Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times

Advertisements

You can't continually have people moving in without some moving out. Otherwise, you will burst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:10 AM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You can't continually have people moving in without some moving out. Otherwise, you will burst.
True. That comment was hilarious. There's only so much that a land area can support. If this was the case, you would have people living on top of each other and very bad traffic.

People used to say things like "Can the entire world population fit into the state of Texas with a population density not exceeding that of New York City?" It may be possible, but can they all live comfortably?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
moved to missouri (by choice) in 2001...i didn't want to follow the other californians to oregon, washington or colorado! since then my husband has had job relos to georgia and now we have lived in virginia since 2008...it's been an awesome adventure!

Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
moved to missouri (by choice) in 2001...i didn't want to follow the other californians to oregon, washington or colorado! since then my husband has had job relos to georgia and now we have lived in virginia since 2008...it's been an awesome adventure!
Also moved to Missouri by choice and in retirement in 2009. My wife and I settled in the SW, Ozarks region. She was the biggest proponent for the Ozarks having spent most of the 70s in NW Arkansas only about 40 miles from here. That made us a part of the outmigration.

Six weeks ago my wife moved back to Sacramento to be with her family. I also have family there (three daughters and five grandchildren) but I'm staying here. If I do end up having to move to be close to family due to old age (I'm 69 now) it will be in the opposite direction.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Interesting article about the effect of California 'out migration' on housing prices in other states Keep out Californians: How high home prices in California migrate into other states where Californians follow. » Dr. Housing Bubble Blog

Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Actually, most immigrants are legal, and many are Ivy edumacated. In general, CA has become a land of superstars and survivors. There are not very many good niches for middle income people who are not superstars. Think of something like a couple of Londons with the poorest parts of Portugal attached.
Boy do you have rose colored glasses on. Most legal immigrants are via "family reunification". Many are relatively unskilled and uneducated. Of the 2.5 million estimated illegal migrants the vast majority are of that unskilled/uneducated demographic. I lived in Salinas, Merced and Fresno. I've seen it up close and personal for decades. You might see it as mostly H1B visa holders, but that's not the case for the majority of the state.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Interesting article about the effect of California 'out migration' on housing prices in other states Keep out Californians: How high home prices in California migrate into other states where Californians follow. » Dr. Housing Bubble Blog
People in Portland have been whiny blowhards for decades. Nothing new. (Same with AZ)
If you want to build a wall around your precious fragile states, please do so. You know who will say he will fund it.
We got a similar issue with the "No More Chinese" graffiti going up in SF. About as classy as the anti-CA sticker people in Portlandia.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:22 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Also moved to Missouri by choice and in retirement in 2009. My wife and I settled in the SW, Ozarks region. She was the biggest proponent for the Ozarks having spent most of the 70s in NW Arkansas only about 40 miles from here. That made us a part of the outmigration.

Six weeks ago my wife moved back to Sacramento to be with her family. I also have family there (three daughters and five grandchildren) but I'm staying here. If I do end up having to move to be close to family due to old age (I'm 69 now) it will be in the opposite direction.
that's the same area we moved to! we were right outside of springfield, in a little town called willard. my husband had family in columbia and lake of the ozarks and that's how i started researching the area...he got a job out there and they moved us...it all worked so easily, like it was meant to be....we both still have most of our family in san diego but i really have no desire to move back there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California