Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:54 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And I have never figured out why people moved back East after Loma Prieta. East Coast earthquakes are worse than West Coast ones because they're shallower, so they can be stronger and they're felt over a much wider distance, not to mention New York City has fault lines under it:
If the earthquake was the same size it would be worse on the east coast, but that isn't saying much. Earthquakes on the east coast are, on average, much smaller and occur much less frequently. The risk of experiencing a major earthquake on the east coast is considerably smaller than the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If the earthquake was the same size it would be worse on the east coast, but that isn't saying much. Earthquakes on the east coast are, on average, much smaller and occur much less frequently. The risk of experiencing a major earthquake on the east coast is considerably smaller than the west coast.
"Much less frequently"? There have been two major quakes in the Bay Area: 1906 and 1989. Is that considered "frequently"?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Funny how some people are so glib about earthquakes on the east coast.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Much less frequently"? There have been two major quakes in the Bay Area: 1906 and 1989. Is that considered "frequently"?
Yep, much less frequently, for example there have been numerous major earthquakes in California in the last 100 years and not one on the east coast. And as far as earthquakes go, yes, two major earthquakes in the same geographic area is frequent.

Its amusing that now the fact that California has the highest earthquake risks is being denied....

Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
haha, sounds like the post I made earlier about a lady who moved and went through a quake every time she did. You went through a couple of big ones. I felt the Northridge quake pretty decently in San Diego. It was the quake that just kept going and going. Seem to last forever.
Yeah, my mom said if I moved back to Minnesota, they'd probably have a big quake too. She thinks I'm jinxed.

I was lucky. Both times I was in a place where there would have been little chance of being hurt, so I enjoyed both earthquakes. All I can say though, is I'm sure glad I wasn't up in the Space Needle during the Nisqually one.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Yeah, my mom said if I moved back to Minnesota, they'd probably have a big quake too. She thinks I'm jinxed.

I was lucky. Both times I was in a place where there would have been little chance of being hurt, so I enjoyed both earthquakes. All I can say though, is I'm sure glad I wasn't up in the Space Needle during the Nisqually one.
I heard the Space Needle is expected to handle up to a 9.0 quake so in most cases, it may be the place to be as long as you have a change of underwear.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 PM

Not a chance do I want to be up in the Space Needle during an earthquake. In fact, I saw pictures of a collapsed building after the Mexican earthquake in 1986, was it? I think 1986. There was a scrap of medal on the ground, then what looked like a big slab of stone on top of it, then another slab on top of that, and another one on top of that. I was told that the medal scrap was a car bumper, and the slab of stone on it was the first floor of the building, the second slab was the second floor and so on. I decided right then and there I was no way going to be in a building during an earthquake, I don't care how much debris is falling outside. I also plan not to be IN a building on the top floor either, and that includes the Space Needle.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Not a chance do I want to be up in the Space Needle during an earthquake. In fact, I saw pictures of a collapsed building after the Mexican earthquake in 1986, was it? I think 1986. There was a scrap of medal on the ground, then what looked like a big slab of stone on top of it, then another slab on top of that, and another one on top of that. I was told that the medal scrap was a car bumper, and the slab of stone on it was the first floor of the building, the second slab was the second floor and so on. I decided right then and there I was no way going to be in a building during an earthquake, I don't care how much debris is falling outside. I also plan not to be IN a building on the top floor either, and that includes the Space Needle.
Tongue-in-cheek remark. Not saying go into the Space Needle seriously. Breathe in...now breathe out. There, isn't that better?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Earthquakes don't cooperate with human plans. No warnings on CNN to tell you to run out of the building. Which isn't usually on the lists of what to do in the event...

Old 02-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Which is why I don't want to be in the Space Needle. You can't run out of it when you're on top of it. Well, I guess you could, but.......

I'm OK, Gentoo. Breathing normally now. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California