Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 15,739 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I've posted one or twice on this forum before, but now I'm out of school and on my own and in a much better/more serious position to move. So I'm back! Anyway, getting right into things here, the quick story is, my boyfriend and I are planning on moving across the country from the East Coast. We have our many reasons.

He's in finance and I'm a graphic designer. We've been doing some pretty extensive research on the best area for us in the state, and we THOUGHT we found it in Folsom. The area literally seems perfect for us as far as expenses, safety, and community lifestyle go, but the problem and and pretty big one at that is that there is significantly less opportunity for my field in the Sacramento region than there is further south.

So, my question is, are there any areas outside of LA/San Diego regions (or really anywhere more south of Sac/San fran) that at least resemble Folsom? (Reasonably safe, around $1,500 rent, definitely more suburban feel)

We're not city/nightlife people and really enjoy the suburban, family-oriented atmosphere (we're old people at heart ) and so we're definitely not looking to live in the city, but obviously somewhere within commutable distance (30-45 minutes max) would be great if we ever wanted to visit, and obviously for work-related purposes.

Also, while we would both love to live near the coast, we're aware that's not financially possible at this point in time for us, and while not necessary, a 2 hour drive to the beach would be nice.

If this is "not attainable" in your opinion, advice outside of any of these parameters would still be helpful (ie somewhere suburban/safe but with higher rent, longer commute, etc) I'm just trying to get as much info as possible and thought I'd be able to find some help on here. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 11:57 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Maybe Woodland Hills in the west San Fernando Valley. Not fully suburban, but the beach is right over Topanga Canyon. There are places within your budget if you can do a 1-bedroom, and you will be in range for all of LA and its opportunities. If you want even more suburban, look at Sim Valley.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Your apartment/small house for rent in Temecula/Murrieta is waiting for you to move.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Looking into the Temecula/Murrieta region and you're definitely right! Little ways commute from LA but could be doable. Thanks for the help!

Anyone ever do this commute? Is traffic horrendous? (My commute right now is a nightmare so wouldn't be much of a culture shock if so).

Old 04-19-2015, 10:58 AM

That's a nasty commute to LA from there requiring you to leave at or well before 4 am. If you are going to commute to LA, you might look at places in the IE or in the San Gabriel Valley. You might want to look at other places since I didn't know where you were commuting to. Please post in the Inland Empire section and be sure to specify where in LA you would be working.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:39 PM

50 posts, read 76,088 times
Temecula to LA...FORGETABOUTIT! 1.5 hours each way in ZERO traffic. 2-3 hours each way during normal traffic. That's a horrible commute any way you look at it. I know, I travel that route once a week lately.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 PM

I figured that looking up the distances between the two, wasn't banking on commuting to LA if living in that region. But I didn't think San Diego would be as bad, which also has a ton of opportunity. Google maps is saying 40-50 minutes without traffic but not sure how bad it would be with it.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:47 PM

Temecula/Murrieta is more of a suburb of San Diego in the minds of San Diegans at least. However, I know of many persons who commute from there to OC and LA, a scary commute. They live on the 91.

The Temecula/Murrieta area is not completely a bedroom community of San Diego but I suspect that more people commute south than others do to OC and LA.

Get a job here first and then decide.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 PM

50 posts, read 76,088 times
Unless you are in retail, food-service (waiter), or healthcare, there is slim pickings for jobs in Murrieta/Temecula.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clk25 View Post

So, my question is, are there any areas outside of LA/San Diego regions (or really anywhere more south of Sac/San fran) that at least resemble Folsom? (Reasonably safe, around $1,500 rent, definitely more suburban feel)

We're not city/nightlife people and really enjoy the suburban, family-oriented atmosphere (we're old people at heart ) and so we're definitely not looking to live in the city, but obviously somewhere within commutable distance (30-45 minutes max) would be great if we ever wanted to visit, and obviously for work-related purposes.

Also, while we would both love to live near the coast, we're aware that's not financially possible at this point in time for us, and while not necessary, a 2 hour drive to the beach would be nice.

If this is "not attainable" in your opinion, advice outside of any of these parameters would still be helpful (ie somewhere suburban/safe but with higher rent, longer commute, etc) I'm just trying to get as much info as possible and thought I'd be able to find some help on here. Thank you!!
Suburbs near L.A. in distance from the beach (furthest to closest): Palmdale (west side), Quartz Hill, Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Camarillo.

Orange County suburbs: Yorba Linda, Fullerton, Anaheim Hills, Rancho Santa Margarita, Irvine.

San Diego suburbs: Temecula, Murrieta, Escondido, Poway, Ramona, San Marcos (parts of it).

These places meet the criteria of being "family friendly", all within a couple hours or less to the beach, suburban and commutable*.

*Palmdale and Quartz Hill are commutable to the northern part of L.A. known as the San Fernando Valley.
*Temecula and Murrieta are commutable only to the North County area of San Diego.
*Camarillo is commutable to the San Fernando Valley of L.A.
*All of the Orange County cities I listed are either commutable to L.A. or are self-contained, job wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California