Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I appreciate you all taking the time to help me on my search. I am a young graduate who has lived on the East Coast his entire life. I have a job opportunity with the government (in my field of agriculture), and I have the following cities to select from: Eureka, Orland, Livingston, Newman, Fresno, Hanford, and Los Angeles.

I honestly don't know anything about many of these areas. I know a lot of LA can be expensive, and it also has a huge population. Other areas seem like small agricultural towns.

Some things that are important to me are crime rates, but also some form of a young person atmosphere, or to be close to a neighboring area that is great to go into on a Friday night. I am not worried about school districts, or items like that for now. I just want to be in a reasonably safe area that isn't too far off the beaten path. I will probably live in an apartment.

Perhaps one of those cities scream don't move to?

Thank you

-George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 04:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,253,609 times
If you can afford it, LA would be the obvious choice to me. Most of the other cities are small towns probably less appealing to a young single person.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,982,693 times
All of them are fine. I wouldn't move to LA unless I really wanted to live there though.

Fresno is a pretty big city in its own right, it would have the most to do (not counting LA). Hanford is a bigger small town, probably a decent sized military influence. Eureka is pretty much on the coast, cool and wet most of the year.

Livingston, Newman, and Orland are typical small farm towns. I like Orland the best, of those three.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,736,947 times
Ok, seriously, if I were you and had all those choices I would fly out to CA at least once and check them out first hand. They are all so different. For a young person LA has much to offer. But it depends 'where' in LA you will work. For example if its downtown I don't think I'd want to do that. But that's just me. I've never liked downtown LA. Though there are many nicer parts. A lot depends on you. Are you more into the hippie, throwback kinda scene that's very 420 friendly? Eureka may be your thing. Are you a country boy at heart? Pick one of the farm towns, etc...

Even if you are thinking about LA, it's such a large city that the harder question will be 'which' part do you want to live in? By the beach, city, Hollywood, Westside, East LA, Pasadena, etc..? Your job location will help narrow that for you because in LA it's always best if you live as close to work as possible. If you haven't heard the traffic sucks, big time! Its not the distance that gets you its the gridlock. There are some limited metro rail options though depending on where you live/work. My personal favorite location to live in LA is the South Bay beach cities (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, Torrance). There are tons of young people there as well. The Westside has its charms for nightlife activities if that's you thing. its always easier to get around at night in LA than during the day (rush hour).

Derek

Old 02-19-2015, 12:44 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,493,399 times
I recommend a California road trip, up the state starting in San Diego. Kind of a rite of passage for us that grew up here (I've done it all the way to Canada, most have done the San Francisco to LA/SD portions). Plan it well, so you can stop at the various places you are considering and check out neighborhoods, the vibes. If you can.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM

301 posts, read 520,759 times
Default Orland as a possibility

Orland may be a small agricultural town, but it is a quick 20-minute commute from Chico. Chico has a university (California State University, Chico, better known as Chico State), so there will be a built-in population of young people and lots of things to do. Chico is a mid-sized city with a lot of outdoor activities available. If you get the chance, check out Bidwell Park (used to be the 4th largest city park in the country, not sure if that's still true). Cost of living will be much less in Chico than Los Angeles, and without the commute headaches.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:29 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,445,704 times
Since you're young and single, LA all the way. Although Fresno could have some things that interest you.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,840,320 times
If you want to advance in your organization move to the most influential office/location.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:35 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,981,604 times
Fresno has everything you're looking for.

I was taught that if you can't say something nice about a person, place, or thing, then don't say anything at all. So I won't say anything about L.A.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,575,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseonthemove View Post
Eureka, Orland, Livingston, Newman, Fresno, Hanford, and Los Angeles.
Hi George, the ones that scream "no" to me are: Orland, Livingston, Newman and Hanford. These are in the middle of dinky agricultural towns, in the middle of the state where it gets unbearably hot in the summer, and there's not much to do.

Yes, you could drive to Chico from Orland, or Fresno from Hanford, etc. But, those towns are also in the middle of the central valley where it's unbearably hot in summer.

Chico is a nice city with a university, so lots of young folk. Pretty area with lots of trees and hills and rivers. But hot to the tune of 100+ degrees for half the year.

Fresno is pretty much flat and hot. You can drive to the national parks, but it's a more barren type of terrain. And flat, flat, flat.You can see the foothills in the distance, but they're pretty much devoid of trees until you get into the national park. There is a university there, too, but it doesn't dominate the town, like it does in Chico, so the university influence (and the young folk) are just a small part of the population. Fresno doesn't feel like a college town. Chico does.

For fun, LA is great. And you can find young people by going to clubs or the beach, etc. But, you'll be dealing with traffic from hell. But, the weather is fantastic and there are beaches.

My personal favorite for you would be Eureka. This is because I would assume if you are taking agriculture, you might prefer a smaller town/city than LA, and way less traffic problems. Arcata is right next to Eureka, and has a college. Both Eureka and Arcata feel like college towns and have lots of young folk. The weather is cooler, but it's not always cloudy or rainy, like people here tend to say it is. I much prefer this weather. And the giant redwood forests are in your backyard. The ocean is in your front yard.

But, the beaches are usually much cooler temps than LA would be. If you want to hang out on a beach tanning yourself, and viewing others doing the same (ha ha), that would be LA.

Congrats on having lots of choices! And welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California