Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:12 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What people don't seem to realize is that it's not a permanent fix. El Nino comes, el Nino goes, and then it's back to the drought.
So...you know for a fact that SoCal will remain in permanent drought?

We have a few dry years or warmer years (or wet years or colder years, whatever) and people start babbling about the "new normal," as though every little change is going to be FOREVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 10:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I really believed that it was going to rain when I started following this thread and bought covers for my patio furniture. It rained for about 3 minutes and we covered all the furniture, I think I need to take the covers off so it will rain again

Old 10-15-2015, 01:15 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
. . . or wash your car. That works every time.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:02 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
"It's here".

Based on WHAT?

Another PowerPoint chart? ("look at this terrifying chart! The chart says.....")

I think everyone can shove their "charts".

The water is a degree warmer?

For those of us who live in the REAL world, neither of those mean diddly schidt. I have yet to see any change.

It's not that I don't have some faith in science. It's just that I place a lot more trust in what I see looking out the window than I do looking at my laptop monitor.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM

19 posts, read 19,199 times
Here is a recent (posted yesterday) summary by NOAA of predicted El Nino impacts in CA: https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...winter-outlook

Old 10-15-2015, 10:21 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
this El Nino won't help the drought and could do more harm than good, was published yesterday …. This Devastating Chart Shows Why Even a Powerful El Niño Won

Last edited by sourdough; 10-15-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-15-2015, 01:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
"It's here".

Based on WHAT?

Another PowerPoint chart? ("look at this terrifying chart! The chart says.....")

I think everyone can shove their "charts".

The water is a degree warmer?

For those of us who live in the REAL world, neither of those mean diddly schidt. I have yet to see any change.

It's not that I don't have some faith in science. It's just that I place a lot more trust in what I see looking out the window than I do looking at my laptop monitor.
It's here based on the fact that water in key points of the western Equatorial Pacific are at levels that highly exceed the standard for what is considered El Niño. A degree warmer? That has a huge effect on the atmosphere above, and water is actually already almost 2.5 degrees CELSIUS above normal. That's massive, seeing as it only needs to be 0.5 above to be considered El Niño.

This isn't some subjective reasoning, El Niño is here. Just because it isn't raining on your lawn right now doesn't change that fact. Have a little patience, it's not even our rainy season yet. I don't exactly know what you mean when you say "PowerPoint chart", as I have yet to see any sort of El Niño recordings done with such a novel program. All you have to do is look at SST maps of the Pacific Ocean.

Are you under the impression that El Niño only affects CA? Because ask anyone in Australia, Central America, Southeast Asia, or South America right now they have felt the affects of El Niño and it would be a resounding yes.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:55 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
This isn't some subjective reasoning, El Niño is here. Just because it isn't raining on your lawn right now doesn't change that fact.
True.
El Niño keeps getting stronger; new forecast for rain increases - LA Times

Old 10-15-2015, 05:57 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
This is not good news. By that chart it looks like only a 50/50 chance the Northern half of California will get relief above normal. I've read it will take 4 years of above normal to correct the drought effects back to normal. A normal snow pack in the Sierras does little to help beyond what the conditions are now. Less than normal, the the drought worsens.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:29 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Pretty frightening.
L.A. County mudslides trap numerous cars; searchers look for trapped drivers - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California