Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:50 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

Chickens are easy to raise ,I have 15 and I get enough eggs to be able to give some away from time to time.
Feed is not expensive and when the chickens get to a certain age, they are made a meal . ( don't name your food )they are food and not pets .
Normal mature people understand this, and it is a good example for children to understand where their food comes from.
BTW though vegetables don't make sounds they are living things too.
Our bodies live on living tissue and it is the dead over cooked foods that are killing us.
I have two groups of birds ,one group is in a 6' X 6' X 6' kennel ,they are fee to socialize and a rooster keeps them fertilized .
The second group is in a fenced yard, and I have cages for them they roost at night, and I close up for their safety and open in the morning and for the most part free range about 1/2 acre of land. These are younger and still learning to get along with one another .
I hade to isolate the older birds because they would kill the younger ones.
I love my birds especially roasted on the barbeque .
But I will defend them from other predators , they are my investment, not theirs.
I was 7or 8 when dad taught me how to harvest a bird and clean fish and dress game and grow a garden and mom taught me how to cook the food. This is life .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 02:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Neither is the conservative answer of raping the land and anything that moves for the sake of money. Though the concern over poor people is a new spin, I will give you that.
Id never advocate that or the government assistance as a quick answer.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What makes one quoting the bible an extremist? I'm not saying this gives animal cruelty justification. All I'm saying is there is a small but very vocal minority of super liberals that takes certain things to the super extreme.

It sounds ridiculous when someone says that a human should be keep in a cage like a chicken because humans keep chickens in cages. Listen to yourself for a second...
Thats her M.O., take a reasonable statement she doesnt agree with and flip it back at you to the worst extreme!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats her M.O., take a reasonable statement she doesnt agree with and flip it back at you to the worst extreme!
Basing an argument on bible stuff = extreme. Fanciful, even.

Not sure Jesus had much to say about eggs, other than a possible allusion to such commodities not being produced and made available solely for elites. But even the common folk back then understood these things get more expensive with scarcity.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I'm related to a person who works in the "upper echelons" (which ain't saying much -- it's not very big ) of the Pennsylvania Agriculture Department. We are one of the few states which hasn't been hit by avian flu as yet, but the general consensus is that it's only a matter of time.

"Bird flu" and its consequences for the markets, is the overwhelming force behind the rise in egg prices; "animal rights" concerns will, like any other interference by the do-gooders, affect the price, but only marginally.

The epidemic will pass, and things will re-stabilize, but in the meantime, the old adage that "you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs", is going to hit us a little harder in our wallets.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:09 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispytopher View Post
As my youngest is allergic to eggs, we no longer buy them, so I have not noticed the price change. I do believe that if the first line on the initiative description said, "Will make a pack of 12 eggs cost $20," people would still have voted for it. No one except for me (or so it seems) actually reads the details on what they are voting on or against.
Have you tried duck eggs as an alternative? Supposedly those allergic to chicken usually can eat duck with no problems.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:16 PM

47 posts, read 50,454 times
Quote:
The poster you're replying to is a person, not an animal. So asking if he/she wants to live like an animal is kind of silly. Doing so is a false equivalence argument at best...

Genesis 1:28

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
Nitpicking much? I'm am agnostic and even I know that the scripture provided specifically pertains to managing animals. It's up to humans to how they want to treat other species. I'm sure you also believe that Abrahamic-derived belief systems promote slavery, polygamy, and other things that are mentioned in the old books, not the new ones, correct? It's hysterical seeing nitpickers and their lack of understanding when it comes to context and translation.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSoul103 View Post
Nitpicking much? I'm am agnostic and even I know that the scripture provided specifically pertains to managing animals. It's up to humans to how they want to treat other species. I'm sure you also believe that Abrahamic-derived belief systems promote slavery, polygamy, and other things that are mentioned in the old books, not the new ones, correct? It's hysterical seeing nitpickers and their lack of understanding when it comes to context and translation.
I believe you and a few other agnostics & atheists misunderstood my original post. My statement means exactly what it says, nothing less, nothing more.. You're reading too much into it. The scripture speaks for itself.

If you want to debate scripture or discuss human morality, we can do that. I've studied at the college level and on my own human origins. The works of Cheikh Anta Diop might shatter your preconceived notions..

Old 08-11-2015, 07:45 PM

47 posts, read 50,454 times
I got a PhD in every subject available, so what's your point? (I can also lie over the Internet)

Old 08-11-2015, 08:03 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
The works of Cheikh Anta Diop might shatter your preconceived notions..
Sorry. Gene Roddenberry, Carl Sagan and Rod Serling already shattered them back in the 60's. And Marlin Perkins. I always thought orangutans were a bunch of dumb apes until Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California