Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 07:58 AM
EAC EAC started this thread

3 posts, read 20,502 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Lathrop area from Texas. I have three kids-very athletic. Any school districts in that area that are strong academically and athletically? Is there any areas that do not have gang problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 05:27 PM

318 posts, read 1,316,906 times
Lathrop is close to the south side of Stockton. The high crime and don't walk at night side. I think the schools are in the Manteca school District. Does anyone know for sure here? Manteca schools are okay...my boys went there. But there are gang activites and police on campus, at least the high school.

Example: 15 years ago when we were looking to buy a home in the Manteca area we checked out Lathrop with a realtor...they were a little cheaper than Manteca. We pulled up to a fairly new house tract and the police were parked in front of a home. Searching the grass for bullets

We decided on Manteca instead. This is how the lay of the land goes. Tracy, folks working in bay area and nice new home tracts...expensive. Manteca, okay and still nice enough to raise a family. Lathrop, borderline...because of it's location to South Stockton. Stockton, I have a friend that lived there most of their lives. They had an alarm in every home and had their houses robbed 3 times...when they weren't home. But I like Delta College.

North Stockton, prefered over Central Stockton because of Lodi School District. The nicer side of Stockton. Still need to be careful in picking a neighborhood.

Lodi, I like Lodi. The have a nice downtown and lots of nice homes and better schools than the other areas. But still you get some of the gang element, but you feel safer.

Izzy

Old 11-14-2006, 05:27 AM
EAC EAC started this thread

3 posts, read 20,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Lathrop is close to the south side of Stockton. The high crime and don't walk at night side. I think the schools are in the Manteca school District. Does anyone know for sure here? Manteca schools are okay...my boys went there. But there are gang activites and police on campus, at least the high school.

Example: 15 years ago when we were looking to buy a home in the Manteca area we checked out Lathrop with a realtor...they were a little cheaper than Manteca. We pulled up to a fairly new house tract and the police were parked in front of a home. Searching the grass for bullets

We decided on Manteca instead. This is how the lay of the land goes. Tracy, folks working in bay area and nice new home tracts...expensive. Manteca, okay and still nice enough to raise a family. Lathrop, borderline...because of it's location to South Stockton. Stockton, I have a friend that lived there most of their lives. They had an alarm in every home and had their houses robbed 3 times...when they weren't home. But I like Delta College.

North Stockton, prefered over Central Stockton because of Lodi School District. The nicer side of Stockton. Still need to be careful in picking a neighborhood.

Lodi, I like Lodi. The have a nice downtown and lots of nice homes and better schools than the other areas. But still you get some of the gang element, but you feel safer.

Izzy
Thanks! Tracy seems very close to Lathrop. Lodi....north of Stockton? What kind of a commute would it be through Stockton-stop and go, or expressway? Gangs...everyone mentions the gangs-is it a situation where if you mind your own business you're okay, or do they filtrate regardless? What positive elements outweigh the gang issue?

Old 11-14-2006, 02:22 PM

318 posts, read 1,316,906 times
Where would you be commuting from? There are two major hwys through the San Joaquin Valley. That is the area you are looking at. The hwys are 99 and 5.

99 is always being worked on and it has a lot of short on ramps. It also goes through the poorest part of Stockton. The only risk is the traffic and you don't want to get off the hwy at night in certain areas.

5 is a nicer hwy and goes a long the edge of the cities I have mentioned. The gang and high crime problems would mostly affect your kids in school. You would need to check out the schools on line. Tracy or Lodi would be a better choice for your kids. Both can be expensive to live in. My husband is a forklift mechanic and he says some of the schools he is afraid to walk around in. The stockton schools can be really scary to kids from out of town.

What town will you be working in? Maybe I can suggest a town within commute distance.

Izzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California