Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times

Advertisements

Over half of new California driver

Quote:
More than half of the driver’s licenses California has issued in 2015 have gone to residents living in the country illegally, reflecting the success of a new law extending licenses to people regardless of residency status.
A new California law offering licenses to undocumented immigrants has proved enormously popular. Nearly half a million people applied for those licenses between the start of 2015 and early April, exceeding the pace of California Department of Motor Vehicles’ expectations for 1.4 million applications over three years.
The number of applications from undocumented immigrants ballooned to 687,000 as of June, and immigrants in California illegally have outpaced other recipients. Of the 759,000 total licenses the DMV has issued, 397,000 – or 52 percent – have gone to the undocumented. More than 1.1 million undocumented immigrants have taken the written test, and another 436,000 have taken the driving test.
I think it was a surprise how many people actually came in in the first six months,” said Jessica Gonzalez, a DMV spokeswoman.
Was this really a surprise to anyone in California?

California's AB60 law has become quite popular for all the wrong reasons, this just furthers the damage done to the legal citizens of California by Jerry Brown.

AB60 Driver License Implementation

Quote:
AB 60 Program Information

Assembly Bill (AB) 60 (Chapter 524: Statutes of 2013) requires the department to issue an original driver license to an applicant who is unable to submit satisfactory proof of legal presence in the United States. Driver license applicants under AB 60 must meet all other qualifications for licensure and must provide satisfactory proof of identity and California residency.
AB 60 also requires the department to develop regulations and consult with interested parties in an effort to assist the department in identifying documents that will be acceptable for the purposes of providing documentation to establish identity and residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 AM

I found a FAQ document about AB60 and I thought this portion was particularly amazing.

Quote:
Is there any risk of using an AB 60 license with law enforcement?
Quote:

It is against the law for state and local law enfor
cement to discriminate against someone because he
or she has an AB 60 license. This means that you
can use your AB 60 license to identify yourself to
California police officers if you get pulled over in a traffic stop.
But the law does not protect against discrimination fr
om federal law enforceme
nt or law enforcement
from other states. Because of this, do not present
an AB 60 license to federal officials, such as ICE,
CBP, or TSA, or to law enforcement in another state.

Can I use an AB 60 license to board an airplane?

We recommend NOT using an AB 60 license to board an airplane. There are two risks. First, the
Transportation Security Administration (TSA) might
not accept it. The TSA has been inconsistent
regarding the acceptance of AB 60 licenses (or simi
lar licenses from other states). Second, and
more importantly, TSA officials could use the license as a basis to stop someone, question that
person, and ultimately refer the person to ICE.
AB 60 does not protect against discrimination by TSA
officials, and the concern is that TSA agents may
use an AB 60 license to flag people and refer them
to ICE. If a person needs to fly, she should
use other identity documents, such as an unexpired
passport, and be aware that TSA engages in immigration enforcement.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:36 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
This is why the Democrats put in the new law where you are automatically registered to vote when you go to the DMV to register all the illegal aliens and insure they stay in power foreaver so they can make sure they totally destroy this once great state.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:44 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
I support DL's for illegals for the simple reason they are here and that's not going to change. From a security and criminal justice standpoint, it is far better to have illegals photographed, identified and fingerprinted than to have them running around anonymously. Furthermore, illegals with DL's means many of them will have auto insurance. If you're going to have an auto collision it's far better for the other party to have I.D. and insurance than no I.D. and no insurance. Bottom line is both illegals and citizens win here.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I support DL's for illegals for the simple reason they are here and that's not going to change. From a security and criminal justice standpoint, it is far better to have illegals photographed, identified and fingerprinted than to have them running around anonymously. Furthermore, illegals with DL's means many of them will have auto insurance. If you're going to have an auto collision it's far better for the other party to have I.D. and insurance than no I.D. and no insurance. Bottom line is both illegals and citizens win here.
Do you have any data that backs up your statements about things like insurance?

Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I wish all these people who spend all day long bitching about how California is going to hell would just get the hell out and leave our poor degenerating State to those of us who like it here.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I wish all these people who spend all day long bitching about how California is going to hell would just get the hell out and leave our poor degenerating State to those of us who like it here.
Sorry but your degenerating state is ignoring federal immigration law and issuing driver's licenses to illegal immigrants who then drive to other states. This is much bigger than just a CA problem.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
OK, now ICE can track them down and round them up.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
OK, now ICE can track them down and round them up.
If it weren't for the language in Jerry Brown's AB 60 that specifically prevents that from happening... maybe. It's just like how Jerry purposely made it impossible to search DMV records to see who is and isn't illegal so that when the motor voter law passed people couldn't cross reference and catch illegals voting with their new CA DL.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:48 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Yet none of that touches on anything any alien has done in their past. They can have a criminal history a mile long and we just wipe it clean. There is no win/win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: