Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times

Advertisements

[quote=sourdough;41569647]this El Nino won't help the drought [quote]

I think I understand what you're gerting at, but a strong el nino portends higher than average rainfall. That necessarily mitigates the effects of any drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 AM

471 posts, read 601,116 times
No matter how much it rains, those who would use it for political advantage will always say "but it ain't gonna' do nothin' for the drought".

Heavy El Nino will help alleviate the drought, will it restore all the water, no, but it will make an impact.

Drought mongers like to claim that rain has no impact on the drought, only snow, but that ignores that most of the states aquifers are rain fed and that overall rainfall will charge many natural areas with water.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,752 times
I have no political play with the drought. I mis-spoke and meant to say "it will not end the drought". Read the article. It is what it is. Drought monger, HaHa funny.
As far as an El Nino recharging the San Jaquin aquifers, read this USGS report… http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1182/p...quinValley.pdf
Big business is doing what it always does. Rape the land, walk away and let tax payers deal with the aftermath.

Last edited by sourdough; 10-16-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 09:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
More tangible evidence of El Nino, as if we needed any more:

‘Incredibly Venomous’ Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake Seen in California for 1st Time in 30 Years | KTLA

Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
this El Nino won't help the drought and could do more harm than good, was published yesterday …. This Devastating Chart Shows Why Even a Powerful El Niño Won
Another day, another scare-mongering article. While clearing out your rain gutters you'd better also prepare for a slew of articles that will come out with every rain event, telling us how nothing will ever help the drought.

Rain won't help. Snow won't help. Nothing will help except radical conservation measures (liberals) or everyone abandoning the failed state of Commifornia (conservatives).

What nonsense. We've had the wettest summer in history, already. Today marks the 3rd straight day of heavy flooding rains (which are recharging surface water sources as we speak) IN OCTOBER. October is fire season, not rain season!! Take a look at the latest USGS drought survey. Things are actually improving in what is supposed to be the driest part of the year, thanks to 3 hurricanes and numerous other abnormal rain events already impacting California.

The forecasters are getting so desperate for some "normal" weather, that they were gleefully predicting offshores and "critical fire danger" a full week out, yesterday. Models changed overnight, however, and now they're glumly admitting that we might get even more rain, instead.

The way things are going, it looks like we're going to have an epic rainy season, since it's started 4 months earlier than normal!

I'm sure we will fall back into drought, eventually. Conservation, reclamation, and new water sources (like desalination plants) are a good investment. We've made that investment with the latest bond measure, and the future of CA is bright!

Edit: And northern CA is not getting left out, contrary to the scare-mongers fondest wishes. Check out the radar right now. Northern CA is getting a double-whammy pounding from an early Pacific storm, with two heavy bands of rain sweeping through, and more to come!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Another day, another scare-mongering article. What nonsense. We've had the wettest summer in history, already. Today marks the 3rd straight day of heavy flooding rains....
We've seen very little rain in L.A. We've been under average seasonal rainfall for the past 4 years.
Total Seasonal Rainfall 1877-Present

Old 10-17-2015, 09:52 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,752 times
Default Another day, another scare-mongering article.

warning adult content from United States Drought Monitor Oct.13,2015

Current National Drought Summary, California and Great Basin
After last week’s widespread and unseasonably heavy (0.5-1.5 inches) rains in southern and eastern California and western and northern Nevada (locally to 2 inches), more typical dry and warm weather returned to the region. There were no changes made this week. The recent wet weather did nothing to offset the long-term drought, but may have aided in the suppression of wild fires as September and October are normally the biggest months for fires in California.

Tune in next week for more scary updates. That is all.
Excerpt source: United States Drought Monitor > Home
Current National Drought Summary, California and Great Basin

This just in...http://www.wired.com/2015/10/devasta...x-the-drought/

Last edited by sourdough; 10-17-2015 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-17-2015, 10:22 AM

807 posts, read 898,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
It's not that I don't have some faith in science. It's just that I place a lot more trust in what I see looking out the window than I do looking at my laptop monitor.
The reason why we use data is to see the bigger picture that's happening precisely because there are things happening outside our windows beyond the horizon.

Would you want to fly on an airplane whose pilots tell you, "Data is for wussies. I don't need or use my instruments and gauges because I can see everything going on right outside these windows?" It's sort of like that.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
[quote=nslander;41577419][quote=sourdough;41569647]this El Nino won't help the drought
Quote:

I think I understand what you're gerting at, but a strong el nino portends higher than average rainfall. That necessarily mitigates the effects of any drought.
Temporarily. Then--it's back to drought.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:43 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Yup. I have to drive to NM around the end of the month, and was planning to take that route. So I'll have to keep an eye on the weather news, and may have to change my route. But according to the map I saw, the rain/flooding reached all the way through Nevada to Colorado, so it seems there's no escaping the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California