds for people that had been working for Palco for decades. Those people were left bone dry, no jobs, no pensions. The owner of Maxam is from Australia and is now based in Texas after venturing into oil. He is also the same creep that stole all that money in the 80's savings and loan scandel. Charles Hurwitz is his name, he took over Palco in a hostile market maneuver.. He destroyed the logging industry in Humboldt and Mendocino, prior to that it was and had been sustainable since 1863.
Total scum! Add that to the list of things that shouldn't be allowed. Wow, Australians haven't been going out of their way to make a good reputation for themselves in the States: Hurwitz (that name sounds familiar...), Rupert Murdoch... they're not getting off to a good start in terms of public goodwill.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
I am a student of anything that catches my fancy. Trees, birds, plants, flowers, animals, geology, anthropology. I love all the ologies.
Cryptozoology ?.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=cryp...2&ved=0CDUQsAQ

Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's Lake Anza. You cannot see Jewel Lake until you're right upon it. It is a small lake at the north end of Tilden Park. Indeed above it is not Berkeley but Kensington.

This is Jewel Lake:

Most of those trees at the north end here are Douglas Firs. I think there are maybe two or three Redwoods in there with them. Maybe a Bishop Pine as well.
Okay, I thought I was confusing it with Lake Anza. I do not think I ever got the chance to go to Jewel Lake.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I used to go to the merry go round as a kid, but I don't remember any lake nearby. I used to go to school on Lincoln, and had no idea there was a park up there. I really need to acquaint myself with that part of the East Bay. My hangout was always Lake Temescal park.
You went to Head Royce School? I worked there in 85/86 as a grounds keeper. Joaquin Miller park is right above highway 13, it has a nice stairway with a man made water system that cascades down to a pool. There is also a small hill side amphetheatre in the park. Lincoln turns into Joaquin Miller at the Warren freeway and at the top it merges with Skyline. I lived down on Boston avenue off of McArthur blvd. I had jobs above Broadway terrace and lost nine yards in the Oakland Hills fire of 91. I used to walk from Boston avenue through various routes to Temescal. I was addicted to walking and would do about 12 miles on Monday to Friday and between 15 and 20 on Saturday and Sunday. I covered most of the Oakland/ Berkeley hills and even walked down Pinehurst to the lower intrance to Redwood park and back, that was a good 26 mile walk.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Well, I do believe that Sasquatch/bigfoot is an as yet undiscovered human primate. But I sift through what I often feel are just hoaxes. Give me a good book on earthquakes, volcanoes or about primitive man and I am in heaven

Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Total scum! Add that to the list of things that shouldn't be allowed. Wow, Australians haven't been going out of their way to make a good reputation for themselves in the States: Hurwitz (that name sounds familiar...), Rupert Murdoch... they're not getting off to a good start in terms of public goodwill.
Charles Hurwitz was behind the savings and loan scandel in the early 80's that wiped out the savings of a lot of people, some that I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California