Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:04 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
supposedly brown widows are more poisonous than their black brethren, but are unable to release their venom in quantities to cause significant harm. also, they don't hide like black widows, so they are seen much more often even though they are smaller. brown widows also have egg sacs that look spiky balls, which i find amusing when i see them in my backyard. they must be an invasive species, since I don't remember seeing them growing up in the 80s/90s and i've always lived in southern CA. bottom line, there are spiders here, and just like earthquakes, you'll have to learn to live with them.
They can be sneaky in a round about way. They lay their eggs so they are out of the sun and/or rain so it can be in some pretty strange spots. We have a bunch of them under the edges of the pool cover so we have to be careful when we roll it up every spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 05:58 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not familiar with any killer spiders in the U.S.

Or any killer insects, either. Unless you're allergic.
Mosquitoes will kill under the right conditions. Plenty of those out there.
I would consider black widow spiders to be a "killer spider".

Tarantula isn't a "spider" really, but it counts.

Plenty of other little nasties out there. I would say though that as long as you stay out of Northern California you'll "mostly" be alright.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Tarantula isn't a "spider" really, but it counts.
A tarantula is certainly a spider!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:16 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I would say though that as long as you stay out of Northern California you'll "mostly" be alright.
What is a killer critter in Northern California that is not in Southern?
Mountain lions and bears? Whole state has those. Scorpions are also all over California, but the more poisonous ones are in the desert....which is south.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Nuke the site from orbit (its the only way to be sure)

Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Actually, there are humans in both regions bear this label.

But if one is concerned with the little hourglass buggers, take great precautions when pulling wood from the woodpile. They get annoyed when they're disturbed in there.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 AM

70 posts, read 81,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Mountain lions and bears? Whole state has those. Scorpions are also all over California, but the more poisonous ones are in the desert....which is south.
I've lived in SD and as far north as Lassen Park. The one place the out does them all for killers is Yosemite area.

We have lived just outside Yosemite for the last 29yrs and nothing in Calif beats this area for dangerous creatures from mammals to bugs, "we got it all".

Our constant companions are, bears, coyotes, skunks, racoons, mt lions, deer, yes, deer can be agressive, hawks, etc.

Also, we have the amazing Brown Recluse spider. This spider bite is no fun at all. I got chewed on by one 4yrs ago while picking apples in a orchard at 4000ft.

I did not know I was hit, I did not feel a thing until 4 days later, numbness in the chest and back area. My doctor figured it out right away and treated it effectively.
He said I was one of the lucky ones who caught it early, delay in treatment is a bad outcome.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:55 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coginthewheel View Post
I've lived in SD and as far north as Lassen Park. The one place the out does them all for killers is Yosemite area.

We have lived just outside Yosemite for the last 29yrs and nothing in Calif beats this area for dangerous creatures from mammals to bugs, "we got it all".

Our constant companions are, bears, coyotes, skunks, racoons, mt lions, deer, yes, deer can be agressive, hawks, etc.

Also, we have the amazing Brown Recluse spider. This spider bite is no fun at all. I got chewed on by one 4yrs ago while picking apples in a orchard at 4000ft.

I did not know I was hit, I did not feel a thing until 4 days later, numbness in the chest and back area. My doctor figured it out right away and treated it effectively.
He said I was one of the lucky ones who caught it early, delay in treatment is a bad outcome.
And all those critters are found statewide....with the exception of the Brown Recluse. A Spider that is not indigenous to the state and is actually quite rare. Thier numbers do not equate to being put on the list as being a 'resident' of California.

I'm still wondering what is up north that is not down south.....

Old 06-23-2015, 05:59 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coginthewheel View Post

Don't you have a nice Elk population by now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California