Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenanS. View Post
I don't think that Mexicans are stealing work from anyone. It's impossible to get a job without a Social Security Number.

Are you not familiar with "cash only" jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Clearly you have never lived anywhere else or you wouldn't make a statement like that, it's totally false

Exactly, I have relatives on Long Island, NY who are paying property taxes that are $16K, that's right $16K a year for a three bedroom home, nice, but certainly not huge and a small lot.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:05 PM

62,878 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Or fake and stolen documents?

Old 08-12-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
That's quite the double-standard considering America's favorite pass-time is occupying foreign countries and killing people, more than one of them innocent civilians who happened to just get in the way.
Apples to oranges strawman argument. Another one for my ignore list.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
LE has every right to ask someone for their ID under lawful contact. The law isn't working because the our government refuses to enforce them. Well, we are going to make sure that they do with the next administration. Objecting to lawlessness isn't whining. Only a lawbreaker themself would make such a ridiculous comment.
Arizona passed a bill SB1070 of which one part was upheld by the Supreme Court. That was the part that allows:
".. state law enforcement officers to attempt to determine an individual's immigration status during a "lawful stop, detention or arrest", when there is reasonable suspicion that the individual is an illegal immigrant".

So it would take more than a lawful "contact"(whatever the heck that means) to invoke the law, it takes a lawful stop, detention or arrest. And it is in no way binding on other states, and some states specifically forbid such questioning.

Here's an example of how Arizona laws worked out for a few people:
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ow-papers-law/

U.S. citizen falsely imprisoned under Arizona's 'show me your papers' law | MSNBC

Courthouse News Service

No Bill of Rights on U.S.-Mexico border » peoplesworld

The law is bullcrap. You know what it does? It punishes people who came here to support their families after our policies destroyed the Mexican farm economy, it causes citizens to be falsely accused and arrested, but the most egregious effect of this law -It makes people are afraid to call the police to report crime or testify against criminals for fear of being deported. But I bet you have nothing at all to say about that because it's much more fun to do a lot of chest pounding about pretend solutions that your republican politicians tell you will fix this problem. Never mind that while they tell you this they are taking big bucks from corporations and agra with the implied promise that they will continue to be able to get all the undocumented workers they ever want or need - no problemo

Do you realize that the guy who really threw open the gates from Mexico was none other than your hero Ronnie Raygun. One of his campaign promises was for an 'open border' between the US Mexico and Canada. Reagan signed an immigration law which included amnesty the same year he saw the most illegal immigrants try to come into the United States during his entire presidency.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 08-12-2015 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Apples to oranges strawman argument. Another one for my ignore list.
I think your ignore list is malfunctioning! At 2:55 you said you put bigdumbgod on ignore. He responded to that at 3:17 and you replied to that post at 4:41

Old 08-12-2015, 07:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
You're misplacing blame. The person at fault is the one who hired undocumented workers. That is still against the law. And not only were they breaking the law hiring illegal labor, under the table, avoiding taxes and everything else that goes with that, they were also exploiting someone desperate enough to work 72 hours a week for $120.

How does the business owner get a pass and the exploited foreigner the enemy? As the drought and the financial collapse in 2007 has proven, if there aren't jobs for undocumented workers, they don't come here. Building walls and obsessing over Mexicans is akin to putting a multi-billion dollar bandaid on a wound that will never heal as long as people keep letting illegal employment practices go unpunished.
Yes the business owner was at fault BUT he could not have done it without illegal aliens wiling to break the law as well to work. BOTH are at fault. I was a loser as a business and because a crook broke the law , actually several business were and are doing this, and the illegals were more than willing to go along with it. Then citizens lost their jobs because of it. Now I agree, deal with both ends of the problem and fine and jail businessmen who do it and stop illegals from coming in. Yes I knew many of the workers and they were good hard working people. Let in anyone who is not a crook and will get a job properly and report all their work activities to the Gov't, so they can make sure no illegal pay, work hours, etc occur. Right now no one is doing anything about it at all, so citizens suffer and illegals suffer. No one cares because not doing anything to stop it makes them feel good as they "think" they are helping the illegals. Stupid.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Undocumented people can get an IRS issued personal tax payer ID # http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf When I lived in Nevada I used to chat with some of the undocumented HOA landscape workers and a few of them told me that there are stores in Mexican neighborhoods that will sell you a photo ID and give you a SSN for someone who is dead.

But seems to me, rather than worry about how they get ID's we should be worrying about why employers aren't using a 100% free and foolproof system for verifying that their new hires have the legal right to live and work in the US, e-verify http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...urces/E4en.pdf

Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 PM

368 posts, read 413,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenanS. View Post
I don't think that Mexicans are stealing work from anyone. It's impossible to get a job without a Social Security Number.
Alex, Ill take NAIVE for $1000. Wow.... Just Wow

Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes the business owner was at fault BUT he could not have done it without illegal aliens wiling to break the law as well to work. BOTH are at fault. I was a loser as a business and because a crook broke the law , actually several business were and are doing this, and the illegals were more than willing to go along with it. Then citizens lost their jobs because of it. Now I agree, deal with both ends of the problem and fine and jail businessmen who do it and stop illegals from coming in. Yes I knew many of the workers and they were good hard working people. Let in anyone who is not a crook and will get a job properly and report all their work activities to the Gov't, so they can make sure no illegal pay, work hours, etc occur. Right now no one is doing anything about it at all, so citizens suffer and illegals suffer. No one cares because not doing anything to stop it makes them feel good as they "think" they are helping the illegals. Stupid.
Illegals suffer? Lawbreakers deserve to suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California